Bckapp

airfare for my fiance.....?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am going to the interview with my fiance the middle of this coming June.. It is in Manila.. If everything goes well, and the visa is approved, i would like to return home with her. It has not been easy at all to get a coinciding airfare one way for her, but the travel agent said i could get a roundtrip ticket with my same itinerary, and just not use the first portion of the ticket to get to Manila.. She would then use the return,,.. Is she able to do this . This is already somewhat of a gamble that the visa will be cleared, and i cannot afford to make those kinds of costly mistakes.. It is not a cheap way to go, but from what i have seen , there really is not a inexpensive way to do this.. grrr... Any advice, or experiences would be greatly appreciated, .. Thanks everyone, Brian

I am sure that I read on here that if you fail to use the first flight then they cancel your return flight. It is ok though to buy a return and only use the outbound ticket.

Check before you do this as you dont want to lose a whole bunch of money!!

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

I am going to the interview with my fiance the middle of this coming June.. It is in Manila.. If everything goes well, and the visa is approved, i would like to return home with her. It has not been easy at all to get a coinciding airfare one way for her, but the travel agent said i could get a roundtrip ticket with my same itinerary, and just not use the first portion of the ticket to get to Manila.. She would then use the return,,.. Is she able to do this . This is already somewhat of a gamble that the visa will be cleared, and i cannot afford to make those kinds of costly mistakes.. It is not a cheap way to go, but from what i have seen , there really is not a inexpensive way to do this.. grrr... Any advice, or experiences would be greatly appreciated, .. Thanks everyone, Brian

I think the best route will be to wait until the interview and then try to buy the ticket either onlina, by phone or at the airport... I'm sure the airline can accomodate. They handle with those kind of situations often with people like you (having their relatives approved) or even with death situations. Sometime ago a relative of mine died over seas, nobody had a ticket, we all went to the airport (luggage ready and averything) and we got on a plane. All you have to do is explain the situation.

Might cost a little bit more than buying it ahead of time, but you will not be risking loosing your money.

Congrats for your interview and best of luck for your aproval!!!

K-1 Visa - Timeline

04/06/2005 - Met @ Monte Bar

11/24/2005 - Second Trip

11/28/2005 - Got Engaged

03/09/2006 - I-129F Sent

06/23/2006 - I-129F RFE(s)

08/25/2006 - I-129F NOA2

08/29/2006 - NVC Received

09/05/2006 - NVC Left

09/12/2006 - Received by Consulate

10/06/2006 - Surprise Visit - Third Trip

10/04/2007 - Fouth Trip

11/13/2007 - GREAT NEWS... WE'RE PREGNANT!!!

01/09/2008 - Found out we had been scheduled for an interview!!!

03/10/2008 - Approved!!!

03/19/2008 - Visa Received

03/25/2008 - POE Miami

04/07/2008 - Applied for Social Security

04/19/2008 - Social Security Card Received

04/22/2008 - Applied for Marriage License

04/30/2008 - Marriage Counseling Class

05/23/2008 - Wedding Day!!!

06/13/2008 - Daughter Born!!!

06/18/2008 - AOS sent

06/23/2008 - Visa expired

09/05/2008 - RFE, Regarding Co-Sponsor [i-864]

09/25/2008 - Received AP

10/20/2008 - Documents sent

10/29/2008 - Case Touched, "Case resumed"

10/31/2008 - Case Touched

11/03/2008 - Case Touched

01/08/2009 - RFE

02/19/2009 - Documents Sent

03/12/2009 - I-765, Touched!!!

03/13/2009 - Employment Authorization Cards ON-HAND!!!

03/19/2009 - Received Interview letter for I-485!!!

05/11/2009 - Interview day... Approved, card production ordered!!!!

05/14/2009 - Welcome Letter received!!!

06/20/2009 - Green Card Received!!!

Lift Conditions on 02/11/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi Brian,

Congratulations on the interview!!

