749 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Greetings to all Indian members for K1.

I thought I'd start the new NOA2 to NVC thread specific to our country.

This way we can share all information and help out each other in the phase post receiving our NOA2.

Please join and ask questions and share your experience.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for starting this thread @A_R. It's a unique process for India after the NOA2 and difficult to watch the rest of the world move along so quickly lol! We've had a few stories of great success (Nikhi & Pat) and others who received immediate approvals and flew through the process quickly. I am so happy for them and love watching their story grow... we're all friends on the outside after this process!!!

I, on the other hand, did everything right and front loaded our case (surely they asked for my tax records and support affidavit at the interview) but we have been stuck in AP since our April 13th interview in Mumbai. We've had our congressman office send three inquiries, emailed numerous times and so many updates to our case (both resulting from our contact and random updates). I understand that Prasad and I are a difficult case both with prior divorce, children in both countries, etc. but we provide 100% for our families (even his ex) and it's driving us crazy to not be together and start our lives as one.

I leave U.S. on October 15th to spend 30-days at our Bangalore home (blessed to work remote from anywhere in the world). The travel every 6mo is expensive and taking away from so many other things we'd rather spend it on (I.e. the kids, education, etc.) I guess we're lucky in that sense to have the luxury of doing so but we're at the end of that rope. He's going back into business with his partner, supporting his kids and managing the family. I'm working 60hr weeks and managing the kids busy schedules and raising the family as a single mom. It's unfortunate that govt process doesn't give a about the human element in the process. I'd give up my income and move to India in a heartbeat if I didn't have children (one adopted with special needs) that need me for the next 2-10yrs. Sigh.

I'm happy to connect or answer any questions about the process as we've been through the worst from my perspective. I'm overjoyed when I get news that someone has had success and received approval.

Note: I personally attended the interview in Mumbai and was so offended by our male officers attitude, arrogance and treatment of our Indian applicants that I wrote a scathing report to the embassy and his superior a few months back. It probably hurt us more than helped but I refuse to accept that a fellow US citizen, working in an official government capacity, was allowed to behave in such a way to other human beings. He was rude, yelling, talking down to people and hated the use of an interpreter.

Suggestions and learning:

1. If you speak decent English then don't use an interpreter. It seemed to offend this officer.

2. Don't tell a story. Answer the questions short and concise. They don't care and if they do they'll ask you for more info.

3. Make sure you have a REGIONAL PCC through your local passport office. Make an online appt and pick up same day that you go in...they WILL NOT accept your local jurisdiction police clearance certificate (due to corruption they want it through the govt channels only).

4. Be familiar with the past, present and future process. Know what the I-129 form means, what an I-130 support affidavit includes (and have it ready and with you no matter what the attorneys, posts or services tell you they MAY ask for it right then) and understand what happens after the process. Basically, if the US fiance has been managing all the ppwk you should study it all along with process before the interview. Not to sound old school but it's normal for the female partner to manage the ppwk process but it should be managed by the foreign fiance, but completed together, so they know the process inside and out.

That's my novel for the day and God bless all of you in the process. We pray every day to receive good news and will continue our lives independently in the meantime with purpose and rejoice that we have each other even virtually for now. It's a hard process and the hiccups won't matter in the end when we're together with our loves. It can break you or make you stronger...so keep your head up!!

7285C85D-971F-4780-A58F-45FBB9A31577.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, IndiaAnnie said:

Thanks for starting this thread @A_R. It's a unique process for India after the NOA2 and difficult to watch the rest of the world move along so quickly lol! We've had a few stories of great success (Nikhi & Pat) and others who received immediate approvals and flew through the process quickly. I am so happy for them and love watching their story grow... we're all friends on the outside after this process!!!

I, on the other hand, did everything right and front loaded our case (surely they asked for my tax records and support affidavit at the interview) but we have been stuck in AP since our April 13th interview in Mumbai. We've had our congressman office send three inquiries, emailed numerous times and so many updates to our case (both resulting from our contact and random updates). I understand that Prasad and I are a difficult case both with prior divorce, children in both countries, etc. but we provide 100% for our families (even his ex) and it's driving us crazy to not be together and start our lives as one.

