LDSCRAKE

DS-160 police record check, incident when I was 12

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello Guys, 

I'm very excited to share that our case is currently at the NVC and me and my fiancé have received our LND case number. 

I'm now preparing my documents that will be required for interview.I've travelled to the USA  the first time I travelled to America was for 2 weeks a B1 Visa when I was 18 back in.  The visa never requires a police check and I was granted with no issues. I have also lived in Canada and served as a missionary for my church for 2 years.

Since 2013 I have travelled to America numerous times on ESTAS as my B1 was only valid for a year.  I have travelled  4 times this year and I'm heading there to be with my fiancé for Christmas. 

Now I'm applying for a K1 Visa. And I just applied for my police record check on Friday. There was a question on the police record check that prompted me to do some deep thinking.   It asked me to declare all spent convictions, reprimands, warnings and cautions. So I emailed my local police station to ask about the offence.

When I was 12 years old I got in a fight with another 12 year old kid and received a reprimand from a police officer at the police station.  ( A strong telling off) .  Although this won't show on my record as I was a child and it clears after 5 years. The check may come back as "no LIVE trace" which means there's history of an offence but has been spent. However, The US still require me to provide them with documentation of the offence.  Since it takes 40 days to prepare a special report from the police I have gone ahead and requested this already. So by the time I get back in January I will have it ready for the interview. 

To this day when I've applied for visa waivers etc I've never felt inclined to share this because to be truthful I've completely forgotten about the incident and I never believed it was required to declare a reprimand. 

I guess now I've gotten myself all worried about the situation.  

I am 100% prepared to declare this arrest on the DS-160. I know it's down to the consular officer in regards to the final decision. 

I'm just reaching out to see if anyone can relate or share there visa interview experience after declaring an arrest and if this incident when i was 12 will cause issues come my interview in January. 

I appreciate all feedback thoughts and advice... 

Kind Regards, 

Owen 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

no, you dont have to worry about a scolding from the police when you were 12 years old.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had a similar thing happen to me when I was 12 and my police record came back as “no live trace”. I got the further access report and it had the details of my reprimand on there. The CO at my interview said it was good that I had it and once they read it they were fine about it.

I had previously held a work visa for the states and never declared this on my DS-160 and I never had to give them a police report (that’s what the company lawyer told me to do). However, with the K1 you obviously do, but I didn’t declare it on my DS-160 as I never thought anything would come back on my police record. 

Glad to say everything went fine with the interview in London on the 2nd November and I fly out on Tuesday. All that was asked about it was “since this happened in 2004 have you ever been in trouble again”. I said no and then they approved me.

Just make sure you have that further access report and you’ll be fine. BTW that report came through in 10 days. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, LDSCRAKE said:
To this day when I've applied for visa waivers etc I've never felt inclined to share this because to be truthful I've completely forgotten about the incident and I never believed it was required to declare a reprimand. 

I guess now I've gotten myself all worried about the situation.  

This worry has come up before in this U.K. forum. I've been around a long time and seen a lot go through. Somebody is going to jump in and say they will get you for misrepresentation on your ESTA. No, they won't.  They really won't. The other extreme worriers had zero problems except being inside their head too much. The interviews had no issues. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, thatguyuknow said:

What report did you ask for? Who did you write to?

Just like to ask, might help other people.

Spent records are in the Subject Access Report ordered from ACRO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.