J&Evisa

Wondering if I should apply now or wait

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

File as soon as 

1. You and your fiancé(e) are truly comfortable with doing so (this is by far the most important, not for your chances of approval, but for a successful marriage)
  2. You've fulfilled all the legal requirements
  3. You've done anything beyond the minimum legal requirements that is strongly recommended by others going through the same consulate you and your fiancé will be

In our case, we were sure we wanted to be with each other after our first in-person meeting (though this was a week together). We still didn't get engaged until our second meeting (four months later) and didn't file until after our third another three months later (when I met her family). And there don't appear to be any special things we need to do for Moscow.

Edited by DaveAndAnastasia
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, thatguyuknow said:

The fact that you're asking if it's too soon answers your question. Go for Christmas and have a good time. Would I get married to someone after 5 weeks facetime? No, I aint cray cray. People that use the K-1 to 'get to know' the spouse is ridiculous.

Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm if it's a red flag.

Get your judgmental comments out of here. I got married to my husband very quickly. I love him with everything, this is a very daunting journey and harsh words are NOT appreciated. 

A quick marriage can cause some red flags but they're easily overcome with quality evidence.

I had a short relationship so I dont particularly ever listen to the people who say youre crazy.  Will there be an adjustment living together? Or course! There always is regardless!

Hubs and I:

Met online in Aug 2011,

Started "dating" Nov 2011,

Met in person Dec 2011,

Engaged Jan 2012

Lived together in Canada Feb-Mar 2012, Married May 2012,

Started immigration to the USA in Oct 2012, (we debated both directions but a great job for hubs decided the direction)

I moved June 2013.

Between marriage and my eventual immigration we visited 3 times for no longer than 10 days each time because of my work.

Yes we're still married.  Yes we've had issues.  No less or more than I think most married couples have.  

So use your head but follow your heart.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Please, however, keep in mind that it's against the TOS to tell someone not to post.  Please take some time to read the TOS. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
19 hours ago, wxman22 said:

You were asking for a judgement and then complain about a judgmental post.

Please tell us the answer you would like to hear so we can cut to the chase.

hmmm agree. 

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
11 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

File as soon as 

1. You and your fiancé(e) are truly comfortable with doing so (this is by far the most important, not for your chances of approval, but for a successful marriage)
  2. You've fulfilled all the legal requirements
  3. You've done anything beyond the minimum legal requirements that is strongly recommended by others going through the same consulate you and your fiancé will be

In our case, we were sure we wanted to be with each other after our first in-person meeting (though this was a week together). We still didn't get engaged until our second meeting (four months later) and didn't file until after our third another three months later (when I met her family). And there don't appear to be any special things we need to do for Moscow.

My timeline is pretty comparable to yours.  We met organically in person (meeting 1, not planned we just met).  Second meeting, we really connected and spent time with his friends and family.  Third meeting we got engaged.  Our love timeline has been almost 5 months from meet to engagement with CONSTANT texts/calls/video, facetime, etc.  And another trip planned for New Years (will be part of our continuing relationship package).

What i have found is that by being apart and removing the physical intimacy, your other "senses" are intensified (communication for example).  Speaking for us only, we find that we are growing closer faster than if he was more local due to cultivating the non physical components (but we do make up for that in visits hahah).  So, is it a red flag? Im a newbie and dont have the experience to tell you that.  However, if you are true and in love, I do think that the timeline of the K1 does give you both the opportunity to continue growing and loving (or not) as the process plays out.  No different than if you both local.  Many people (in my opinion) go through with weddings locally because deposits down, or family and friend pressure, etc vs calling off when they discover not right...or divorce shortly later for same reasons.  There is no guarantee in this, and i dont think meeting someone locally or abroad increases/decreases your success rate.

good luck and i wish nothing but happiness in your journey

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

and i never answered your question directly.  YES, apply if you meet the criteria.  As said above, it will be a long tail and you have time to continue to cultivate the relationship (assuming you are in love) and schedule more face time to reinforce the relationship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.