I leave U.S. on October 15th to spend 30-days at our Bangalore home (blessed to work remote from anywhere in the world). The travel every 6mo is expensive and taking away from so many other things we'd rather spend it on (I.e. the kids, education, etc.) I guess we're lucky in that sense to have the luxury of doing so but we're at the end of that rope. He's going back into business with his partner, supporting his kids and managing the family. I'm working 60hr weeks and managing the kids busy schedules and raising the family as a single mom. It's unfortunate that govt process doesn't give a about the human element in the process. I'd give up my income and move to India in a heartbeat if I didn't have children (one adopted with special needs) that need me for the next 2-10yrs. Sigh.

I'm happy to connect or answer any questions about the process as we've been through the worst from my perspective. I'm overjoyed when I get news that someone has had success and received approval.

Note: I personally attended the interview in Mumbai and was so offended by our male officers attitude, arrogance and treatment of our Indian applicants that I wrote a scathing report to the embassy and his superior a few months back. It probably hurt us more than helped but I refuse to accept that a fellow US citizen, working in an official government capacity, was allowed to behave in such a way to other human beings. He was rude, yelling, talking down to people and hated the use of an interpreter.

Suggestions and learning:

1. If you speak decent English then don't use an interpreter. It seemed to offend this officer.

2. Don't tell a story. Answer the questions short and concise. They don't care and if they do they'll ask you for more info.

3. Make sure you have a REGIONAL PCC through your local passport office. Make an online appt and pick up same day that you go in...they WILL NOT accept your local jurisdiction police clearance certificate (due to corruption they want it through the govt channels only).

4. Be familiar with the past, present and future process. Know what the I-129 form means, what an I-130 support affidavit includes (and have it ready and with you no matter what the attorneys, posts or services tell you they MAY ask for it right then) and understand what happens after the process. Basically, if the US fiance has been managing all the ppwkthe you should study it all along with process before the interview. Not to sound old school but it's normal for the female partner to manage the ppwk process but it should be managed by the foreign fiance, but completed together, so they know the process inside and out.

That's my novel for the day and God bless all of you in the process. We pray every day to receive good news and will continue our lives independently in the meantime with purpose and rejoice that we have each other even virtually for now. It's a hard process and the hiccups won't matter in the end when we're together with our loves. It can break you or make you stronger...so keep your head up!!

Hi IndiaAnnie,

My understanding is the Indian male living in Banglore and you US citizen living in the US

I guess my situation is very similar to the cities but gender changed. 

We did apply on Feb 28 but the NOA1 date is Mar 6, 2018 ( old  site)and Mar 9, 2018( new site)  still waiting for NOA2

My fiancee is so tensed, What do u suggest to do based on your experience?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, pknick said:

Hi IndiaAnnie,

My understanding is the Indian male living in Banglore and you US citizen living in the US

I guess my situation is very similar to the cities but gender changed. 

We did apply on Feb 28 but the NOA1 date is Mar 6, 2018 ( old  site)and Mar 9, 2018( new site)  still waiting for NOA2

My fiancee is so tensed, What do u suggest to do based on your experience?

Yes, correct. My fiance Prasad is living in Bangalore/Tumkur (native) while I am in Oregon, USA. We met five years ago working together in tech industry and we're friends/colleagues. Following our divorces we found a lot in common and after meeting in person 2.5yrs ago we fell madly in love. It was electric even though we never touched each other's hand on that trip in June 2016. The story was written ever since and even though we are so far apart we are so strong as a couple and spend every 6mths together in India (Bangalore, Tumkur, Pune (my business connects) and Mumbai for interview) or our favorite vacation spots in Thailand.

You're still waiting for NOA2 so time is hard right now...but you're on your way to the next step. We had NOA1 date in August 2017, NOA2 date in March 2018 (7mths) and interview in April 2018 (8mths) and still in AP as of Sept 2018 (13+mths). During that process we message via WhatsApp every morning, night and try to talk every other day at least. We update about the families, discuss future plans, we adopted a rescue dog together (who he hasn't met but loves just as much and he talks to her through phone), discuss finances, vent about our exes and live like we're together but we're physically separated. We send pics back and forth of our days, sports events, travels and live together virtually (can you imagine the days of snail mail)!!!

