Leeahh

Which waiver is needed? 212 / 601

29 posts in this topic

If you are inadmissible under a certain section.. is there a way to know for certain which waivers will be needed to application for readmission?

I have had multiple people give different answers.. Is there any way to know specifically from the government, prior to applying for any waiver ( visa application )

I find this information is very hard to find online, its not black and white. There are so many gray areas that it is very challenging to figure it out. 

I do not need the "ask a lawyer".. because I have done so and each one has a different say for which waiver will be needed.

If its said, "you will need a 212.. but you MAY need a 601 also"... why is there no definite answer?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In my time here on VJ (4 years) I have not seen definite answers given on which waivers are required. The advice that I have seen given here by the experts all state that you have to file the application, then the USCIS (i think usually Vermont Service Center) examines your case, and then they reject it and tell you which waivers you need to file to move forward. I think only after case examination will the government give you any certainty on an answer. Different lawyers notoriously give you different answers no matter what type of law they're advising you on.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

59 minutes ago, Leeahh said:

If its said, "you will need a 212.. but you MAY need a 601 also"... why is there no definite answer?

Because the specific circumstances matter. Without knowing all the circumstances, one can only make a guess as to what will be needed. Sometimes it's also a judgement call by the CO or IO if one is inadmissible under a certain section.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I 212's and I 601's wave different inadmissibilities so depends which ones he has, which is ultimately decided by the CO.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Because the specific circumstances matter. Without knowing all the circumstances, one can only make a guess as to what will be needed. Sometimes it's also a judgement call by the CO or IO if one is inadmissible under a certain section.

That's what I was wondering.. Is it truly up to the officer at the consulate during the interview making the decision as to which waiver you can apply for?

Obviously every case is different which just makes it hard to use some resources to help with you own case because no two cases are alike. 

Mine is not complex, there is no criminal or bad moral. I just wanted to prepare myself for the end stage of my visa application.. but not knowing prior to being denied makes it very hard.

I wish there was some way to legitimately find out from a government resource.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

And the experts have arrived.

EDIT: By the way, it must be Waiver Friday as we just had 3 new waiver posts in a row.

Edited by Russ&Caro

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

5 minutes ago, Leeahh said:

That's what I was wondering.. Is it truly up to the officer at the consulate during the interview making the decision as to which waiver you can apply for? 

Obviously every case is different which just makes it hard to use some resources to help with you own case because no two cases are alike. 

Mine is not complex, there is no criminal or bad moral. I just wanted to prepare myself for the end stage of my visa application.. but not knowing prior to being denied makes it very hard.

Which waiver(s) is needed is dictated by the inadmissibility(ies). But the CO determines which inadmissibilities apply.

For instance, an overstay is pretty black and white for the CO to determine.

A material misrepresentation is much more dictated by their judgement if it meets all the criteria for material misrepresentation (i.e. was it willful? Was it material to the benefit being sought?).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Leeahh said:

Each case is specific, until the case has been reviewed then there is no way of knowing for certain. However it is extremely unusual for the waivers needed not to be pretty obvious.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Leeahh said:

If you are inadmissible under a certain section.. is there a way to know for certain which waivers will be needed to application for readmission?

I have had multiple people give different answers.. Is there any way to know specifically from the government, prior to applying for any waiver ( visa application )

I find this information is very hard to find online, its not black and white. There are so many gray areas that it is very challenging to figure it out. 

I do not need the "ask a lawyer".. because I have done so and each one has a different say for which waiver will be needed.

You may need both 601 and 212 or 601a depending what is his inadmisability. If criminal first get it expunged, dismissed. Immigration will allow only certain expungement and certain dismissal. You can email me

8 minutes ago, Ardilla818 said:

You may need both 601 and 212 or 601a depending what is his inadmisability. If criminal first get it expunged, dismissed. Immigration will allow only certain expungement and certain dismissal. You can email me

there is no criminal charges, never have had any either.

601a is only from inside the US?

I am outside the US.. So that is why I'm trying to see if I would need both..

I'm confused why everyone keeps saying "he"... ahaha who is he?😅

I am talking about myself. ..it was a 212 a 7 a I I ….with a 5 year ban..

The case was not handled the way I think it should have been considering factors at the time of it happening.

But it is up to the discretion of the CBP officer.

Timeline

We are not mind readers and when there are major gaps there is a tendency to fill in with the norm.

So you were deported?

Why?

15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

We are not mind readers and when there are major gaps there is a tendency to fill in with the norm.

So you were deported?

Why?

that's fine.. I didn't expect anyone to be, just thought it was funny that everything was referred to as "he"

yes I was. I was down visiting (from a visa exempt country and had valid passport, etc. ) and was offered a job. I went to CBP to apply for work in the US, but from exiting, then re entering to apply at the POE, they denied it and put me into holding.. saying I was attempting to immigrate, so they deported me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.