Maleyah

How can my fiance get a tourist visa?

5 posts in this topic

I (21/F) am trying to get my Nepalese fiance (27/M) to come to visit my hometown for Christmas and New Years. I will be on a three-week break during this time and we thought it would be perfect. We have been dating for 5 years and we met each other in person almost 2 years ago. I have visited his home country 3 times. This is great, but now my family wants an opportunity to meet him, I also want to show him my hometown and I want him to spend the holidays with my family. Although we are engaged we cannot get married for another year because I have to finish my degree. We have been reluctant to apply for the visa in the past because he told me that many Nepalese people get denied and we are engaged. 
I know one of the requirements of the tourist visa is to show strong ties to his home country and to show that he has no intention of immigrating. His ties are: His engineering that he has had for 3 years, his mother is sickly and he pays for her medication and other health expenses, He helps with household funds such as the vehicle payments, utilities, and whatever else is needed. He does not intend to immigrate because: He has to return and help his family with the bills and be there for his mother, his boss will only give him a maximum of 14 days of vacation, He is helping his family pay off debts and is one of the working members of the family. I will have to start my final semester of classes, We cannot get married because I am in the process of completing my license requirements for my career. We are well aware of the process and the fact that us being engaged can hurt our chances, but we have not desire to get married at this time because it is not feasible.
He is not a rich guy but has money saved up. He will be supported by me during his stay and we plan to fill out the sponsor form. The two weeks are going to be pretty straightforward. He will meet my family, spend time with me, join us during our family celebrations and go sightseeing with us. My family is actively asking him to come and visit so should we write an invitation? Also, should we buy the plane tickets beforehand? What should we do to make this process go as smoothly as possible? Also how long will this process take? I know I am not applying for him, but I just wanted more information to see if he should even bother trying and what can be done to increase his chances. 

He applies and finds out....not much else to do. He will be granted the visa or not based on his own merits alone.

An invitation letter is not considered in whether they issue the visa or not, per the DOS.

An affidavit of support is not considered and does not apply to a tourist visa. Nobody can sponsor a US tourist visa.

Don't buy plane tickets or book hotels until the visa is in hand.

He can carry documentation of his ties to return in the vent the CO requests them. They usually do not, tough.

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He should apply for a B2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.