Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Why is your medical only good for 30 days? Did you do it 5 months ago?

I was originally told it was only good for 30 days. Was confirmed today its good for 6 months. I moved all my stuff, paid the fines included. I should have my documents and just got 2 weeks later

Timeline

If I am not mistaken this is the type of police check we should request for (https://www.canada.ca/en/parole-board/services/expungements/step-2-court-police-documents/fingerprint-based-criminal-record-check.html). Now I know the purpose of the link is not for immigration, but the type of check described in this link seems to be similar to the one the consulate is asking for. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, CanadianinUSA said:

Does it matter if we go to   commissionaries  or the RCMP detachment for this?

No it doesn't. You just need to go to an RCMP partner agency for the RCMP themselves. 

I went to a partner agency, they took my fingerprints sent it to the RCMP i'll get my thing back from the RCMP.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry if this was asked before, but does anyone know how long the Police certificate is good for?

My CC on July 27th and still not interview date yet. I did my I went to a partner agency, they took my fingerprints back on April 26th and I'm assuming they are only valid for 6 months.

Hi All - just wanted to share (do with it what you will). People that had their interview today I'm sure brought different forms of a police check. One person I've kept in contact with said they brought in the one that was requested for "immigration" versus the privacy act (so like a "visa/waiver" request). Bottom line was this - it had the finger prints on it and that is what they were looking for.

Of course, this could all depend on the person you get that day but what i've done is request both the one per their instructions "Privacy Act", no seal, no picture, no finger prints; AND today i also requested one under the "visa/waiver" request which will give you prints, picture ...etc. I'm bringing them all. The actual document they ask for with the specifications they list on the site DOES NOT EXIST. It only exists via a combination of two. Any who, who knows what the right answer is here but I'm going to cover all my bases and hope I get mine before Oct. 

FOR ANYONE WHO HAD THEIR INTERVIEWS THIS WEEK - PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE RE: THE NEW "AS OF SEPT 10" POLICE CHECK PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP :)

Edited by SMK 89

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, SMK 89 said:

Hi All - just wanted to share (do with it what you will). People that had their interview today I'm sure brought different forms of a police check. One person I've kept in contact with said they brought in the one that was requested for "immigration" versus the privacy act (so like a "visa/waiver" request). Bottom line was this - it had the finger prints on it and that is what they were looking for.

Of course, this could all depend on the person you get that day but what i've done is request both the one per their instructions "Privacy Act", no seal, no picture, no finger prints; AND today i also requested one under the "visa/waiver" request which will give you prints, picture ...etc. I'm bringing them all. The actual document they ask for with the specifications they list on the site DOES NOT EXIST. It only exists via a combination of two. Any who, who knows what the right answer is here but I'm going to cover all my bases and hope I get mine before Oct. 

FOR ANYONE WHO HAD THEIR INTERVIEWS THIS WEEK - PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE RE: THE NEW "AS OF SEPT 10" POLICE CHECK PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP :)

I just messaged another Canadian who had their interview today.  They only had the name check.  They didn’t have their fingerprint one nor did they look for it.

Again, it maybe depends on who you get. 

My fiance was approved at her interview (K visa) in Montreal today. She only had a regular (no fingerprint check) police certificate from the local police. They didn't say anything about needing anything else. She also only had her Ontario short form birth certificate (wallet size) and they didn't say anything about that either. (She'd ordered a long form months ago, but it was delayed and didn't arrive in time for the interview). I'm not recommending not having all the required documentation, but at least those of you that have interviews coming up before there's time to get the proper certificate probably don't have anything to worry about.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, confusedinny said:

My fiance was approved at her interview (K visa) in Montreal today. She only had a regular (no fingerprint check) police certificate from the local police. They didn't say anything about needing anything else. She also only had her Ontario short form birth certificate (wallet size) and they didn't say anything about that either. (She'd ordered a long form months ago, but it was delayed and didn't arrive in time for the interview). I'm not recommending not having all the required documentation, but at least those of you that have interviews coming up before there's time to get the proper certificate probably don't have anything to worry about.

Congrats on the approval and thank you for posting your fiance’s interview experience! I’m feeling better now. :)

Timeline

I want to update people on here about this whole debacle with the "Certified Criminal Check" that NVC is asking for.

I contacted RCMP and they told me that since I do NOT live in an RCMP jurisdiction (RCMP does not have jurisdiction in major cities), I have to go to my local police department for the criminal check. So I contacted the Calgary Police, and they said, "We do not do finger print criminal check and you have to go to a partner agency of RCMP to do those....we recommend Commissionaires". So I called the Commissionaires, and they said, "RCMP has told us NOT to do any of those certified criminal checks under the "Privacy Act", as those are supposed to be done ONLY for those individuals who have a criminal record and have been pardoned. For anyone who does not have a criminal record, a criminal check with finger prints CANNOT be obtained with the reason of "Privacy Act". Furthermore, the Commissionaires person said that RCMP has informed them to not just not do these checks, but also that they have lodged a complaint with the US Dept of State that they are asking for a document from Canadians that actually contravenes the rights of people here in Canada in some way (I don't know how)...basically meaning that the document they are asking for, from the people who are intending to immigrate, cannot be obtained because it does NOT apply to INNOCENT People who do not have a criminal record. So in order to prove that I have no criminal record, I have to get a document for myself that only is available for those who have a criminal record!!