In the cases of male US citizen and female applicant I've seen great success in the process and quick approvals for friend. I've seen opposite with male Indian fiance (but also some good success with strong preparation and no complicated background) and the govt perception of abusing K1 for immigration is very much true. We are same age 37yrs, both accomplished in business and support our other families (children and exes) because we can, should and chose to commit to that in our life together. We haven't been asked, been told or presented with the opportunity to offer more info about our story together and that's what I would do different if having the chance again. I would write our timeline, explain our choices and present family info about how we finally support extended families together. I'm sure that caused a red flag but regardless of our outcome we'll be married, here or there, and find a way to be together.

Frankly, if the U.S. doesn't want to approve our petition I'll give up my life, career and income here to be with him in India once my daughter is graduated and settled in college. It's my countries loss in the matter and shame on them for making it so difficult...so many problems would be solved with a phone call, discussion or sharing proper status information.

That's my story and my wish is that everyone else has a much faster and successful experience than we have at the moment!

Xoxo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, IndiaAnnie said:

Yes, correct. My fiance Prasad is living in Bangalore/Tumkur (native) while I am in Oregon, USA. We met five years ago working together in tech industry and we're friends/colleagues. Following our divorces we found a lot in common and after meeting in person 2.5yrs ago we fell madly in love. It was electric even though we never touched each other's hand on that trip in June 2016. The story was written ever since and even though we are so far apart we are so strong as a couple and spend every 6mths together in India (Bangalore, Tumkur, Pune (my business connects) and Mumbai for interview) or our favorite vacation spots in Thailand.

You're still waiting for NOA2 so time is hard right now...but you're on your way to the next step. We had NOA1 date in August 2017, NOA2 date in March 2018 (7mths) and interview in April 2018 (8mths) and still in AP as of Sept 2018 (13+mths). During that process we message via WhatsApp every morning, night and try to talk every other day at least. We update about the families, discuss future plans, we adopted a rescue dog together (who he hasn't met but loves just as much and he talks to her through phone), discuss finances, vent about our exes and live like we're together but we're physically separated. We send pics back and forth of our days, sports events, travels and live together virtually (can you imagine the days of snail mail)!!!

In the cases of male US citizen and female applicant I've seen great success in the process and quick approvals for friend. I've seen opposite with male Indian fiance (but also some good success with strong preparation and no complicated background) and the govt perception of abusing K1 for immigration is very much true. We are same age 37yrs, both accomplished in business and support our other families (children and exes) because we can, should and chose to commit to that in our life together. We haven't been asked, been told or presented with the opportunity to offer more info about our story together and that's what I would do different if having the chance again. I would write our timeline, explain our choices and present family info about how we finally support extended families together. I'm sure that caused a red flag but regardless of our outcome we'll be married, here or there, and find a way to be together.

Frankly, if the U.S. doesn't want to approve our petition I'll give up my life, career and income here to be with him in India once my daughter is graduated and settled in college. It's my countries loss in the matter and shame on them for making it so difficult...so many problems would be solved with a phone call, discussion or sharing proper status information.

That's my story and my wish is that everyone else has a much faster and successful experience than we have at the moment!

Xoxo

What do you mean by AP in the K1 visa process, if you attended the interview ... shouldnt your finacee  get the visa and come US to get married?

Edited by pknick

Just now, pknick said:

What do you mean by AP in the K1 visa process, if you attended the interview ... shouldnt you get the visa and come US to get married?

AP = Administrative Processing

After the interview, the case will go through AP before the visa is issued. This usually takes days, sometimes weeks, rarely months, and very rarely years. It all depends on what exactly needs to be done before they can issue the visa. Usually it's just some clerical work/supervisor approvals + the actual printing of the visa. Sometimes they need other documents. Sometimes they need to do extended background checks. It really depends on the individual's circumstances.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, pknick said:

What do you mean by AP in the K1 visa process, if you attended the interview ... shouldnt your finacee  get the visa and come US to get married?

Exactly @geowrian!

