icanbenobody

credit card company/spam

11 posts in this topic

so here is my biggest wonder lol 2 weeks ago i received a mail from a credit card company i was so curious about how did they know my name and my address and sending me a mail offering me a credit card? and also there was weird person who called me and talk about student loan haha..so my question is..is anyone here in vj had encountered this "spam call/mail"? or is it just normal here to spread my personal info to others? 😅 me and my husband think about where we went to filled out a form with my name and we never give my info to anyone other than my daughter school and k1 visa journey..just weird to me 😂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the "Moving to the US" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Welcome to America. :P

Many times they get the info when you take out a loan, open a bank account, etc. They also consolidate records across all kinds of services.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Credit Card companies for the most part are all scams and legal thieves in the USA.

Anything you can do to take their money is good.  They rip off the consumer and they rip off the merchants legally.

They have a perfect business in the USA.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

just remember everyone sells your personal information (Name/Address/Phone Number), if you are not aware of who is calling you for what reason, politely decline whatever they are offering and investigate on your own. My wife also gets these calls on her cell and random emails, as you determine the calls, block the number and learn to trust no emails where you have not initiated contacts

thanks everyone..my husband take care of it he block all the spam calls and also get me a different number..im just one those kind of person who dont like unknown people bothering me. 😂😂

once i also received a call from unknown guy he was mad and yelling at me on the phone asking me why i called his number which i never did lol..this mobile technology annoyed me sometime😅

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have received those calls too from someone claiming I called him. There are scammers out there that are spoofing cell phone numbers then call other cell phones. It's a hassle and even blocking won't do much good, they just make a new one.

20 hours ago, gaski said:

thanks everyone..my husband take care of it he block all the spam calls and also get me a different number..im just one those kind of person who dont like unknown people bothering me. 

once i also received a call from unknown guy he was mad and yelling at me on the phone asking me why i called his number which i never did lol..this mobile technology annoyed me sometime😅

You are like my asawa, she does not pick up the phone unless she knows the number of the person calling her.

But seriously welcome to the USA if you are getting these phone calls. I know in Pinas you get text messages like this but here you will get actually phone calls from people saying that you owe them money from a loan 5+ years ago or you owe the IRS money. They will both say that you need to pay them ASAP or they will garnish your wages and/or take a warrant out for your arrest. I get sooooo pissed off at those people that I tell them to come and take out charges on me because I will be waiting for them. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Phone numbers are also recycled here, and easier to predict than in some countries as they only have to guess the last 4 digits! I get at least one call a day about student loans or medical grade supports for my ankles...

Edited by MLR14

29 minutes ago, MLR14 said:

Phone numbers are also recycled here, and easier to predict than in some countries as they only have to guess the last 4 digits! I get at least one call a day about student loans or medical grade supports for my ankles...

yea my husband explain that to me and he did something to block spam calls..its really annoying 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, gaski said:

yea my husband explain that to me and he did something to block spam calls..its really annoying 

Right! I actually had one wake me up super early today and I've been grumpy ever since, so this post came at a funny time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.