Mrijex

K1 interview without tax returns

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi guys, 

I'm not that experienced in posting here but have been a lurker for a while and wanted to see if the knowledge of this community could help me figure something out. I'm the beneficiary (Dutch nationality and will also try to post this in a country specific thread if it exists), and am planning for my K1 visa interview. We received Noa2 beginning of October and I received the 'K1 pre appointment package' end of October. We've been trying to get our papers together this past month and have run into something. So we have prepared the i134 including a statement from his boss and a statement from the bank but now the checklist said 'including latest tax returns' - we've never read this before and are panicking a little. Our situation is the following:

USC lived in the Netherlands with me from August 2016 to September 2017. Then was supported by his mother until January 2018 when he found his current job. Didn't do tax returns for 2018 bc didn't make enough by April and didn't do tax returns in 2017 because he wasn't in the USA. Latest tax returns are thus from 2016 and possibly misplaced. 

My questions:

-what if I go to the interview with no tax returns? Just the i134 with letter from boss and bank

- I see we can request tax return transcripts from the IRS, what if we do this for the latest tax return and I bring that (so only 2016)?

- I know he can still file for 2018 and 2017 even though he didn't make hardly anything.. Would that help? 

I'm a little confused why they need the tax returns and don't know what to do. Open to everybody's help... 

K1 (2018)

Feb 28: petition sent

March 12: NOA1

October 10: NOA2

Feb 5 2019: Interview (approved!)

Feb 12: Passport received, visa in hand

March 12: enter US, POE; Boston

March 21st (1st day of spring🌻😞 married!

AOS (2019) 

April 12: Sent in AOS, EAD and AP

April 15: Delivered at USCIS

May 15: Opened service req for NOA1

May 20: NOA1

May 30: Opened service req for biometrics appointment scheduling

June 6: Requested expedite processing on EAD (via phone)

June 12: Asked to fax evidence for expedite, sent in job offer (non-profit) and cover letter

June 17: Received RFIE (birth certificate) - notified that EAD expedite was on hold

June 20: Evidence received by USCIS after overnighting

June 21: Asked for expedite request to be re-activated (via phone)

June 26: Expedite could not be completed because of missing biometrics (E-mail)

June 26: Biometrics appointment got scheduled (for July 9)

July 3: Walk- in biometrics

July 8: Asked for expedite request to be re-activated (via phone)

July 13: Expedite request for EAD was approved (E-mail)

July 17: Hard copy of Notice of Approval for both EAD and AP in snail mail- online status changed to card was mailed to me 

July 20: EAD/ AP combo card in hand

He should have still filed a tax return even when he was overseas - all USCs are required to file a tax return every year no matter where they are. The only exception is if they were earning below the filing threshold. If that’s the case, he needs to write a statement explaining that he was not required to file in 201x and 201y (whichever years it is) because his total income for the year was below the filing threshold. If he made a dollar over the limit, he must file. Likely he won’t have to actually pay any taxes but the filing requirement always applies. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, JFH said:

Thanks for the quick respons!

My question still remains: if id bring the transcripts for the years that he was required to file- what will they use it for?? He's above the poverty line in his current job but may not always have been, will that be an issue?? 

K1 (2018)

AOS (2019) 

June 12: Asked to fax evidence for expedite, sent in job offer (non-profit) and cover letter

June 17: Received RFIE (birth certificate) - notified that EAD expedite was on hold

July 17: Hard copy of Notice of Approval for both EAD and AP in snail mail- online status changed to card was mailed to me 

Timeline

Adding to this: we're looking at getting the transcripts from the IRS, has everybody done that before? They also have an option where you can require the 'copy' but it's expensive in money and time. Will the transcripts suffice? 

K1 (2018)

AOS (2019) 

1 minute ago, Mrijex said:

Thanks for the quick respons!

My question still remains: if id bring the transcripts for the years that he was required to file- what will they use it for?? He's above the poverty line in his current job but may not always have been, will that be an issue?? 

Who knows what they use the previous tax returns for? Maybe it’s just to check that he has been meeting his obligations. They will base the affidavit if support decision on his current income so if that’s above the poverty line then it should be fine. But if they’ve asked for previous tax returns, just take them with you. We are asked all sorts of unusual questions in this process and often we never know why. At my interview for example, I was asked how long my father worked overseas. This was for a spouse visa and I have had almost no contact with my father since my parents divorced many years ago. Strange question...

3 minutes ago, Mrijex said:

Adding to this: we're looking at getting the transcripts from the IRS, has everybody done that before? They also have an option where you can require the 'copy' but it's expensive in money and time. Will the transcripts suffice? 

Transcripts requested online are fine. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Tax returns are for the last 3 years. If you only bring 2016 while he had to file in 2017 and he didn’t do that without good reason, that is not enough. But I can remember from my interview in April (I’m also Dutch) that they didn’t ask for them, just the financial papers you have to fill out. For your AOS it is required though, so he has to pay a late filing fee and still file. You can request the available transcripts online at the IRS

Timeline

Thanks everybody for responding. I really wanna get this right. I think he's filed for the right years, we're just going to have to get the transcripts. It still baffles me this is decided by the consulates or embassys and I didn't see until the pre appointment checklist came in. Also I really hope they're not going to use previous years to show that he wouldn't have the financial means because he's at a place now where he can, which the letter from his job shows clearly. If anybody knows specifically why they need this feel free to enlighten us 

K1 (2018)

AOS (2019) 

Timeline
3 hours ago, JFH said:

Transcripts requested online are fine. 

