B+J

N600 processing time and procedure

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline
4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

No

Thank you for the info. I did research and found that out via YouTube. 

I am now trying to find out how my stepson can get a passport with only his dad in the US. The mom lives in Dominican Republic and he does not have sole custody. I called the passport office and they referred me to the USCIS office which is always a hassle to call. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
4 minutes ago, lamafiosa69 said:

Thank you for the info. I did research and found that out via YouTube. 

I am now trying to find out how my stepson can get a passport with only his dad in the US. The mom lives in Dominican Republic and he does not have sole custody. I called the passport office and they referred me to the USCIS office which is always a hassle to call. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

Look under "7.  Show Parental Consent."

Mom will have to go the to US Embassy in DR to notarize DS-3053.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 1/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, I did this. I applied for the passport with physical documents and then applied online (using scanned copies of all the docs) for the n600. I answered yes for applying for passport - I think there was somewhere I could note it had not been issued yet? - and then when I got her passport, I uploaded a scan of that to the documents part of the n600 application, with a note explaining that it had been issued after the n600 application was submitted. The n600 got approved pretty soon after that. This was pre Covid, I think it took around 2 months for the passport (there was an RFE) and 3 months to n600 approval.

Hi my son already has his passport now I want apply his n600 he is now 17 can you plz tell me how can I described him in application like he is permanent resident or citizen coz he is now citizen  ?

Timeline
25 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

Look under "7.  Show Parental Consent."

Mom will have to go the to US Embassy in DR to notarize DS-3053.

Even though the mom is not a US citizen? I called the passport customer service, asked that question and was told that she could not go that route because she is not a citizen. I may have to call the US embassy in DR to see what they say. I am also going to the Dominican Embassy so that I can double check. 

6 minutes ago, lamafiosa69 said:

Even though the mom is not a US citizen? I called the passport customer service, asked that question and was told that she could not go that route because she is not a citizen. I may have to call the US embassy in DR to see what they say. I am also going to the Dominican Embassy so that I can double check. 

If the citizen parent does not have legal custody (joint is ok) then the preconditions for automatic acquisition of citizenship are not fulfilled. A court order showing joint custody would be sufficient.  Or are you specifically talking about consent to get a passport? Different issue, but custody needs to be sorted out too.

Edited by SusieQQQ

19 minutes ago, ranajee_87 said:

Hi my son already has his passport now I want apply his n600 he is now 17 can you plz tell me how can I described him in application like he is permanent resident or citizen coz he is now citizen  ?

Obviously you describe him as a citizen if he’s a citizen?

Timeline
10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If the citizen parent does not have legal custody (joint is ok) then the preconditions for automatic acquisition of citizenship are not fulfilled. A court order showing joint custody would be sufficient.  Or are you specifically talking about consent to get a passport? Different issue, but custody needs to be sorted out too.

Oh got it. I don't think a joint custody agreement was ever made. The only thing that they have is the birth certificate with both names on it.  Would custody have to be sorted out for the N-600?  

1 minute ago, lamafiosa69 said:

Oh got it. I don't think a joint custody agreement was ever made. The only thing that they have is the birth certificate with both names on it.  Would custody have to be sorted out for the N-600?  

Yes, the requirements to prove automatic acquisition of citizenship are the same for both. Birth certificate is not enough to show legal custody, all it proves on its own is parentage. Would the mother be amenable to formalizing the custody agreement legally? If not then the kid will have to apply for himself when he turns 18 (assuming he meets all other naturalization requirements by then). 

The legal custody requirements are as follows:

Legal custody refers to the responsibility for and authority over a child. For purposes of this provision, USCIS presumes that a U.S. citizen parent has legal custody of a child and recognizes that the parent has lawful authority over the child, absent evidence to the contrary, in all of the following scenarios:

• A biological child who currently resides with both biological parents who are married to each other, living in marital union, and not separated;
  • A biological child who currently resides with a surviving biological parent, if the other parent is deceased;
  • A biological child born out of wedlock who has been legitimated and currently resides with the parent;
  • An adopted child with a final adoption decree who currently resides with the adoptive U.S. citizen parent;
  • A child of divorced or legally separated parents where a court of law or other appropriate government entity has awarded primary care, control, and maintenance of the child to a parent under the laws of the state or country of residence.
  • USCIS considers a U.S. citizen parent who has been awarded “joint custody” to have legal custody of a child. 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-4

Timeline
26 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, the requirements to prove automatic acquisition of citizenship are the same for both. Birth certificate is not enough to show legal custody, all it proves on its own is parentage. Would the mother be amenable to formalizing the custody agreement legally? If not then the kid will have to apply for himself when he turns 18 (assuming he meets all other naturalization requirements by then). 

The legal custody requirements are as follows:

Legal custody refers to the responsibility for and authority over a child. For purposes of this provision, USCIS presumes that a U.S. citizen parent has legal custody of a child and recognizes that the parent has lawful authority over the child, absent evidence to the contrary, in all of the following scenarios:

• A biological child who currently resides with both biological parents who are married to each other, living in marital union, and not separated;
  • A biological child who currently resides with a surviving biological parent, if the other parent is deceased;
  • A biological child born out of wedlock who has been legitimated and currently resides with the parent;
  • An adopted child with a final adoption decree who currently resides with the adoptive U.S. citizen parent;
  • A child of divorced or legally separated parents where a court of law or other appropriate government entity has awarded primary care, control, and maintenance of the child to a parent under the laws of the state or country of residence.
  • USCIS considers a U.S. citizen parent who has been awarded “joint custody” to have legal custody of a child. 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-4

Thank you so much for this information. We will work on getting the custody paperwork in order. I am glad you were able to help me understand this.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone, a little background info about me. I’m a US citizen sponsor and 2 years ago, I didn’t know better so I thought K1 visa was the fastest way to bring my then fiancé (who is also the mother) and my 4 year old son to the US. They arrived on K1/K2, we got married and adjusted status. They were issued conditional green cards which will be due for restriction removal in some months. My son meets all the requirements to file for an N600 since our he has been legitimated when I married his mom. Except I’m not sure if having a conditional green card also count as being a “lawful permanent resident”. Has anyone been in this situation and got an N600 approved or should I wait to remove conditional and then file N600? TIA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
56 minutes ago, ashmed246 said:

Hi everyone, a little background info about me. I’m a US citizen sponsor and 2 years ago, I didn’t know better so I thought K1 visa was the fastest way to bring my then fiancé (who is also the mother) and my 4 year old son to the US. They arrived on K1/K2, we got married and adjusted status. They were issued conditional green cards which will be due for restriction removal in some months. My son meets all the requirements to file for an N600 since our he has been legitimated when I married his mom. Except I’m not sure if having a conditional green card also count as being a “lawful permanent resident”. Has anyone been in this situation and got an N600 approved or should I wait to remove conditional and then file N600? TIA

Yes, the conditional green card carries the same "legal permanent resident" status as the full green card.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
41 minutes ago, ollie said:

Yes, the conditional green card carries the same "legal permanent resident" status as the full green card.

Thank you! I had to be sure coz I can’t let $1170 be a waste!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.