Cielle.Cielle

Possibly a stupid question, but do our civics answers have to match the official answers exactly?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, hoping to hear from people who have completed the N400 interview. My husband and I are studying for my test next week and we're having a debate as to whether I need to be answering EXACTLY as written on the flash cards - I mean, this is a government department after all!

For example, with the question:

There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
▪ Citizens eighteen (18) and older (can vote).
▪ You don’t have to pay (a poll tax) to vote.
▪ Any citizen can vote. (Women and men can vote.)
▪ A male citizen of any race (can vote).

If I answer "that any citizen, male or female, or any race can vote" would this be marked as "wrong"? Because I am not repeating their approved answers exactly?

Or:

What was one important thing that Abraham Lincoln did? 

▪ freed the slaves (Emancipation Proclamation)
▪ saved (or preserved) the Union
▪ led the United States during the Civil War

I answered "issued the Emancipation Proclamation to change the legal status of some slaves" which again is correct but not exactly as they have written on the list of questions. 

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but this has been such a journey I would hate to mess up at the last step on a mere technicality!

Filed: Timeline

Answer exactly and precisely. Why?

>If I answer "that any citizen, male or female, or any race can vote" would this be marked as "wrong"? 

Wrong answer... A 12-year old can be a citizen, but can't vote

>I answered "issued the Emancipation Proclamation to change the legal status of some slaves" 

Wrong answer...all slaves were freed, not some slaves

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I think it's best to remember the exact answer if possible as just changing one word could potentially change the meaning even if it's not intended. 

29 minutes ago, databit said:

Wrong answer...all slaves were freed, not some slaves

Actually, the OP is right, the Emancipation Proclamation did not free all slaves. It only promised freedom to those in the 10 states still in rebellion during the Civil War in 1863. It wasn't until the 13th Amendment in 1865 that all slaves were freed. 

Edited by tsabbas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i took the naturalization test few years back, and i would suggest to answer exactly as it is written in the manual. I had a Korean born IO, unfortunately, but she spoke very bad English. I had problems understanding her questions and she was like a hawk on the answer. Tried to correct my grammar!! Being myself not a native English speaker and with my improper grammar with some college education.....you don't want to make up answers and try to fail. Of course this is my opinion and not all IO where/are that strict. My 2 cents. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

First of all, relax. You’ve got this 😉

As long as you’ve read all the 100 questions, you can do it. I did my N-400 interview just a few months ago and it was so much easier than I thought.

You don’t have to answer it exactly as it was written in the sample test, but as long as the concept is there, you will be fine.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 10/20/2018 at 12:32 AM, ivyyy said:

First of all, relax. You’ve got this 😉

As long as you’ve read all the 100 questions, you can do it. I did my N-400 interview just a few months ago and it was so much easier than I thought.

You don’t have to answer it exactly as it was written in the sample test, but as long as the concept is there, you will be fine.

What are these 100 questions you speak of?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.