Mrijex

K1 interview without tax returns

19 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mrijex said:

I'm still uncertain if anybody has actually taken the transcripts to the K1 visa interview and wether or not they have been accepted like that? Would love to hear if thats the case for anybody. 

They accept transcripts fine. I'm unsure why you still think they will treat them any lesser than the 1040 + all W-2s/1099s/etc.

I don't know how often people use the transcripts vs a copy of the return, but 1) many people use a transcript, and 2) I would certainly argue that we see far fewer people with issues related to missing I-134/I-864 documents when they provide a transcript.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 12/5/2018 at 1:33 PM, Mrijex said:

Thanks everybody. I'm still uncertain if anybody has actually taken the transcripts to the K1 visa interview and wether or not they have been accepted like that? Would love to hear if thats the case for anybody. 

Also: what does the last 3 years mean? If my interview is before April of 2019, I would have to bring the tax return forms for 2017, 2016 and 2015 right?

You can use the transcripts, like someone else said they're the same as tax returns but more summarized. I know a lot of people who used their transcripts for AOS (where they are definitely more important), and they got accepted. At my interview they didn't even ask for them, just the I-134 (I know it's on the list tho)

Don't worry too much about it, just take everything you need. If you would miss something, you get a letter of what they need. Once that's provided and there's no ground to deny you, they'll send your visa asap.

• 9 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 4:40 PM, Mrijex said:

Hi guys, 

I'm not that experienced in posting here but have been a lurker for a while and wanted to see if the knowledge of this community could help me figure something out. I'm the beneficiary (Dutch nationality and will also try to post this in a country specific thread if it exists), and am planning for my K1 visa interview. We received Noa2 beginning of October and I received the 'K1 pre appointment package' end of October. We've been trying to get our papers together this past month and have run into something. So we have prepared the i134 including a statement from his boss and a statement from the bank but now the checklist said 'including latest tax returns' - we've never read this before and are panicking a little. Our situation is the following:

USC lived in the Netherlands with me from August 2016 to September 2017. Then was supported by his mother until January 2018 when he found his current job. Didn't do tax returns for 2018 bc didn't make enough by April and didn't do tax returns in 2017 because he wasn't in the USA. Latest tax returns are thus from 2016 and possibly misplaced. 

My questions:

-what if I go to the interview with no tax returns? Just the i134 with letter from boss and bank

- I see we can request tax return transcripts from the IRS, what if we do this for the latest tax return and I bring that (so only 2016)?

- I know he can still file for 2018 and 2017 even though he didn't make hardly anything.. Would that help? 

I'm a little confused why they need the tax returns and don't know what to do. Open to everybody's help... 

Good morning, I'm in the same situation like you, how did you overcome your situation. I will like if you will share the information with me. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 10/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, Uzonny said:

Good morning, I'm in the same situation like you, how did you overcome your situation. I will like if you will share the information with me. Thanks

we went to this website: irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript to request his tax returns. Then we wrote a letter of why he did not have to do his taxes the year he was under the income requirement. it was fine.

K1 (2018)

Feb 28: petition sent

March 12: NOA1

October 10: NOA2

Feb 5 2019: Interview (approved!)

Feb 12: Passport received, visa in hand

March 12: enter US, POE; Boston

March 21st (1st day of spring🌻😞 married!

AOS (2019) 

April 12: Sent in AOS, EAD and AP

April 15: Delivered at USCIS

May 15: Opened service req for NOA1

May 20: NOA1

May 30: Opened service req for biometrics appointment scheduling

June 6: Requested expedite processing on EAD (via phone)

June 12: Asked to fax evidence for expedite, sent in job offer (non-profit) and cover letter

June 17: Received RFIE (birth certificate) - notified that EAD expedite was on hold

June 20: Evidence received by USCIS after overnighting

June 21: Asked for expedite request to be re-activated (via phone)

June 26: Expedite could not be completed because of missing biometrics (E-mail)

June 26: Biometrics appointment got scheduled (for July 9)

July 3: Walk- in biometrics

July 8: Asked for expedite request to be re-activated (via phone)

July 13: Expedite request for EAD was approved (E-mail)

July 17: Hard copy of Notice of Approval for both EAD and AP in snail mail- online status changed to card was mailed to me 

July 20: EAD/ AP combo card in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.