AnastasiaMironova

Driver License in New Jersey for a K1 visa holder - watch out

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

A watch out for K1 visa holders trying to get drivers license in NJ. Make sure your I94 is valid for at least 65 days after the day you apply for the driver examination permit. If your I94 expires in less than 65 days,  MVC / DMV will not accept your documents and you'll have to wait for EAD to apply for license again. This rule is stated neither on MVC website nor on the 6 point ID card (https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/ident_ver_posterpint.pdf). I found this out after spending 3 hours in the line. All other 6point ID documents i had on me (foreign passport with K1 visa, NOA that AOS application was received by USCIS, I94, social security card, address confirmation, lease agreement,  debit card, etc) were useless. Quite frustrating. 

Hope the above helps.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, AnastasiaMironova said:

Hi guys, 

A watch out for K1 visa holders trying to get drivers license in NJ. Make sure your I94 is valid for at least 65 days after the day you apply for the driver examination permit. If your I94 expires in less than 65 days,  MVC / DMV will not accept your documents and you'll have to wait for EAD to apply for license again. This rule is stated neither on MVC website nor on the 6 point ID card (https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/ident_ver_posterpint.pdf). I found this out after spending 3 hours in the line. All other 6point ID documents i had on me (foreign passport with K1 visa, NOA that AOS application was received by USCIS, I94, social security card, address confirmation, lease agreement,  debit card, etc) were useless. Quite frustrating. 

Hope the above helps.

Good luck!

I can recall our ordeal here in North Carolina. No one new the rules and had to call "downtown" to find out. Took more then two hours to get an answer. That was for the permit. Then we wanted the D. Test and there again no one new the rules about the paperwork and now they said that "downtown" won't know the answer. By that time I was pulling out my hair. Like @AnastasiaMironova states, start early and bring every document you can think of and don't forget the kitchen sink. :D

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

I can recall our ordeal here in North Carolina. No one new the rules and had to call "downtown" to find out. Took more then two hours to get an answer. That was for the permit. Then we wanted the D. Test and there again no one new the rules about the paperwork and now they said that "downtown" won't know the answer. By that time I was pulling out my hair. Like @AnastasiaMironova states, start early and bring every document you can think of and don't forget the kitchen sink. :D

I live in NC as well. Is there anything in particular you can think of that would help us when my fiance arrives? He has an international driver's license but if I read correctly, since he comes on a K1 it wouldn't be valid?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, pinkitmake said:

I live in NC as well. Is there anything in particular you can think of that would help us when my fiance arrives? He has an international driver's license but if I read correctly, since he comes on a K1 it wouldn't be valid?

Every state has their own rules, but in most states residents (as opposed to visitors) are only allowed to drive on foreign driver's licenses for a short time. This usually isn't great for K-1 beneficiaries, because typically you need EAD or a green card to have proof of permanent residency that the department of motor vehicles will accept (not always the case; I know California, not NC), so even if you already know how to drive, you can't legally for a while.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

4 hours ago, pinkitmake said:

I'm not well versed in how a Int'l license can transfer over to a US/State license.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 11/15/2018 at 1:20 PM, AnastasiaMironova said:

Hi guys, 

Hope the above helps.

Good luck!

Sorry about that. But in NJ you should have just applied after you got married. All you need is your passport with visa (4 points) and your marriage certificate (3 points)

• 5 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, Greenbaum said:

I'm not well versed in how a Int'l license can transfer over to a US/State license.

In Texas had international license waiting for him when he arrived.. Took online driving license test/class..and took driving test. He has Texas drivers license. So,a license from Jordan, u.a.e, international, and Texas. The international license allowed me to put him on my car insurance and drive immediately. Even passed getting stopped by local police. Lol. International license cost $30 u.s.,the one i got him. Just fyi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 11/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, Greenbaum said:

It can’t. It’s nothing official. It’s an International Driver’s Permit  It is an English translation of a non English language driver’s licence details . It’s for tourists not residents. I’m  surprised it carries any weight at all 

Edited by Lil bear

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.