Annlee21

help! what are the first steps for k1 after entering usa

24 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Annlee21 said:

hey guys, 

i just to got to states a week ago. im lost on  how to get driver licenses. can i only get it after i get married?

what are the first things i can do?

thank you

The first step is getting you SSN and Social Security card. Some states require SSN and SS card before you can get a marriage license (some are ok with a passport). Also (at least in my state of Florida) you need a SSN in order to get a driver's license. Keep in mind... what my husband and I found out the hard way (in our state) if you go and get your driver's license during your 90 days the driver's license is only valid until your i-94/k-1 expires. Between the time of your k-1 expiry while you wait for you AOS you won't have a valid driver's license. You have to wait for your EAD to get a driver's license (which will give you a 1 year license) and/or when you get your conditional green card (which will give you a 2 year driver's license). Just be wary of this. What state are you guys in? Try and check out your local DMV website to see the driver's license requirements.

Try to get married and file AOS, EAD, and AP as soon as possible. The current wait times for greencard vary and it could be a year+ and the wait time for EADs and APs is about 5 months. So you want to get them in ASAP. 

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
8 hours ago, Annlee21 said:

for the social it says

You should also bring the document RM 10211.530 that you printed out. what is this?

This is a table from social security administration outlining the different visa categories eligible to obtain a social security card.  They say to print it and take it with you because some employees aren't familiar with the K1 and sometimes turn people away when they try to obtain their card

8 hours ago, Jaquelly said:

You're giving misleading information. 

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

What you need is here.

You cannot get your license until you get your NOA1 from your EAD. Also, they will likely require you to go in, have them check for your status, and then wait for a letter from DHS that states that you're here lawfully and legally.

Not necessarily true about DL. It depends on the state. We were able to get temporary license with social security card, passport with visa and I-94 in Georgia. 

20 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Not necessarily true about DL. It depends on the state. We were able to get temporary license with social security card, passport with visa and I-94 in Georgia. 

Lucky ducks :) They made hubby wait to get two letters from DHS. Maybe he waited to long after we got married for the I-94 to be valid to get a license. 

2 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Lucky ducks :) They made hubby wait to get two letters from DHS. Maybe he waited to long after we got married for the I-94 to be valid to get a license. 

That’s a possibility. Chris is on his 4th license since May 2017. First was good for 90 days. Then, while waiting for EAD, which took 144 days, we were able to get a one time 120 day extension. Then another temporary license after EAD was received, good for 1 year, and finally just last week his “real” 2 year license after getting his GC!  Whew!!  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Migaloo said:

Has anyone ever gotten married a week after entering the USA?

Laws can vary. An option is a quick same day Vegas wedding; you can even marry in a Drive-Thru setting in Vegas: https://www.viator.com/tours/Las-Vegas/World-Famous-Drive-up-Wedding-in-Las-Vegas/d684-2596DRIVEUP

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Migaloo said:

Does anyone know how long it takes to get married after entering USA? My fiance might enter mid December, but it might be best to get married before the end of 2018 for tax purposes.  Has anyone ever gotten married a week after entering the USA?

Check the rules for marriage licenses and civil weddings in your state (and possibly neighboring ones, depending on where you live, or as suggested above, you can always go to Vegas). But I don't know of any state where you need more than three days between applying for a marriage license and getting married. Though in late December you probably will need to check to make sure the county clerk's office (or whoever is responsible for marriage licenses and/or civil weddings in your state) is open given holidays.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
1 hour ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Though in late December you probably will need to check to make sure the county clerk's office (or whoever is responsible for marriage licenses and/or civil weddings in your state) is open given holidays.

Great point; thus Vegas is optimal in late December, https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/clerk/Pages/locations-and-hours.aspx:

Marriage License Bureau

201 E. Clark Avenue

Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 671-0600 • (702) 385-8911 Fax

7 days per week, 8am-midnight

(open all holidays)

Marriage License Issuance

Fictitious Firm Name and Notary Bond Filing

Marriage Certificate Self-Service Kiosks

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.