11 posts in this topic

Hello we are working on our affidavit of support for AOS on K1 visa

My current income is above the 20,000 recommended. 

My 2017 and 2016 are above too - however only my 2015 was lower.

Do I NEED to get a joint sponsor? Has anyone had anything similar to this?

Thank you

9 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

what is your current income? the most important one is your current income

It's $26,000 before taxes

Edited by Jen&Cal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They are most concerned about current income. what you made 3 years ago isnt much concern to them.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, Jen&Cal said:

It's $26,000 before taxes

You are fine. Just be sure you read the full instructions for form I-864 because a lot of RFEs happen because they are filled out incorrectly or incomplete evidence is submitted. For example, the 2017 tax return is required.

A complete tax return is all the forms and schedules in the tax return PLUS the W-2 or 1099 wage statement for 2017. A W2 alone doesn't cut it. Or you can order the (free) 2017 tax return transcript from the IRS and it stands alone with nothing further needed with it. I highly recommend getting the transcript. Line 22 is the number they look at to be. Make sure you state your income as that amount from Line 22 if that is the only evidence you will send. If you make more now than in 2017,  you can put your current income on the form, but you will need an employer letter that backs up the amount you say in the form.

I hope that makes sense-- you can't say you make $26,000/yr on the form unless you have some proof of that to back it up. Otherwise they might look at your 2017 tax return that said $24,000 and send an RFE for not adding proof of the $26,000. While either is over the requirement, you will get a vaguely worded RFE saying you don't qualify. It's not that you don't earn enough, but that you failed to prove the salary you stated.

10 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You are fine. Just be sure you read the full instructions for form I-864 because a lot of RFEs happen because they are filled out incorrectly or incomplete evidence is submitted. For example, the 2017 tax return is required.

A complete tax return is all the forms and schedules in the tax return PLUS the W-2 or 1099 wage statement for 2017. A W2 alone doesn't cut it. Or you can order the (free) 2017 tax return transcript from the IRS and it stands alone with nothing further needed with it. I highly recommend getting the transcript. Line 22 is the number they look at to be. Make sure you state your income as that amount from Line 22 if that is the only evidence you will send. If you make more now than in 2017,  you can put your current income on the form, but you will need an employer letter that backs up the amount you say in the form.

I hope that makes sense-- you can't say you make $26,000/yr on the form unless you have some proof of that to back it up. Otherwise they might look at your 2017 tax return that said $24,000 and send an RFE for not adding proof of the $26,000. While either is over the requirement, you will get a vaguely worded RFE saying you don't qualify. It's not that you don't earn enough, but that you failed to prove the salary you stated.

Thank you this makes sense !

So I have my 2017, 16 and 15 tax returns.

The 2017 one has the box 22 but the 2016 and 2015 have the gross income listed under box 4. ( does that matter ? )

I also have my W2s to coincide. 

My 2017 tax return says 28,653 in box 22 so I think that is all that will be necessary?

What about paystubs and letter from work?

I have a letter from my employer from Oct 29th that I used for the first affidavit of support. 

Thanks.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jen&Cal said:

Thank you this makes sense !

So I have my 2017, 16 and 15 tax returns.

The 2017 one has the box 22 but the 2016 and 2015 have the gross income listed under box 4. ( does that matter ? )

I also have my W2s to coincide. 

My 2017 tax return says 28,653 in box 22 so I think that is all that will be necessary?

What about paystubs and letter from work?

I have a letter from my employer from Oct 29th that I used for the first affidavit of support. 

Thanks.

Not exactly sure what you are looking at. A tax return Form 1040 calls them Lines, not boxes.

Line 22 Total Income.

If the other tax returns are not a FORM 1040 (maybe 1040A or 1040EZ) then you will not find total income on Line 22.

So start with telling which tax forms you have used each year.

Edited by Wuozopo

42 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Not exactly sure what you are looking at. A tax return Form 1040 calls them Lines, not boxes.

Line 22 Total Income.

If the other tax returns are not a FORM 1040 (maybe 1040A or 1040EZ) then you will not find total income on Line 22.

So start with telling which tax forms you have used each year.

Okay yes for 2017 it is a form 1040A, for 2016 it is a form 1040EZ, for 2015 it is a 1040EZ

Thanks!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jen&Cal said:

Okay yes for 2017 it is a form 1040A, for 2016 it is a form 1040EZ, for 2015 it is a 1040EZ

Thanks!

1040A Use Total Income Line 15

1040EZ Use Adjusted Gross Income Line 4

You only have to mail in 2017, but the I-864 asks for those amounts from 2015, 2016, 2017 on page 5, #24a, 24b, 24c.  You may mail in all 3 years if you want to, but they do see the amounts on your form.

12 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

1040A Use Total Income Line 15

1040EZ Use Adjusted Gross Income Line 4

You only have to mail in 2017, but the I-864 asks for those amounts from 2015, 2016, 2017 on page 5, #24a, 24b, 24c.  You may mail in all 3 years if you want to, but they do see the amounts on your form.

Thank you ! Should I include paystubs?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Jen&Cal said:

Thank you ! Should I include paystubs?

Have you read the 17 pages of instructions yet? See page 7-8:

Part 6. Sponsor’s Employment and Income 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.