B+J

N600 processing time and procedure

43 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, Lenchick said:

Filed online N-600 in March 2020. It is sooo good they have this option now. It was accepted and is under review. I am curious how long people usually wait. Someone said that in FL they got it done in 3 months, in TX in 5 months. Practically for all offices the  official processing time  is 5-11 months. I wonder if someone else got it within at least 5 months?

My impression from this thread is that it is much quicker for INA320 cases. I guess the proof is easier or something. Ours was actually less than what the minimum indicated time had been at the time (and latest processing times have gone down from then)

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! It’s been 4 month since we filed and the application support centers got open after the quarantine,, but we have not been invited for biometrics yet. I thought we would be lucky and have the process done in 5 months. It doesn’t look like that. According to the USCIS official processing timeline (not sure how accurate it is) they are processing April 2019 receipts. 😔 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello,

we are planning to file for N600 for my step son but at the same time I also got an offer to relocate to Germany. My question is if we file and do biometrics, will the N600 still process and how do we go about receiving the N600 certificate. Will USCIS send it to Germany or maybe a US embassy in Germany.

Of course we could change our address to our friends address and they could mail it to us, but I am just checking options at this point.

Best Regards

Jonny Eser 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, gazgazain said:

Hello,

we are planning to file for N600 for my step son but at the same time I also got an offer to relocate to Germany. My question is if we file and do biometrics, will the N600 still process and how do we go about receiving the N600 certificate. Will USCIS send it to Germany or maybe a US embassy in Germany.

Of course we could change our address to our friends address and they could mail it to us, but I am just checking options at this point.

Best Regards

Jonny Eser 

Hi! did you figure out what to do? From my knowledge you cannot do it overseas. You can just get a passport for a child and file N-600 any time later when you are back. Or I guess there is N600K for children who reside permanently overseas, there are should be some conditions met though. 

Timeline

Hello,

I have not figured this out yet. But as you mentioned we can get the passport and do it later when we are back. I will investigate once we get to a point that we can file for the N600.

• 4 months later...

Curious if anyone has experience applying for a child's passport and N-600 at the same time?

I know many people will say "why get both?" "passport is cheaper" but given the documentation needed ( mother's citizenship certificate, birth certificate, mother's marriage certificate  etc.) just to get the passport, I am thinking later in life if he needs to renew a lapsed passport he may have trouble getting all those documents again.  There is one question on the N-600 application where they ask if you have ever applied for N-600 or a passport before.  at this point my answer would be no but during the process they may discover that we are applying (a few weeks from now).  Not sure what impact that will have on the application process. The minor child is 17 and turns 18 later this year.

50 minutes ago, BullToTo said:

Curious if anyone has experience applying for a child's passport and N-600 at the same time?

I know many people will say "why get both?" "passport is cheaper" but given the documentation needed ( mother's citizenship certificate, birth certificate, mother's marriage certificate  etc.) just to get the passport, I am thinking later in life if he needs to renew a lapsed passport he may have trouble getting all those documents again.  There is one question on the N-600 application where they ask if you have ever applied for N-600 or a passport before.  at this point my answer would be no but during the process they may discover that we are applying (a few weeks from now).  Not sure what impact that will have on the application process. The minor child is 17 and turns 18 later this year.

Yes, I did this. I applied for the passport with physical documents and then applied online (using scanned copies of all the docs) for the n600. I answered yes for applying for passport - I think there was somewhere I could note it had not been issued yet? - and then when I got her passport, I uploaded a scan of that to the documents part of the n600 application, with a note explaining that it had been issued after the n600 application was submitted. The n600 got approved pretty soon after that. This was pre Covid, I think it took around 2 months for the passport (there was an RFE) and 3 months to n600 approval.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Hello,

I will also do this next week. I am looking at the N600 application and there is the following question:

Have you previously applied for a Certificate of Citizenship or a U.S. Passport?

If you say yes, then there is a explanation/message:

You may not be eligible to file an Application for Certificate of Citizenship (N-600)

If you have previously filed only an application for a passport, please disregard this message.

If you previously filed an Application for Certificate of Citizenship and received a decision from USCIS, you should not file this application again. USCIS will reject any newly filed application for Certificate of Citizenship (N-600) you file.

If USCIS denied your prior Application for Certificate of Citizenship, you may be eligible to appeal that decision using the Notice of Appeal or Motion (Form I-290B). If the time for appeal has expired, you should submit a motion to reopen or reconsider using Form I-290B.  Review your decision notice for more information.

If you are seeking to replace a lost or stolen certificate, you should submit the Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (Form N-565).

So basically if you only applied for passport then you can disregard the message and continue with the N600 application.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:49 PM, gazgazain said:

So basically if you only applied for passport then you can disregard the message and continue with the N600 application.

Yea, It makes you wonder why they included the part about the passport to begin with.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, I did this. I applied for the passport with physical documents and then applied online (using scanned copies of all the docs) for the n600. I answered yes for applying for passport - I think there was somewhere I could note it had not been issued yet? - and then when I got her passport, I uploaded a scan of that to the documents part of the n600 application, with a note explaining that it had been issued after the n600 application was submitted. The n600 got approved pretty soon after that. This was pre Covid, I think it took around 2 months for the passport (there was an RFE) and 3 months to n600 approval.