Long story short, RCMP, Calgary Police, AND Commissionaires have all refused to do the Certified Criminal Check with finger prints under the Privacy Act. Commissionaires guy said however, that if I wanted to get it done with US immigration Visa as the purpose/reason, they could do it. Otherwise, no.

Someone please tell me how this makes sense, or what is the way out of it. We just got our NVC case number and paid our fees, so we havent submitted any documents yet. However, I understand that we do need to submit this certificate to the NVC in the coming days. So I want to be ready with it.

If any of you have any idea as to what we could do, please do share.

Thanks.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

I want to update people on here about this whole debacle with the "Certified Criminal Check" that NVC is asking for.

I contacted RCMP and they told me that since I do NOT live in an RCMP jurisdiction (RCMP does not have jurisdiction in major cities), I have to go to my local police department for the criminal check. So I contacted the Calgary Police, and they said, "We do not do finger print criminal check and you have to go to a partner agency of RCMP to do those....we recommend Commissionaires". So I called the Commissionaires, and they said, "RCMP has told us NOT to do any of those certified criminal checks under the "Privacy Act", as those are supposed to be done ONLY for those individuals who have a criminal record and have been pardoned. For anyone who does not have a criminal record, a criminal check with finger prints CANNOT be obtained with the reason of "Privacy Act". Furthermore, the Commissionaires person said that RCMP has informed them to not just not do these checks, but also that they have lodged a complaint with the US Dept of State that they are asking for a document from Canadians that actually contravenes the rights of people here in Canada in some way (I don't know how)...basically meaning that the document they are asking for, from the people who are intending to immigrate, cannot be obtained because it does NOT apply to INNOCENT People who do not have a criminal record. So in order to prove that I have no criminal record, I have to get a document for myself that only is available for those who have a criminal record!!

Long story short, RCMP, Calgary Police, AND Commissionaires have all refused to do the Certified Criminal Check with finger prints under the Privacy Act. Commissionaires guy said however, that if I wanted to get it done with US immigration Visa as the purpose/reason, they could do it. Otherwise, no.

Someone please tell me how this makes sense, or what is the way out of it. We just got our NVC case number and paid our fees, so we havent submitted any documents yet. However, I understand that we do need to submit this certificate to the NVC in the coming days. So I want to be ready with it.

Thanks.

So I literally did all the same things you did and got all the same response (IE RCMP cant do it for lack of jurisdiction, Calgary Police does not do it and to call third party). Now there is one service in Calgary called L-1 Identity Solutions. He said they can do it, in fact when I try to clarify with him for the second time to make sure they can do it, he gave me some attitude lol.

Now not sure if he did not know the information you mentioned above or if they can actually do it.

Edited by Ahoy01

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

Thanks.

Thanks

I sent a pm to registered user who had an interview yesterday in Mtrl, and asked about his experience. He said that he wasn't asked for the new (??) background check, they accepted the certified fingerprint check based on immigration.

I hope this is the case as my interview is Friday.

If the RCMP did lodge a complaint, perhaps the Embassy has changed their mind? The other possibility is that the the September 10th date refers to documents uploaded to CEAC. If the NVC had qualified your documents before September 10th, maybe you don't need this new check?

Timeline
19 hours ago, SMK 89 said:

what i've done is request both the one per their instructions "Privacy Act", no seal, no picture, no finger prints; AND today i also requested one under the "visa/waiver" request which will give you prints, picture ...etc. I'm bringing them all. The actual document they ask for with the specifications they list on the site DOES NOT EXIST. It only exists via a combination of two. Any who, who knows what the right answer is here but I'm going to cover all my bases and hope I get mine before Oct.

Thank you for this. I just did this today. So now I will have a combo of 3 police checks to submit at my interview. The namecheck, the Privacy Act, and the Visa/Border. The very accommodating Canadian Fingerprints agency in downtown Toronto confirmed that a certified police check under Privacy Act does not contain the fingerprints.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, R.Q. said:

Thank you for this. I just did this today. So now I will have a combo of 3 police checks to submit at my interview. The namecheck, the Privacy Act, and the Visa/Border. The very accommodating Canadian Fingerprints agency in downtown Toronto confirmed that a certified police check under Privacy Act does not contain the fingerprints.

That is very weird. I went to him and asked and he confirmed it did. He showed me an example and said it did contain finger prints. BLECK. Too much stress

Timeline
9 minutes ago, R.Q. said:

I just called, The girl says it comes back, will have you two thumb prints and two index fingers so it wont have ALL finger prints but it will have finger prints. This is when you request it under the privacy act. 

When i went on Tuesday the guy told me this is what they have been doing since Sept 1st and haven't had any issues. It will have some fingier prints on the document itself. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.