DavideT

Greencard "Resident Since" date is wrong, flight to go home in november.

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi!

I received my GC today and everythings good besides the fields "Resident Since" and "Card expires" Both are 1 year behind pretty much. Now, foolishly, I have a flight scheduled on november 7th, but when i sent an e-request on the USCIS site they told me to expect a reply by october 21 (!!!!)...

Now i dont know if i shot myself in the foot... like, will i have to return my greencard and just wait for the new one? Will i be able to still travel home and back?

Timeline
1 minute ago, little immigrant said:

So the resident since date doesn't match your POE entry date? Have you filed I-90 already? 

My resident date should be 09/20/2018, instead it says 2017.

No, I didnt file the I-90 yet! Honestly i was thinking of doing that after i come back from my trip (since ill be gone home for 2 months starting november)...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
42 minutes ago, DavideT said:

My resident date should be 09/20/2018, instead it says 2017.

No, I didnt file the I-90 yet! Honestly i was thinking of doing that after i come back from my trip (since ill be gone home for 2 months starting november)...

Wait, through which means did you obtain your green card (e.g. marriage, employment etc..)? People applying for AOS through certain means have their green cards date backdated.

I know that Asylees, for example, who do an AOS get their "resident since" date backdated 1 year. So if they received their green card on XX/XX/2020 for example, their green cards show XX/XX/2019 as the date their green cards was issued. So their actual waiting time is 4 years instead of the 5 their green cards show.

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

The "resident since" date would bed when the I-485 (AOS) was actually approved. There is no backdating for this.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, gnakr said:

Wait, through which means did you obtain your green card (e.g. marriage, employment etc..)? People applying for AOS through certain means have their green cards date backdated.

I know that Asylees, for example, who do an AOS get their "resident since" date backdated 1 year. So if they received their green card on XX/XX/2020 for example, their green cards show XX/XX/2019 as the date their green cards was issued. So their actual waiting time is 4 years instead of the 5 their green cards show.

AOS! I started my petition at the end of 2017, while i got married in early 2017

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The "resident since" date would bed when the I-485 (AOS) was actually approved. There is no backdating for this.

That's what i figured as well yeah.

Do you have any idea how long would it take to file an I-90, and get back the card? Because I'm really tempted to just hold on to this one until I come back from my trip (its been years since i visited and plane is already set for november 7 and all)... Like it's not something glaring like my name or anything

Edited by DavideT

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Assuming you're referring to the "resident since" date on the green card, which is presumably what OP is also referring to, this date is backdated in certain cases such as asylum. As some of their time as asylees is counted towards their LPR time. It isn't always necessarily the approval-date of the AOS. I know an asylee, and their approved GC's residence-since and other documents were back-dated 1 year upon approval as per the law.

If OP received his GC through marriage, then yeah it may be a mistake.

Edited by gnakr

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, gnakr said:

Assuming you're referring to the "resident since" date on the green card, which is presumably what OP is also referring to, this date is backdated in certain cases such as asylum. As some of their time as asylees is counted towards their LPR time. It isn't always necessarily the approval-date of the AOS. I know an asylee, and their approved GC's residence-since and other documents were back-dated 1 year upon approval as per the law.

If OP received his GC through marriage, then yeah it may be a mistake.

Yeah, AOS from F1 visa due to marriage

You can file I-90 online and wait for RFE to tell you to mail in the card or you can wait until you’re back from your trip to send in paper I-90 with wrong gc enclosed (make several color copies of front and back GC). 

If you haven’t already, update your ssn to remove the valid for work with DHS authorization only before you send in your current/wrong GC in. Will make it easier to just use SSA card and DL for proof of employment on I-9. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
6 hours ago, milimelo said:

You can file I-90 online and wait for RFE to tell you to mail in the card or you can wait until you’re back from your trip to send in paper I-90 with wrong gc enclosed (make several color copies of front and back GC). 

If you haven’t already, update your ssn to remove the valid for work with DHS authorization only before you send in your current/wrong GC in. Will make it easier to just use SSA card and DL for proof of employment on I-9. 

Alright. What I am going to do it's probably going to call them to tell them to cancel my e-request (I sent a support request via the Uscis.gov site about something wrong on my card -_- like an idiot.), that I will mail the I-90 with my card, and do it after i come back from my trip.

Think that should work out?

Timeline

Like... my main worry is that having submitted an e-request it will prompt me to "skip" the I-90. If all i get as a response from that is "Please file an I-90", then there would be no issues. But they gave me the estimated date of october 21 as a response to it 😕

The I90 is taking 7 +minths to process. We are dealing with the rich now on issues. File the I90 once you get receipt number get your senator involved they can help expedite the issuance of the replacement card.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Timeline
19 hours ago, G Walters said:

The I90 is taking 7 +minths to process. We are dealing with the rich now on issues. File the I90 once you get receipt number get your senator involved they can help expedite the issuance of the replacement card.

what???

Edited by Penguin_ie

Yeah I-90 is not fast either..I filed my I-90 on June 1st, tomorrow 4 months. 

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.