ClickityClackity

Getting drivers license in California during a visit

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
6 hours ago, lauragp91 said:

Speaking from my own experience with the California DMV. K1 holder here and waiting for EAD. I tried to get my license in San Jose, CA in September after I got my NOA from filing AOS. I brought my i-94 (which wasn’t expired) and the NOA along with my lease agreement and electricity bill with my name on it. They didn’t let me get my license. Mind you the person who checks documents at the entrance thought it was fine so she let me get in and take a number. It took 7 hours (9 am to 4 pm) for my number to be called. When I reached the window the lady there said I need to come back once I get my EAD. 7 hours wasted and here I am 3 months later and still don’t have a license. 

Oh damn, that sucks. I really hope they were in the wrong. Have you tried going to a different DMV? Maybe the lady at the booth was wrong!

1 hour ago, Mary&Rafa said:

Oh damn, that sucks. I really hope they were in the wrong. Have you tried going to a different DMV? Maybe the lady at the booth was wrong!

I'm not familiar with California specifically, but it is common in many states that you can not get a driver's license without an EAD

1 hour ago, Mary&Rafa said:

No, actually it is common for DMVs to wait for EADs rather than NOA. A NOA1 only shows that a case was received. Anything can happen with that case, like the immigratant being ineligible to AOS. If that is the case then an immigrant does not qualify for a DL because they are not technically a resident.

Not being able to drive is one of the big downfalls, amoungst others, of the K1. The K1 visa has many limitations, yet it still remains popular of the marriage based visas. I constantly tell people I know if they only knew how much the K1 process sucks. Many immigrants are limited many things they can do to assimilate to being in the US like working and driving for many months.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

23 hours ago, Mary&Rafa said:

Well EAD is taking almost 8 months, so I sincerely hope I can get my Dl well before that

That’s one of the pitfalls of the K-1. Not all states grant a DL until EAD is approved. But at the same time they don’t allow you to drive very long on an overseas license. There are people who came here on a K-1 who spend months not being able to drive. Not too bad if you live in midtown Manhattan with buses every two minutes and plenty of things in walking distance but where I live in the mountains you’d be housebound unless you enjoy mountain hikes.  Too late for you now, but worth mentioning in case any readers are still wondering whether to go for the K-1 or CR-1.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Mary&Rafa said:

I haven’t tried again because the wait is too long if you go in without an appointment like last time (most of the DMV offices in this area are terrible packed) so I requested an appointment at a different one and the first one available was December 14th. I’ll report back once I go! 

Edited by lauragp91

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.