Hi Susie,

(For the passport)When you say "physical documents" did they accept photo copies or did they insist on originals? The application instructions make it sound like they need to see original but will accept photo copy to send off with the application but when I spoke to a a person from the State Department help line she insisted they would require the original be sent off with application.  The problem with that is my wife and stepson will be applying for passport at the same time and both require my wife's citizenship certificate as proof of citizenship. Thanks for any insight.

29 minutes ago, BullToTo said:

Hi Susie,

(For the passport)When you say "physical documents" did they accept photo copies or did they insist on originals? The application instructions make it sound like they need to see original but will accept photo copy to send off with the application but when I spoke to a a person from the State Department help line she insisted they would require the original be sent off with application.  The problem with that is my wife and stepson will be applying for passport at the same time and both require my wife's citizenship certificate as proof of citizenship. Thanks for any insight.

It must be originals, they want copies of all docs as well but you have to submit the originals. I applied at the same time as my daughter and that was no problem, both applications were put in the same package with my one and only naturalization certificate, with a separate (non original) copy per application. My understanding is that someone at DoS needs to confirm the originals. So if you apply at a passport agency (part of DoS) they check the original copy and give it back to you then, but if you apply at USPS the original still needs to be sent to DoS. 

Timeline

Hello All,

just a couple of questions to see what everyone else did. I am filing for N600 for 7 year old son based on Derivative citizenship. During the N600 process these question came up and are little confusing:

Your proof of U.S. citizenship
If you have proof of your U.S. citizenship, you should upload a copy or image. This may include:

• Birth certificate showing birth in the United States
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
  • Report of Birth Abroad of United States Citizen (FS-240)
  • Valid unexpired U.S. passport

Baptismal certificate
Upload a copy or image of the certificate under the church seal where your baptism occurred showing your:

• Place of birth
  • Date of birth
  • Baptism date
  • Parents' names
  • Godparents' names (if known)

But we are applying for the proof based on Derivative citizenship so the child in question does not have any of these documents? 

My guess is to just click next for these documents. 

Also the following are requested:

School record

Upload a copy or image of an official letter from school authorities for the school attended showing your:

• Date of admission to the school
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth or age that time
  • The names of and residences of your birth parents (if shown in the school records)

Census records

Upload a copy or image of State or Federal census records showing your:

• Name
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth or age

Affidavits

Upload a copy or image of your affidavits if other types of secondary evidence are not available.

An affidavit is a typed or printed statement sworn to by two people who have personal knowledge of the claimed event. Affidavits must overcome the unavailability of both required documents and secondary evidence. Examples of events you may submit and affidavit for include:

• Your place and date of birth
  • Marriage
  • Death

The people making these statements are not required to be U.S. citizens and may be relatives. Each affidavit must contain the following information about the person making the affidavit:

• Full legal name
  • Address
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth
  • Relationship to you
  • Detailed information about the event to include how they came to know about its occurence

Again, I am assuming these are needed if you are applying based on a different critera than Derivative citizenship.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Jonny

Edited by gazgazain

4 hours ago, gazgazain said:

Hello All,

just a couple of questions to see what everyone else did. I am filing for N600 for 7 year old son based on Derivative citizenship. During the N600 process these question came up and are little confusing:

Your proof of U.S. citizenship
If you have proof of your U.S. citizenship, you should upload a copy or image. This may include:

• Birth certificate showing birth in the United States
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
  • Report of Birth Abroad of United States Citizen (FS-240)
  • Valid unexpired U.S. passport

Baptismal certificate
Upload a copy or image of the certificate under the church seal where your baptism occurred showing your:

• Place of birth
  • Date of birth
  • Baptism date
  • Parents' names
  • Godparents' names (if known)

But we are applying for the proof based on Derivative citizenship so the child in question does not have any of these documents? 

My guess is to just click next for these documents. 

Also the following are requested:

School record

Upload a copy or image of an official letter from school authorities for the school attended showing your:

• Date of admission to the school
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth or age that time
  • The names of and residences of your birth parents (if shown in the school records)

Census records

Upload a copy or image of State or Federal census records showing your:

• Name
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth or age

Affidavits

Upload a copy or image of your affidavits if other types of secondary evidence are not available.

An affidavit is a typed or printed statement sworn to by two people who have personal knowledge of the claimed event. Affidavits must overcome the unavailability of both required documents and secondary evidence. Examples of events you may submit and affidavit for include:

• Your place and date of birth
  • Marriage
  • Death

The people making these statements are not required to be U.S. citizens and may be relatives. Each affidavit must contain the following information about the person making the affidavit:

• Full legal name
  • Address
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth
  • Relationship to you
  • Detailed information about the event to include how they came to know about its occurence

Again, I am assuming these are needed if you are applying based on a different critera than Derivative citizenship.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Jonny

I don’t remember getting those questions other than if you have proof of citizenship.  Are there some basic documents you are missing that you need all this stuff for secondary proof? Or did you maybe click yes or no incorrectly at some earlier stage?

First one is IF you have proof, so obviously if you don’t, you don’t upload there 

I am assuming the other questions are to fulfil the INA320 requirements that is prove it is your child in your physical and legal custody. We did upload a letter from the school confirming they had school records at same address as parent  to show physical custody. Parents married so marriage certificate was enough for legal custody.  Once we had passport we uploaded that.  Nothing of any of the other things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.