Can I ask do you: or anybody reading this for that matter, have experience knowing that the transcripts will be enough or did you read it somewhere?? Just trying to make sure 

K1 (2018)

AOS (2019) 

14 hours ago, Mrijex said:

Can I ask do you: or anybody reading this for that matter, have experience knowing that the transcripts will be enough or did you read it somewhere?? Just trying to make sure 

It's stated in the I-864 instructions. The I-134 is a nonbinding document but follows the same general rules as the (binding) I-864, which you will use for AOS later.

Tax returns are not strictly required for the I-134, but are commonly requested by COs for many countries.

Having filed for the past 3 years  (currently 2015-2017) is required for AOS later. If he didn't file for a year, he needs to correct that (unless his income was under the IRS filing threshold).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

16 hours ago, Mrijex said:

Hello, I got my Tax Transcripts online, you will need to fill out a bit of information, SSN, DOB, and Phone number. After that you will be able to download the PDF free, you can also have it mailed to you for free. I have gotten them both ways, Mail takes about 8 working days, while the online printout is instant. 

TIMELINE:

May 22 2018              I-129F Filed
May 30 2018              I-129F NOA1 
Nov. 07 2018              I-129F NOA2
Nov. 21 2018              Case received by NVC

Dec. 04 2018              Case # Assigned

Dec. 11 2018              Visa Application in Transit to Manila Embassy 📭

Dec. 13 2018              Visa Application set to READY 📬

Dec. 27 2018              Interview Date US Embassy - Read Review Here

Jan. 05 2019              Visa on hand

Jan. 16 2019              US Entry (San Francisco POE) - Read Review Here

Feb. 11 2019              Marriage 👰🤵

Mar. 12 2019              AOS mailed

Mar. 14 2019              AOS delivered to USCIS Chicago

Mar. 19 2019              AOS NOA

Apr. 09 2019               Biometrics done (Status stayed as "Fingerprint fee received" for 4 months

Aug. 09 2019              Interview Ready to be Scheduled
Oct. 10 2019               EAD and AP (approved after 212 days)

Oct. 18 2019               EAD/AP Combo card received

Feb. 20 2020              GC Interview, no same day result, case in review (SF Field Office) - Read Review Here

Feb. 21 2020              (next day) Status changed to New card is being produced!

Feb. 10 2022              Mailed I-751 ROC

Feb. 11 2022              I-751 date filed

Feb. 14 2022              NOA1 (WAC)

Jul. 13 2022               NOA2- biometric appointment waived, no refund for fee collected, old biometrics will  be reused

Jul. 14 2022               Case Status: 4 "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken"

Dec. 26 2022             Filed N-400 online, NOA and Biometrics reuse same date

Mar. 20 2023             NOA3- 48 month GC extension from date of expiration

Oct. 18 2023              Case status: I-751 ROC transferred to another office

Oct. 19 2023              Case status: "We transferred your Form I751 yo another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case"

Oct. 21 2023              Case status: "New Card Is Being Produced"

Oct. 23 2023              N-400 Interview was scheduled

Oct. 24 2023              Case status: "We approved your Form I-751"

Oct. 25 2023              Case status: "Card was mailed to me"

Timeline
9 hours ago, confusedshoes said:

Hello, I got my Tax Transcripts online, you will need to fill out a bit of information, SSN, DOB, and Phone number. After that you will be able to download the PDF free, you can also have it mailed to you for free. I have gotten them both ways, Mail takes about 8 working days, while the online printout is instant. 

Thank you! So then have you also used the transcripts for the purpose im using them for?? (K1 visa interview?) just want to see if we don't need the whole copy. 

K1 (2018)

AOS (2019) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mrijex said:

Thank you! So then have you also used the transcripts for the purpose im using them for?? (K1 visa interview?) just want to see if we don't need the whole copy. 

Tax transcripts are the same as tax returns but in a more summary fashion and direct from the IRS    supplying both is redundant 

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks everybody. I'm still uncertain if anybody has actually taken the transcripts to the K1 visa interview and wether or not they have been accepted like that? Would love to hear if thats the case for anybody. 

Also: what does the last 3 years mean? If my interview is before April of 2019, I would have to bring the tax return forms for 2017, 2016 and 2015 right?

K1 (2018)

AOS (2019) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mrijex said:

Thanks everybody. I'm still uncertain if anybody has actually taken the transcripts to the K1 visa interview and wether or not they have been accepted like that? Would love to hear if thats the case for anybody. 

Also: what does the last 3 years mean? If my interview is before April of 2019, I would have to bring the tax return forms for 2017, 2016 and 2015 right?

Many many many people have used transcripts in lieu of the 1040 et al.  If three years are being requested,  Three years means exactly what you describe 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.