Jump to content

11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello we are working on our affidavit of support for AOS on K1 visa

My current income is above the 20,000 recommended. 

My 2017 and 2016 are above too - however only my 2015 was lower.

 

Do I NEED to get a joint sponsor? Has anyone had anything similar to this?

Thank you


Old website:  Feb 15th

New Website: Feb 19th

Approved: Sept 4th

Case# Received: Sept 21st

Medical: Sept 28th

Interview: Nov 7th

POE: ???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

 

what is your current income? the most important one is your current income

 

 

It's $26,000 before taxes

Edited by Jen&Cal

Old website:  Feb 15th

New Website: Feb 19th

Approved: Sept 4th

Case# Received: Sept 21st

Medical: Sept 28th

Interview: Nov 7th

POE: ???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are most concerned about current income. what you made 3 years ago isnt much concern to them.


5/7/2018 K1       Application mailed

5/9/2018             Application rec'd and signed for (sent via fedex)

5/14/2018          NOA1 Email notification

5/18/2018          NOA1 Paper copy rec'd (i797C)

11/5/2018          NOA2 ❤️ no RFE's

11/19/2018        NVC Received file

12/13/2018        Consulate received/ ready to schedule interview

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jen&Cal said:

It's $26,000 before taxes

You are fine. Just be sure you read the full instructions for form I-864 because a lot of RFEs happen because they are filled out incorrectly or incomplete evidence is submitted. For example, the 2017 tax return is required.

 

A complete tax return is all the forms and schedules in the tax return PLUS the W-2 or 1099 wage statement for 2017. A W2 alone doesn't cut it. Or you can order the (free) 2017 tax return transcript from the IRS and it stands alone with nothing further needed with it. I highly recommend getting the transcript. Line 22 is the number they look at to be. Make sure you state your income as that amount from Line 22 if that is the only evidence you will send. If you make more now than in 2017,  you can put your current income on the form, but you will need an employer letter that backs up the amount you say in the form.

 

I hope that makes sense-- you can't say you make $26,000/yr on the form unless you have some proof of that to back it up. Otherwise they might look at your 2017 tax return that said $24,000 and send an RFE for not adding proof of the $26,000. While either is over the requirement, you will get a vaguely worded RFE saying you don't qualify. It's not that you don't earn enough, but that you failed to prove the salary you stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You are fine. Just be sure you read the full instructions for form I-864 because a lot of RFEs happen because they are filled out incorrectly or incomplete evidence is submitted. For example, the 2017 tax return is required.

 

A complete tax return is all the forms and schedules in the tax return PLUS the W-2 or 1099 wage statement for 2017. A W2 alone doesn't cut it. Or you can order the (free) 2017 tax return transcript from the IRS and it stands alone with nothing further needed with it. I highly recommend getting the transcript. Line 22 is the number they look at to be. Make sure you state your income as that amount from Line 22 if that is the only evidence you will send. If you make more now than in 2017,  you can put your current income on the form, but you will need an employer letter that backs up the amount you say in the form.

 

I hope that makes sense-- you can't say you make $26,000/yr on the form unless you have some proof of that to back it up. Otherwise they might look at your 2017 tax return that said $24,000 and send an RFE for not adding proof of the $26,000. While either is over the requirement, you will get a vaguely worded RFE saying you don't qualify. It's not that you don't earn enough, but that you failed to prove the salary you stated.

 

Thank you this makes sense !

 

So I have my 2017, 16 and 15 tax returns.

The 2017 one has the box 22 but the 2016 and 2015 have the gross income listed under box 4. ( does that matter ? )

 

I also have my W2s to coincide. 

 

My 2017 tax return says 28,653 in box 22 so I think that is all that will be necessary?

What about paystubs and letter from work?

I have a letter from my employer from Oct 29th that I used for the first affidavit of support. 

 

Thanks.

 

 


Old website:  Feb 15th

New Website: Feb 19th

Approved: Sept 4th

Case# Received: Sept 21st

Medical: Sept 28th

Interview: Nov 7th

POE: ???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jen&Cal said:

 

Thank you this makes sense !

 

So I have my 2017, 16 and 15 tax returns.

The 2017 one has the box 22 but the 2016 and 2015 have the gross income listed under box 4. ( does that matter ? )

 

I also have my W2s to coincide. 

 

My 2017 tax return says 28,653 in box 22 so I think that is all that will be necessary?

What about paystubs and letter from work?

I have a letter from my employer from Oct 29th that I used for the first affidavit of support. 

 

Thanks.

 

 

Not exactly sure what you are looking at. A tax return Form 1040 calls them Lines, not boxes.

Line 22 Total Income.

If the other tax returns are not a FORM 1040 (maybe 1040A or 1040EZ) then you will not find total income on Line 22.

 

So start with telling which tax forms you have used each year.

Edited by Wuozopo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Not exactly sure what you are looking at. A tax return Form 1040 calls them Lines, not boxes.

Line 22 Total Income.

If the other tax returns are not a FORM 1040 (maybe 1040A or 1040EZ) then you will not find total income on Line 22.

 

So start with telling which tax forms you have used each year.

Okay yes for 2017 it is a form 1040A, for 2016 it is a form 1040EZ, for 2015 it is a 1040EZ

 

Thanks!


Old website:  Feb 15th

New Website: Feb 19th

Approved: Sept 4th

Case# Received: Sept 21st

Medical: Sept 28th

Interview: Nov 7th

POE: ???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jen&Cal said:

Okay yes for 2017 it is a form 1040A, for 2016 it is a form 1040EZ, for 2015 it is a 1040EZ

 

Thanks!

1040A Use Total Income Line 15

1040EZ Use Adjusted Gross Income Line 4

 

You only have to mail in 2017, but the I-864 asks for those amounts from 2015, 2016, 2017 on page 5, #24a, 24b, 24c.  You may mail in all 3 years if you want to, but they do see the amounts on your form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

1040A Use Total Income Line 15

1040EZ Use Adjusted Gross Income Line 4

 

You only have to mail in 2017, but the I-864 asks for those amounts from 2015, 2016, 2017 on page 5, #24a, 24b, 24c.  You may mail in all 3 years if you want to, but they do see the amounts on your form.

Thank you ! Should I include paystubs?


Old website:  Feb 15th

New Website: Feb 19th

Approved: Sept 4th

Case# Received: Sept 21st

Medical: Sept 28th

Interview: Nov 7th

POE: ???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×