VictorR

Send i-693 with i-485 or take to interview?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have read everuthing I can regarding the i-693 and the adjustment of status (AOS) process but I still have a doubt unanswered. Here is my situation, I came to the USA with a K1 visa, got married during the 90 days and I'm now getting my package ready to apply for AOS. I got a medical examination in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, in May 2018, as was required for the K1 interview. At the end, they told me I could get several shots but that I could also get them when applying to become a resident (I think they noticed my exhaustion and conffusion).

The section "evidence to submit with" of form I-485 instructions, says:

"...submit the full Form I-693 or only certain parts because you already had a medical examination overseas"

"You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination."

(Same information is given in I-693 instructions, section "where to file" at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-693)

As I have everything else ready for my I-485 I want to know if it's ok to send everything for the AOS and take the i-693 with the vaccination part filed at the time of the interview? Has someone done it this way?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, VictorR said:

Hi everyone,

I have read everuthing I can regarding the i-693 and the adjustment of status (AOS) process but I still have a doubt unanswered. Here is my situation, I came to the USA with a K1 visa, got married during the 90 days and I'm now getting my package ready to apply for AOS. I got a medical examination in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, in May 2018, as was required for the K1 interview. At the end, they told me I could get several shots but that I could also get them when applying to become a resident (I think they noticed my exhaustion and conffusion).

The section "evidence to submit with" of form I-485 instructions, says:

"...submit the full Form I-693 or only certain parts because you already had a medical examination overseas"

"You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination."

(Same information is given in I-693 instructions, section "where to file" at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-693)

As I have everything else ready for my I-485 I want to know if it's ok to send everything for the AOS and take the i-693 with the vaccination part filed at the time of the interview? Has someone done it this way?

You submit full medical results, or the DS-3025 checked completed with the AOS petition I-485. You otherwise most likely will get an RFE for it or it will get rejected. If you still are in need of certain vaccinations also, you will need to complete them before the AOS interview and determination of approval or not. This has to be done/verified through a civil surgeon which can be quite costly. Some just to sign some papers will charge $500. If physical or shots are needed, start adding ontop of that.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

My interview letter for adjustment of status writes that I bring my I-693 and vaccination supplement, unless already submitted.

So, I doubt you will get an RFE for not sending an I-693 because if you read Form I-485 Instructions, Page 12, Point 10, Paragraph 3, it says:

"You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you
wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file
your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is
required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination."

That being said, if you entered on a K1 Visa, then Form I-693 Instructions, Page 7 of 12, Point 3, may apply to you. It says:

"If you were admitted as a:
A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or
B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and
C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:
(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year
of an overseas medical examination; and
(a) The panel physician did not find a class A medical condition during your overseas examination; or
(b) The panel physician did find a class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and
you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver.
(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the
vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included
as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the Part 9. Vaccination
Record completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you must submit Parts 1., 2., 3., 4., 6., and 9.
of Form I-693

So hi, I submitted my I-485 application with a letter stating why I am not submitting an I-693, that I was an approved K1-Visa applicant and that I have already undergone a medical exam in Singapore. I wrote in the mentioned letter that I am providing a DS 3025 that was given to me instead as well as photocopies of my vaccination certificates. Fast-forward to today, I have not received an RFE but I do have an interview date.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
On 9/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, AL-MJD said:

My interview letter for adjustment of status writes that I bring my I-693 and vaccination supplement, unless already submitted.

So, I doubt you will get an RFE for not sending an I-693 because if you read Form I-485 Instructions, Page 12, Point 10, Paragraph 3, it says:

"You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you
wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file
your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is
required. By waiting to submit Form I-693, you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination."

That being said, if you entered on a K1 Visa, then Form I-693 Instructions, Page 7 of 12, Point 3, may apply to you. It says:

"If you were admitted as a:
A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or
B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and
C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:
(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year
of an overseas medical examination; and
(a) The panel physician did not find a class A medical condition during your overseas examination; or
(b) The panel physician did find a class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and
you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver.
(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the
vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included
as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the Part 9. Vaccination
Record completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you must submit Parts 1., 2., 3., 4., 6., and 9.
of Form I-693

So hi, I submitted my I-485 application with a letter stating why I am not submitting an I-693, that I was an approved K1-Visa applicant and that I have already undergone a medical exam in Singapore. I wrote in the mentioned letter that I am providing a DS 3025 that was given to me instead as well as photocopies of my vaccination certificates. Fast-forward to today, I have not received an RFE but I do have an interview date.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Hi,

Not sure of your interview date but any update on the I-693 situation?