This is going to sound awful, but if you can't afford to risk losing that $$, then I wouldn't take the gamble. You don't know if a) she'll pass the interview or B) if she'll be placed under Administrative Review following the interview. She may be approved, but you'll run into c) delays receiving the visa. As you'll hear on VJ, consulates won't jump through hoops to assist when you plea that you have: plan reservations you need to meet; wedding reservations made/paid for; a baby on the way.

Everything may go fine at the embassy and without a hitch, but there's a lot that can go wrong(!). Personally, I wouldn't take the gamble. I know you what to fly to the U.S. together (it's a long trip and of course you want to celebrate together), but if she's been approved and has the visa, it's only a little while longer. Hang tight.

Much good luck at the interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MM and MS

MM and MS

San Francisco and Istanbul

I-129F Received (CSC): February 21, 2007

Filing Fee Check Cashed: February 26, 2007

NOA1 Issued: February 28, 2007

Touched: March 1, 2007

Touched: May 7, 2007

RFE Issued: May 8, 2007

RFE Reply Sent: June 25, 2007 (wrong PO Box)

RFE Reply Sent: July 12, 2007 (correct address)

RFE Reply Received (CSC): July 19, 2007

Touched: July 20, 2007

NOA2 Issued: July 27, 2007

Petition Received (NVC): August 20,2007

Petition Sent to Embassy (Ankara, Turkey): August 22, 2007

Packet 3 Arrived: September 11, 2007

I think the best route will be to wait until the interview and then try to buy the ticket either onlina, by phone or at the airport... I'm sure the airline can accomodate. They handle with those kind of situations often with people like you (having their relatives approved) or even with death situations. Sometime ago a relative of mine died over seas, nobody had a ticket, we all went to the airport (luggage ready and averything) and we got on a plane. All you have to do is explain the situation.

Might cost a little bit more than buying it ahead of time, but you will not be risking loosing your money.

Cost a little bit more? I think that is a very big understatement. I remember yrs ago when my grandma died and my family had to get tickets in like 2 days, they cost over twice as much as normal ones and it was super super hard to get on such short notice. Especially with summer around the corner & more people traveling, I would not recommend showing up at airport, or buying your ticket there.

I agree with one of the previous posters, that if you buy a roundtrip like yours, and she doesnt use the outbound ticket, they may cancel the return ticket. Be safe, and wait until the outcome of the interview. Once you have a visa in hand, then look online or visit a travel agency (sometimes they can find the magic last seat that we can't online).

Good luck :)

12140.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Just a thought,

What about reversing you original idea?

You buy your round trip ticket (I'm assuming you need to do that and can't get away with a one way)

When her visa is approved and in hand, if you can't get her a flight matching yours,

Scrap your return flight and buy two one way tickets together.

It seems to be about the same amount of money at risk, or maybe even less.

Your travel agent may have suggested the othe way around so s/he wouldn't lose the commission on the return trip!

Sue

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

On my many trips to Jamaica, I have changed my flight plans a time or two. Sometimes they did it for free, sometimes, they charged me $100, depending on what airline I flew. I've never had any issues at all changing. If it is going to cost you that much difference, you could make the reservations and then just change the flights if necesary. Tickets are good for a year.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

When I booked our tickets (me round-trip/Marlene one-way) I called the airline (NWA) reservations (since I couldn't make such arrangements online) and made the arrangements so that we were on the same flight coming home. Marlene's visa was delayed beyond our original plans, but we were able to change the dates of the flights for a reasonable fee.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

You def CANNOT only use the inbound portion of the ticket. If the outbound is not used, the inbound WILL be canceled. You may want to consider getting a ticket on a low cost airline to another gateway such as Hong Kong or elsewhere and then tickets may be cheaper from there.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Your name will be on the return leg, so I don't think the airline will let her board the plane.

