jg121783

ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ MISQUOTES THE CONSTITUTION

74 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, bcking said:

Question 1: "Are you a racist?"

Question 2: "Are you a terrorist?"

You are describing what the House is intended to be. There is a reason we have both. I think a lot could be done so that the House actually represents "the people", but I don't think we need to turn the Senate into basically a second House.

I can't read those two words without it sounding like that one song in Hamilton. They just roll off the tongue so well. It's great alliteration.

Problem with the Senate though you're going to have a body of government that'll become increasingly isolated from the rest of the country. We know the population of the big cities/suburbs are increasing every day while the rural areas are going down. You could feasibly have 1/3rd of the country dictating what the other 2/3rds does. The bottom 25 states by population (50 senators) is equivalent to New York and California (4 senators). 

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

1 minute ago, JimandChristy said:

Problem with the Senate though you're going to have a body of government that'll become increasingly isolated from the rest of the country. We know the population of the big cities/suburbs are increasing every day while the rural areas are going down. You could feasibly have 1/3rd of the country dictating what the other 2/3rds does. The bottom 25 states by population (50 senators) is equivalent to New York and California (4 senators). 

New York and California have a lot more representatives in the House, so they have "proportionately" more say there.

I have a bigger issue with whether the representatives in the House truly represent a fair breakdown of people in their states (Gerrymandering).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JimandChristy said:

The bottom 25 states do not have cities?

As has been mentioned Senators represent their State.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The bottom 25 states do not have cities?

As has been mentioned Senators represent their State.

He said bottom 25 states by population have the same population as NY and California, yet are represented by 12.5 times more Senators.

I haven't fact checked his numbers but I'm just clarifying what was said.

Filed: Timeline
16 minutes ago, JimandChristy said:

Don't worry, the tide will turn again as people who think city dwelling today realize the error of their ways, then their kids will move to more rural locations.  Cyclical.

6 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Don't worry, the tide will turn again as people who think city dwelling today realize the error of their ways, then their kids will move to more rural locations.  Cyclical.

I wish it was more practical to have the best of both worlds. Live in a village, commute to a city. That's just rare in the USA these days. I think better public transportation would certainly help.

It's one of the primary reasons my wife and I see moving to the UK as an improvement in "Quality of life". We could realistically live in a smaller community, but I could still work at a large academic hospital and she could work at a Supermajor (or similar company). 45 minute commute (mostly by train) can get you into a village. 45 minute commute (in heavy traffic) here in Houston gets you to a plastic fake suburb with strip malls.

Edited by bcking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, bcking said:

I wish it was more practical to have the best of both worlds. Live in a village, commute to a city. That's just rare in the USA these days. I think better public transportation would certainly help.

It's one of the primary reasons my wife and I see moving to the UK as an improvement in "Quality of life". We could realistically live in a smaller community, but I could still work at a large academic hospital and she could work at a Supermajor (or similar company). 45 minute commute (mostly by train) can get you into a village. 45 minute commute (in heavy traffic) here in Houston gets you to a plastic fake suburb with strip malls.

Personally, I commute from a northern suburb every day (well almost, some days I telecommute).  It is actually a nice little village with some really nice activities. Neither me, nor my wife have any desire to live in a "city".  As the other poster said though, people of this generation tend to be migrating toward the cities for whatever reason, but as another poster mentioned that, like most things, are cyclical.  I do wonder, if everyone is moving to the cities, who is going to grow all the food?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, JimandChristy said:

I think they need to increase the term of a Representative from two to four years and reduce the term of a Senator from six to four. Make it uniform right across the board. The problem with two years for a Representative is they spend the majority of the time campaigning for their re-election bid instead of doing their job. Senators get too comfortable in my opinion, six years is a long time and they need to be kept on their toes more. 

By god you finally did it 

34 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Personally, I commute from a northern suburb every day (well almost, some days I telecommute).  It is actually a nice little village with some really nice activities. Neither me, nor my wife have any desire to live in a "city".  As the other poster said though, people of this generation tend to be migrating toward the cities for whatever reason, but as another poster mentioned that, like most things, are cyclical.  I do wonder, if everyone is moving to the cities, who is going to grow all the food?

We are just a little stuck in the US because of the location of oil and gas. If she wants to continue working with kids (which she does) we are stuck around Houston. We can't live in a nice village community and commute into Houston.

On the other hand you can commute into London from some very nice village type places. 

Filed: Timeline
53 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Personally, I commute from a northern suburb every day (well almost, some days I telecommute).  It is actually a nice little village with some really nice activities. Neither me, nor my wife have any desire to live in a "city".  As the other poster said though, people of this generation tend to be migrating toward the cities for whatever reason, but as another poster mentioned that, like most things, are cyclical.  I do wonder, if everyone is moving to the cities, who is going to grow all the food?

That’s the beauty of it.  No need to kill cows and chickens, they can just go to the grocery stores where they make that stuff!

On 12/11/2018 at 8:14 PM, The Nature Boy said:

By god you finally did it 

giphy.gif

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, JimandChristy said:

giphy.gif

Seems off topic.  Are you thanking Obama for the ignorance of Ocasio-Cortez?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!