Timeline
9 hours ago, BrassMoonGoldStar said:

Hi,

My green card came in the mail today. Medical never once came up during my interview, and my online status changed positively that night.

I'm not sure what to say? I didn't do an additional medical exam here. I sent in my DS-3025 and vaccination certificate photocopies with my application and as you know, a letter that explained why I am not submitting an I-693 and the date of my overseas medical... And medical issues were not remotely mentioned during my interview.

I actually brought along a print-out of the I-693 instructions page that I mentioned, and highlighted that portion in case the interviewing officer asked me if I've had my medical, but that was a waste of paper.

1 minute ago, AL-MJD said:

My green card came in the mail today. Medical never once came up during my interview, and my online status changed positively that night.

I'm not sure what to say? I didn't do an additional medical exam here. I sent in my DS-3025 and vaccination certificate photocopies with my application and as you know, a letter that explained why I am not submitting an I-693 and the date of my overseas medical... And medical issues were not remotely mentioned during my interview.

I actually brought along a print-out of the I-693 instructions page that I mentioned, and highlighted that portion in case the interviewing officer asked me if I've had my medical, but that was a waste of paper.

You did not have to complete an additional medical or complete the I693 because you applied for AOS within one year of completing your overseas medical. That's right. That is how it supposed to be.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You did not have to complete an additional medical or complete the I693 because you applied for AOS within one year of completing your overseas medical. That's right. That is how it supposed to be.

i very much agree. now some VJers have voiced that some interviewing officers insist for an I-693 despite them explaining they've alr done one overseas (maybe due to inexperience? i don't know.) but i've read about it on VJ no later than last month. i'm also pretty careful is why i did the print-out. if you only saw the file i brought to my interviews in Singapore and Omaha....

Edited by AL-MJD

8 minutes ago, AL-MJD said:

i very much agree. now some VJers have voiced that some interviewing officers insist for an I-693 despite them explaining they've alr done one overseas (maybe due to inexperience? i don't know.) but i've read about it on VJ no later than last month. i'm also pretty careful is why i did the print-out. if you only saw the file i brought to my interviews in Singapore and Omaha....

You're right. Interviewing IO's can supercede the rules (and it IS because they are ignorant) and request a new medical exam to be completed via a checklist after the interview. But what I'm saying is you did do it the correct way. You shouldnt be surprised you got through without updating your medical. The process you followed IS the process for K1s.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
11 hours ago, BrassMoonGoldStar said:

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your help.

In my case, I didn't get the shots when I got my medical in Mexico so my DS-3025 was blank. My conclusion, as other have mentioned, was that I needed the I-693 with only eh vaccination assessment, this is explained in the instructions of the I-693. However, it is extremely hard to make the designated surgeons to understand they can do that, and most of them are obsessed with the idea that they can only do a full medical. To my luck I found a very helpful team in LA, Brentview Medical, where I got only the vaccination assessment. They gave me only one shot and did antibody test to proff I was still immune to some of the infections I was potentially needed to get shots, came out fine. The total charge was around $500. They gave me the sealed envelope with the results and I sent it together with the AOS package. I already receive the notifications of action that my forms are in process and the appointment for biometrics, which I had 3 days ago.

I hope my case helps other people in this situation.

Peace.

11 minutes ago, VictorR said:

Thanks everyone for your help.

In my case, I didn't get the shots when I got my medical in Mexico so my DS-3025 was blank. My conclusion, as other have mentioned, was that I needed the I-693 with only eh vaccination assessment, this is explained in the instructions of the I-693. However, it is extremely hard to make the designated surgeons to understand they can do that, and most of them are obsessed with the idea that they can only do a full medical. To my luck I found a very helpful team in LA, Brentview Medical, where I got only the vaccination assessment. They gave me only one shot and did antibody test to proff I was still immune to some of the infections I was potentially needed to get shots, came out fine. The total charge was around $500. They gave me the sealed envelope with the results and I sent it together with the AOS package. I already receive the notifications of action that my forms are in process and the appointment for biometrics, which I had 3 days ago.

I hope my case helps other people in this situation.

Peace.

It's extremely hard to convince the CS's because there are no regulations stating they have to just transcribe the Vaccination records to the I693. They know you are required to get it done so they interpret that as they can do and charge whatever they want. AKA It's just a money grab. 

I'm glad that you managed to find a CS to do the minimum but let this post be a lesson to all who read this thread to make sure you do not avoid fulfilling the vaccine requirements at your medical in your home country when applying for your K1 or CR1 Visa. It's not worth the hassle or the money to have to get it done in the US when you know that you will NEED those vaccines to satisfy the AOS medical requirements.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.