SpectralSea

Filing I-751 without original green card

11 posts in this topic

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this

I'm trying to file my I-751 but for the life of me i cannot find my 2 year green card, we're beginning to worry it was lost in our last move.

We're now heavily under the gun on time and i need to know what I need to do in order to be able to properly apply. I feel like filing an I-90 to replace it is futile as I won't receive the card in time, is there any way I can file without the images of the green card with an explanation that the card was lost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am a ball of nerves.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
21 minutes ago, SpectralSea said:

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this

I'm trying to file my I-751 but for the life of me i cannot find my 2 year green card, we're beginning to worry it was lost in our last move.

We're now heavily under the gun on time and i need to know what I need to do in order to be able to properly apply. I feel like filing an I-90 to replace it is futile as I won't receive the card in time, is there any way I can file without the images of the green card with an explanation that the card was lost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am a ball of nerves.

This is directly from an immigration attorney: This was his response to a gentleman that lost his GC but was time to remove condtions.

"When it comes to the green card, lost green cards cause more stress than just about any other immigration problem. Immigrants in the United States are expected to carry their green card with them at all times. Failure to do so can, in fact, be a misdemeanor. Equally importantly, not having a valid US green card at all times can make it difficult to prove your status as a permanent resident of the United States. If your green card is lost, there are several steps that you will want to take in order to ensure that you get your green card to prove your status:

1) Get the latest version of USCIS Form I-90. This is the form that you will need in order to file a green card replacement. You can get this form by visiting the USCIS website and downloading the required form. You can even file the form online at the same website. On the form, you will need to provide your Social Security number, US address, country of birth, name, the reason you need a new card, and your signature. It is important to carefully read the instructions before starting to fill out the form.

2) Get copies of the supporting documents you will need to file USCIS Form I-90. You may need your driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate in order to fill out the form. These can help prove your identity.

3) Submit the filing fee with your application. You can do this by money order or check. Before submitting payment, check the USCIS website to ensure that you have the correct current filing fee.

4) Check your USCIS Form I-90 carefully before filing it. Any mistakes on your application can delay your green card.

5) File your USCIS Form I-90. You can do this by mailing it through the US mail or by filing your form electronically. If you file USCIS Form I-90 electronically, you will still need to mail in your payment and supporting documents through the mail.

6) Wait for a letter about your biometrics appointment. Arrive early at your biometrics appointment on the date that it is scheduled. At this appointment, your photograph and fingerprints will be taken for your new green card.

7) Get temporary proof of your green card status if you need it. You can do this by making an appointment at the local immigration field office in your area. This office can give you an I-551 stamp in your passport to prove that you are a permanent resident of the US. This stamp can be used in place of your green card until your new card arrives.

8 ) Wait for your new green card to arrive in the mail. It can take up to six months to get your new green card. If you believe that there has been an undue delay, you can contact the USCIS by calling 1-800-375-5283. You can also check the status of your application online at the USCIS website."

Good luck!

Edited by bad4tatt
added text

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
14 minutes ago, SpectralSea said:

So my only option is to apply for a new one? If the wait time is 3-6 months I'll not get it in time.

Look at #7:

43 minutes ago, bad4tatt said:

7) Get temporary proof of your green card status if you need it. You can do this by making an appointment at the local immigration field office in your area. This office can give you an I-551 stamp in your passport to prove that you are a permanent resident of the US. This stamp can be used in place of your green card until your new card arrives.

Form_I551_stamp.jpeg

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, SpectralSea said:

So my only option is to apply for a new one? If the wait time is 3-6 months I'll not get it in time.

is there any other option?

It's an expensive lesson but you need to apply for a new one and then follow it up with an i551 stamp in your passport as a temporary proof of residency, then submit a photocopy of the passport page with the stamp in lieu of the green card. You'll probably want an explanatory cover letter on your ROC application to explain the lost green card.

By the way, take a picture of or scan every document you ever receive from USCIS. Also, make a backup copy of all documents and applications that you send to USCIS.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's the first paragraph of the I-90 instructions:

"This application is used by lawful permanent residents and permanent residents in commuter status to apply for replacement or renewal of existing Permanent Resident Cards. Conditional permanent residents may also use this application to apply for replacement of an existing Permanent Resident Card. Conditional permanent residents may not use this application to replace, for any reason, an existing Permanent Resident Card that is expired or will expire within 90 days."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Mollie09 said:

You can't apply for an I-90 within the 90-day window for the I-751 application, so just apply without it.

Hmm, I learn something everyday on this forum. Thanks for hunting this down. 🙂

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
19 hours ago, SpectralSea said:

Thank you for all the help guys, I appreciate the replies.

This certainly has been an educational period.

I just spoke to someone with USCIS and got the information I need, and a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Onwards and upwards.

I have a scanned copy uploaded to cloud. Do you not have any such soft copy? You must keep the important docs somewhere safe and secure as soft copies. It has helped me a lot. Not only my GC, I have educational, professional all sorts of important documents as soft copy in cloud. Helps in these situations. I was asked for my passport once at a hotel when i did not have it handy, the soft copy helped me.

Removal of Conditions

CIS Office :California Service Center

Receipt #: WAC18096XXXXX

Date Filed :2018-01-02

NOA Date :2018-01-04

18 month courtesy copy: 2018-08-18

18 month official copy: 2018-10-22

Approval: 2019-02-01

GC received : 2019-02-08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
22 hours ago, SpectralSea said:

Thank you for all the help guys, I appreciate the replies.

This certainly has been an educational period.

I just spoke to someone with USCIS and got the information I need, and a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Onwards and upwards.

Sounds like they got an answer, but are not going to share.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.