northwest-boys

Updating DS-160 (K1 visa, London Embassy)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi! Does anyone know what situations you need to update the DS-160 for (as in, create a whole new one to submit).

We've some minor changes since i last submitted the DS-160 but I don't want to resubmit the whole form again unless it really is necessary.

Everything on the form was 100% correct at the time of submission, but my interview is on the 10th Oct and my last day at work is 3rd Oct, so technically my current employment will have changed (I did write in the Job Duties section that I was finishing on 3rd to get ready for moving)

The other potential update is that my fiancee changed his name legally in the US to make my name change process easier (we are taking on a new married name rather than hyphenate or take each other's names). He has sent me an official version of the name change document for me to take with me to the interview but is this grounds for updating the DS-160?

I think my main concern is, if I update my job on a DS-160 form I'll have to update my fiances name too.

Does anyone have any experience with this or similar issues? Any help would be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
18 minutes ago, northwest-boys said:

Hi! Does anyone know what situations you need to update the DS-160 for (as in, create a whole new one to submit).

We've some minor changes since i last submitted the DS-160 but I don't want to resubmit the whole form again unless it really is necessary.

Everything on the form was 100% correct at the time of submission, but my interview is on the 10th Oct and my last day at work is 3rd Oct, so technically my current employment will have changed (I did write in the Job Duties section that I was finishing on 3rd to get ready for moving)

The other potential update is that my fiancee changed his name legally in the US to make my name change process easier (we are taking on a new married name rather than hyphenate or take each other's names). He has sent me an official version of the name change document for me to take with me to the interview but is this grounds for updating the DS-160?

I think my main concern is, if I update my job on a DS-160 form I'll have to update my fiances name too.

Does anyone have any experience with this or similar issues? Any help would be appreciated.

We had the same issue where we had to redo our ds160.  Unfortunately we could not make changes so we had to completely do a new ds160.  I am not sure if what we did was right though.  

Thank you so much, everyone!

DD5B56DF-4C70-4A4F-A074-C72EA2413B5E.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, northwest-boys said:

I don't think your employment is a reason for a do-over. Your employment or lack of, has nothing to do with a K1.

• 7 months later...
Timeline
2 hours ago, brandonflude1 said:

@Wuozopo, what about a wrong ZIP code? I typed xxx09 instead of xxx08 :(

US address? I don't think that affects your visa in any way like forgetting to say you lived in Iraq for a while. The embassy doesn't mail anything to you. Correct it at the interview.

Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

US address? I don't think that affects your visa in any way like forgetting to say you lived in Iraq for a while. The embassy doesn't mail anything to you. Correct it at the interview.

And forgetting to list my fiancee as my immediate relative - correct that at the interview also? Is it just a case of telling the CO who takes my documents from me that there's a mistake with the ZIP on the US Address I'll be living at?

I still find this super strange to say xD

Timeline
15 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

And forgetting to list my fiancee as my immediate relative - correct that at the interview also? Is it just a case of telling the CO who takes my documents from me that there's a mistake with the ZIP on the US Address I'll be living at?

I still find this super strange to say xD

Sorry, I don't even remember an immediate relative question where you would list your fiancé.

The person who takes your documents is just a clerical employee. The second window is the consulate officer who interviews you and enters things on the computer. I would tell him if it was me. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Sorry, I don't even remember an immediate relative question where you would list your fiancé.

The person who takes your documents is just a clerical employee. The second window is the consulate officer who interviews you and enters things on the computer. I would tell him if it was me. 

Yeah the question still seems odd to me, that’s why I selected no. Hopefully the consulate officer is understanding and in a good mood. What’s the worst case scenario here?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

Yeah the question still seems odd to me, that’s why I selected no. Hopefully the consulate officer is understanding and in a good mood. What’s the worst case scenario here?

Hmmm ... Worst case?  He'll laugh at you for worrying about it

Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

Hmmm ... Worst case?  He'll laugh at you for worrying about it

You’ve been very helpful! I have a letter typed up with the correct info to provide them too. 

Thank you for your time 

Timeline
Just now, brandonflude1 said:

You’ve been very helpful! I have a letter typed up with the correct info to provide them too. 

Thank you for your time 

You have to remember this form is for all non-immigrant  visa, so asks a lot of questions that aren't even particularly to a fiancé.  It's used for tourist visas, or people who have to go to a conference, or spend some time at the US office, or play a concert gig. It's one size fits all and is the first encounter with immigration for most. You on the other hand have a whole petition file, so they do already know you have a fiancé and all about her. A change to the security section is what is most important for a re-do. See security section here in the sample https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/DS-160_Example.pdf

if you did those accurately, then don't worry about a zip code or spelling your Mum's name wrong.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

You have to remember this form is for all non-immigrant  visa, so asks a lot of questions that aren't even particularly to a fiancé.  It's used for tourist visas, or people who have to go to a conference, or spend some time at the US office, or play a concert gig. It's one size fits all and is the first encounter with immigration for most. You on the other hand have a whole petition file, so they do already know you have a fiancé and all about her. A change to the security section is what is most important for a re-do. See security section here in the sample https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/DS-160_Example.pdf

if you did those accurately, then don't worry about a zip code or spelling your Mum's name wrong.

I’m pretty sure that’s all correct. Just the zip code really. I’ll mention it anyway, better to be honest but like you said I’ll probably just be laughed at!

Its an easy fix for the CO, just change a 9 for an 8 and tick a box.

It's been a while but when I had my interview when I went to the first window and handed over my paperwork the man asked if anything needed changing on the DS :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline
1 minute ago, trudi said:

It's been a while but when I had my interview when I went to the first window and handed over my paperwork the man asked if anything needed changing on the DS :)

Thank you so much this is what I needed to hear! 

Thank you so much!!!

On 10/1/2018 at 10:41 PM, Hello729 said:

We had the same issue where we had to redo our ds160.  Unfortunately we could not make changes so we had to completely do a new ds160.  I am not sure if what we did was right though.  

Just as an FYI for people who have to redo the whole DS160.  You don't have to start from scratch with a brand new one.  If you have already submitted a DS160 just go in to CEAC and click "retrieve application", enter the reference of the completed DS160 then your security questions and click the retrieve button, it will tell you the form has been submitted and ask if you'd like to view the confirmation page or start a new application.  If you start a new application from there it pre-populates it with all the answers from your initial form so you can just amend the bits you need and re-sumbit, rather than start all over.

Sorry if folks already knew this, I had to do the same the other day and was pretty happy when I didn't have to start from nothing.

Edited by tsusoup
a word

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.