Most do just fine and have approval same day, go into AP a few days to a week, while they process the ppwk and finalize the record, then the Visa is issued. Those with male fiance in India should be extremely prepared with supporting documents and those with complicate scenario (like us) can go through AP for an "undetermined" amount of time after the interview. I only share our story because I didn't know or understand that we'd have a hard time so we weren't emotionally ready for the extended delay. I wish I knew then what I know now lol!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, IndiaAnnie said:

Xoxo

Hello there, This must be difficult for you guys. Me and my fiance' are in the similar situation- I am the Male living in the US and she is in India. Our situation is a little different- My fiance lost her husband in an accident two years after her marriage. I got divorced . We both have children- One of the biggest concerns we have is our significant age difference. She is about 22 years younger than me. We got our NOA 2 on September 4th. We are currently waiting for the NVC to process and forward the application to Mumbai consulate. We are also putting our anticipated documents together. The thought of being denied or placed in AP for indefinite time brings chills in my heart. Dont really understand why they take such a long time. If they indeed want to verify the legitimacy or the relationship they should ask for all the document they need rather than putting the case into AP without letting people know why. I wish things will go smooth for us. Any advice here in our case is so welcome!

6 minutes ago, WhatAWait! said:

If they indeed want to verify the legitimacy or the relationship they should ask for all the document they need rather than putting the case into AP without letting people know why.

Just to clarify, the only options they have are to issue the visa, refuse the visa, or put somebody into AP. This includes if they need additional documents.

"Additional documents" when it comes to showing a bona fide relationship is intentionally vague. It's impossible to say exactly what documents to bring as they can be almost anything and vary heavily from one case to another. Some examples can be provided (and usually are listed in packet 4) like photos, chat and call logs, etc., but the specifics on what is needed for an individual's case is impossible to define, especially ffor a CO who doesn't know you or your circumstances except what you show them.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Just to clarify, the only options they have are to issue the visa, refuse the visa, or put somebody into AP. This includes if they need additional documents.

"Additional documents" when it comes to showing a bona fide relationship is intentionally vague. It's impossible to say exactly what documents to bring as they can be almost anything and vary heavily from one case to another. Some examples can be provided (and usually are listed in packet 4) like photos, chat and call logs, etc., but the specifics on what is needed for an individual's case is impossible to define, especially ffor a CO who doesn't know you or your circumstances except what you show them.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any advice on how to handle the interview? My understanding is they will allow me- the US fiance to be present with her. My fiance does not speak english and she would certainly need a interpreter. Some one in the thread stated that the CO's get irritated and offended by the interpreters. What is your best advice?

6 minutes ago, WhatAWait! said:

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any advice on how to handle the interview? My understanding is they will allow me- the US fiance to be present with her. My fiance does not speak english and she would certainly need a interpreter. Some one in the thread stated that the CO's get irritated and offended by the interpreters. What is your best advice?

This really varies by embassy/consulate, and I'm not familiar enough with Mumbai to speak confidently on norms there, sorry.

If they do allow you to be there, then I suggest doing so as it can help. Even if they don't let you in, you can hand your passport to the beneficiary before the interview as evidence that you are in the country with them.

Other than that, it's just a matter of being honest and confident in your answers. Answer all questions completely, but don't go on and on either...they will cut you off eventually. They just want answers, not explanations...if that difference makes sense. So if there are any unusual circumstances that may pop up (i.e. things out of the cultural norms in India), it would be good to have an idea of how to answer questions about it concisely.

Best wishes.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

This really varies by embassy/consulate, and I'm not familiar enough with Mumbai to speak confidently on norms there, sorry.

If they do allow you to be there, then I suggest doing so as it can help. Even if they don't let you in, you can hand your passport to the beneficiary before the interview as evidence that you are in the country with them.

Other than that, it's just a matter of being honest and confident in your answers. Answer all questions completely, but don't go on and on either...they will cut you off eventually. They just want answers, not explanations...if that difference makes sense. So if there are any unusual circumstances that may pop up (i.e. things out of the cultural norms in India), it would be good to have an idea of how to answer questions about it concisely.

Best wishes.

Thanks, our biggest worry is our significant age gap. We have personally met twice - Once before applying for the K1 and once after applying for it. I am planning to be there for her - knowing that she will need me to be there regardless of the interview resulting in a visa approval or denial. Do you have any words of wisdom for my fiance to answer question about the significant age difference?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.