When I went to china, I just booked a RT for my self, and booked a one way on the same flights home for my wife, United had no problems with booking this way, the one way was just a bit less than my round trip.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
It has not been easy at all to get a coinciding airfare one way for her, but the travel agent said i could get a roundtrip ticket with my same itinerary, and just not use the first portion of the ticket to get to Manila.. She would then use the return,,.. Is she able to do this .

A travel agent said this?

Time to get a new travel agent....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
On my many trips to Jamaica, I have changed my flight plans a time or two. Sometimes they did it for free, sometimes, they charged me $100, depending on what airline I flew. I've never had any issues at all changing. If it is going to cost you that much difference, you could make the reservations and then just change the flights if necesary. Tickets are good for a year.

Yes, most airline's penalty for changes on the date are only $100, so if you want to you can book your tickets now and if something happens you'll have to pay $100 for each ticket, to change the dates.

You can also do some online search to find itineraries with the same return flight, these are great sites that display all the airline's itineraries available : www.kayak.com , www.cheaptickets.com.

My fiance and I, traveled to Europe last year together from different departure cities, and we were able to find on those web sites the exact same return flight with the same conection. We always buy our air tickets online, it is cheaper than doing it through a travel agent and you can choose the itinerary that suits you better. I think is a bit weird that the travel agent said there are no one way flights for your fiance, do some online search yourself to see if there are any available.

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, most airline's penalty for changes on the date are only $100, so if you want to you can book your tickets now and if soemthing happens you'll have to pay $100 for each ticket, to change the dates.

You can also do some online search to find itineraries with the same return flight, these are great sites that display all the airline's itineraries available : www.kayak.com , www.cheaptickets.com.

My fiance and I, traveled to Europe last year together from different departure cities, and we were able to find on those web sites the exact same return flight with the same conection. We always buy our air tickets online, it is cheaper than doing it through a travel agent and you can choose the itinerary that suits you better. I think is a bit weird that the travel agent said there are no one way flights for your fiance, do some online search yourself to see if there are any available.

I was not able to make a reservation ORIGINATING in Jamaica (i.e. foreign country) via the internet. I had to call the airlines directly and make Andre's one-way reservation, so I made mine at the same time.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Yes, most airline's penalty for changes on the date are only $100, so if you want to you can book your tickets now and if soemthing happens you'll have to pay $100 for each ticket, to change the dates.

I was not able to make a reservation ORIGINATING in Jamaica (i.e. foreign country) via the internet. I had to call the airlines directly and make Andre's one-way reservation, so I made mine at the same time.

That's true, some sites only accept reservations from people who are in the U.S. the kayak site forwards you to the airline website and you can make the reservation directly there, online or through the airline's call center they offer the same airfares. The good thing about looking online is that even when you don't do the online reservation you can ask for the exact itinerary you want and the flight number you choose, you can try different dates and find whatever adjusts better to your plans.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

I've flown alot, and each time that I missed the outbound flight, the return flight was automatically canceled. So, I wouldn't follow your travel agents advice.

However, you could book her a round trip ticket, originating from her country, with a return date in the WAY far future (which could save money too). Then, she just wouldn't use the return ticket, cuz she's be staying with you in the USA. ;)

I would also be try to be more sure about her chances of passing the interview. I was confident when my fiancee (now wife) went to her interview and I flew over to be with her. As it turns out, we were missing a document, and her visa wasn't issued for a few weeks. I had to book another flight to go back to pick her up later...plus change her original flight. It was expensive...

However, if it is at all possible, I do think it is a good idea for you to travel to the U.S. with her. Most likely, she'll pass the interview. In our case though, the POE was a bit more of an effort. Nothing was wrong, but it was her first time to the U.S., and immigration at Detroit gave us a 'hard look', made us sit in a room for about two hours before they finally said 'OK!'. For me, it didn't seem like a big deal at all, but for her...she was really worried and I was glad to be with her. So, its a tough choice, but if I had to do it again, I would be with her for the entry in to the U.S., before I would be with her at the interview....

But, as you know...every case is different...

Peace!

MK

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.