proudtobabritgirl

We got married in secret. Possible issue at interview

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys 

I have my interview for cr1 visa In London at the end of the month. 

I just read about a couple who got married in secret and it was a huge red flag. 

Obviously, if they ask me at the interview potential questions like, how does your family feel about the marriage? Who attended the wedding? Etc 

Im obviously going to be straight up front an honest no matter what they ask me, but could it be a problem? We had been backpacking for six months and ended up in New York and it was literally like, let's end this trip on a high and get married now seeing as we were going to get married someday anyways. 

I don't want them to hold it against us that we didn't invite or tell anyone. The reasons being that my family don't agree with the relationship and my husband's family are incredibly supportive and would be devastated if they found out what we had done. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Though being married in secret is a big red flag, it can still be overcome with strong bona fide evidence to demonstrate you’re not just in it to circumvent U.S. immigration law to procure a green card. You will have to be honest with your reasons why it’s so and bring strong evidence at your interview. This isn’t new though, gay couples go through all the time and still make it. 

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Starkilla09 said:

This isn’t new though, gay couples go through all the time and still make it. 

Can you elaborate on this point you made? I’m borderline offended after recently being approved at London Embassy...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, proudtobabritgirl said:

Hey guys 

I just read about a couple who got married in secret and it was a huge red flag. 

Obviously, if they ask me at the interview potential questions like, how does your family feel about the marriage? Who attended the wedding? Etc 

Im obviously going to be straight up front an honest no matter what they ask me, but could it be a problem? We had been backpacking for six months and ended up in New York and it was literally like, let's end this trip on a high and get married now seeing as we were going to get married someday anyways. 

I don't want them to hold it against us that we didn't invite or tell anyone. The reasons being that my family don't agree with the relationship and my husband's family are incredibly supportive and would be devastated if they found out what we had done. 

Not an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
1 hour ago, jakejon said:

Can you elaborate on this point you made? I’m borderline offended after recently being approved at London Embassy...

As a gay person there will be times when you will genuinely have to be offended by other people’s statements or opinions, but that doesn’t give you a carte blanche to be so easily offended without first trying to reason. In many parts of the world the idea of being gay or entertaining gay marriage is still a taboo. Thus many have to do things in secrecy such as dating, marriage and even seeking immigration benefits. Hence the reason why I implied gay people go through this and still make it. To reiterate the idea of having a marriage in secret though could be a potential red flag, it isn’t a deal breaker provided other conditions are met to qualify for the visa.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, proudtobabritgirl said:

Hey guys 

I think they would have to be suspicious of a lot more than who attended your wedding. And London is not a suspicious consulate.  "We eloped after backpacking for six months and ending up in New York. It was a bang up way to end our trip." Done. Legal.

They for sure are not going to ring your parents up and quiz them. 

On 10/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, proudtobabritgirl said:

Hey guys 

My good lady and I did exactly the same, we'd both been married before, didn't want all the drama of who/who not to invite!!

It didn't even come up at all. We married legally end of!!

As Wuozopo says, UK/London is a low fraud country, you have to remember a lot of countries marry without meeting their partners and obviously some people marry only for a GC.

I was asked 3 questions at my CR-1 interview, where did we meet, what was my wife's job and title, and where will we be living.

I'm totally convinced I was approved before I even arrived a the window for my interview!

I had been cr$pping myself before the interview, and it was soooooooooooooo easy!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.