Cstorm

Removing Conditions of 2 Year Conditional Green Card (Pending) through marriage to a U.S. Citizen. When can I apply for Naturalization? When can I file for my mother back home?

7 posts in this topic

I am married to my US spouse since February 2016. I recently filed I-795 to remove conditions of my 2 year conditional green card which expires November 29, 2018. I've already received an 18 months extension from immigration while they work on my case, and I have an upcoming biometrics appointment.

I read that I can apply for Naturalization in my 3rd year as a green card holder before even receiving my 10 year green card. How true is this?

And after naturalization, I want to file for my mother, how long will that take? I also have a younger brother, but I heard I cannot file for a sibling. 

I'm very down because I miss my family so much.

Please review the guides here. All the information you seek are there.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/guides/

Here is is an overview of what you can do..

• You can’t file for naturalization until next year. 90 days before Nov 29, 2019. 
  • You can’t file for your mother until after you are done with Naturalization., which takes about a year. So you are looking at 2020.
  • The process to bring you mother takes 1.5 to 2 years. So your mother will be able to immigrate here around 2022 or so.
  • You can file for your brother when you are a citizen, but it takes 15 years. 
  • Your brother will not be ble to come at the same time as your mother.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

15 years is probably optimistic.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

48 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Please review the guides here. All the information you seek are there.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/guides/

Here is is an overview of what you can do..

• You can’t file for naturalization until next year. 90 days before Nov 29, 2019. 
  • You can’t file for your mother until after you are done with Naturalization., which takes about a year. So you are looking at 2020.
  • The process to bring you mother takes 1.5 to 2 years. So your mother will be able to immigrate here around 2022 or so.
  • You can file for your brother when you are a citizen, but it takes 15 years. 
  • Your brother will not be ble to come at the same time as your mother.

Thanks for your answer. Very informative. 

Curious... could my mother file for my brother? He will be over 21 by then.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cstorm said:

Thanks for your answer. Very informative. 

As a LPR she can as long as he is not married.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cstorm said:

I also have a younger brother, but I heard I cannot file for a sibling.

When you become a citizen you can. It is the F4 preference category (the slowest). Here is the visa bulletin, as an example: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html

10 minutes ago, Cstorm said:

could my mother file for my brother? He will be over 21 by then.

Right after your mother enters the US with the IR-5 visa she can file. If he is already 21 by then, then it is the F2B preference category if he remains unmarried until he enters the US with the F2B.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

2 hours ago, Cstorm said:

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

As a LPR she can as long as he is not married.

1 hour ago, TM92 said:

Right after your mother enters the US with the IR-5 visa she can file. If he is already 21 by then, then it is the F2B preference category if he remains unmarried until he enters the US with the F2B.

Also to add, your mother filing for your brother will take 7-10 years. So circa 2030-ish.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.