JasonGG

K-1 Driver's License in Maryland . . . FINALLY!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I wanted to share my wife's experience getting a driver's license in Maryland while adjusting status from a K-1 visa.  Our experience is Maryland specific, so other states may have different rules.  From our experience and talking to others in Maryland, it is a difficult process in Maryland and not everyone will have the same outcome.  Just be persistent!

My wife has a Vietnamese license, so she skipped the learner's permit step.  Still had to take a 3-hour drug and alcohol course and exam.  After submitting paperwork, paying $120 for MVA-approved translation of her Vietnamese license, passing the written test, and then passing the driving skills test . . . a 2 week process . . . we met with a supervisor for photo and final review to print the license.  When he handed her the temporary paper license, it had an expiration date that was the same day as her I-94 in just 5 weeks!  I asked about a longer license and he said that we could come back before Sept. 30.  Once we are "in the system" we "might" be able to request an 8-month license.

Since my wife wanted to take classes this fall she needed a driver's license beyond Sept 30.  She couldn't register and pay tuition hoping that she "might" be able to drive to school after October 1.  He shrugged his shoulders.  He said if I didn't like it, I was welcome to get another ticket and ask someone else.

I did just that.  Three hours later, the MVA was closed and my wife, daughter, and I were the only people waiting.  We saw several people talking about us and wondering what we were doing.  A supervisor walked over and asked what we were waiting for and if we had a number.  Apparently, our number was never entered into the queue!  I explained the situation and she asked if we could come back tomorrow.  I said no.  We have waited 3 hours to be seen now.

That evening, we spoke to 3 additional supervisors before we got one who knew what to do.  We were there for an 1 1/2  hours after the MVA branch closed.  They re-scanned all her paperwork (SSN, I-797, marriage license, utility bills, etc).  However, they were unable to delete the "erroneous" 5-week license without the original supervisor who had already gone home or the help of headquarters staff.  We still had to return the following morning to complete the process.

The next morning, I got another number, waited about 15 minutes, and the supervisor we worked with the night before saw us and called us to an empty window.  An hour later, my wife had a new temporary paper license with an April 2019 expiration date.  The supervisor waived the fee for the 8-month license and it should arrive next week.  The 5-week license arrived in the mail today and is valid until the other arrives.  We can return with her EAD (December hopefully) for a 1-year extension that should get us to the green card and the 8-year duration license.

So . . . I can certainly understand why so many people are having trouble in Maryland.  Three supervisors insisted she was only eligible for a license valid until her I-94 expired.  If my wife had gone alone or if I had not been persistent, she would not have gotten the 8-month license.  We'd been to the MVA 8 times since July, so many of the staff recognized us and a couple were sympathetic and I think tried to help a little more than normal.  For most MVA employees, we were just a number, though.  Several were very abrupt and rude until the last supervisor explained that they were mistaken.  Only then were they kinder to us.

A very long and frustrating process!  You really are at their mercy regardless of whether you are right or wrong.  Just be persistent and know that there is at least one person in Annapolis who can help in this situation.

Jason

Edited by JasonGG

Maryland can be fussy with K1s that don't have an EAD yet. It's correct that if you show up with just a K1 and I94 (good for 90 days) any license they give out will just expire at the end of the 90 days. I've seen people been successful when they go in having filed for AOS and not received the EAD yet, but it varies. However if you start the process after you have an EAD, it's quite easy and all the hassle of the rude and largely ignorant employees can be avoided. If you go with an EAD, and pass the tests, you get a 1yr license, and then can upgrade it to full upon receiving the green card.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, JasonGG said:

I wanted to share my wife's experience getting a driver's license in Maryland while adjusting status from a K-1 visa.  Our experience is Maryland specific, so other states may have different rules.  From our experience and talking to others in Maryland, it is a difficult process in Maryland and not everyone will have the same outcome.  Just be persistent!

My wife has a Vietnamese license, so she skipped the learner's permit step.  Still had to take a 3-hour drug and alcohol course and exam.  After submitting paperwork, paying $120 for MVA-approved translation of her Vietnamese license, passing the written test, and then passing the driving skills test . . . a 2 week process . . . we met with a supervisor for photo and final review to print the license.  When he handed her the temporary paper license, it had an expiration date that was the same day as her I-94 in just 5 weeks!  I asked about a longer license and he said that we could come back before Sept. 30.  Once we are "in the system" we "might" be able to request an 8-month license.

Since my wife wanted to take classes this fall she needed a driver's license beyond Sept 30.  She couldn't register and pay tuition hoping that she "might" be able to drive to school after October 1.  He shrugged his shoulders.  He said if I didn't like it, I was welcome to get another ticket and ask someone else.

I did just that.  Three hours later, the MVA was closed and my wife, daughter, and I were the only people waiting.  We saw several people talking about us and wondering what we were doing.  A supervisor walked over and asked what we were waiting for and if we had a number.  Apparently, our number was never entered into the queue!  I explained the situation and she asked if we could come back tomorrow.  I said no.  We have waited 3 hours to be seen now.

That evening, we spoke to 3 additional supervisors before we got one who knew what to do.  We were there for an 1 1/2  hours after the MVA branch closed.  They re-scanned all her paperwork (SSN, I-797, marriage license, utility bills, etc).  However, they were unable to delete the "erroneous" 5-week license without the original supervisor who had already gone home or the help of headquarters staff.  We still had to return the following morning to complete the process.

The next morning, I got another number, waited about 15 minutes, and the supervisor we worked with the night before saw us and called us to an empty window.  An hour later, my wife had a new temporary paper license with an April 2019 expiration date.  The supervisor waived the fee for the 8-month license and it should arrive next week.  The 5-week license arrived in the mail today and is valid until the other arrives.  We can return with her EAD (December hopefully) for a 1-year extension that should get us to the green card and the 8-year duration license.

So . . . I can certainly understand why so many people are having trouble in Maryland.  Three supervisors insisted she was only eligible for a license valid until her I-94 expired.  If my wife had gone alone or if I had not been persistent, she would not have gotten the 8-month license.  We'd been to the MVA 8 times since July, so many of the staff recognized us and a couple were sympathetic and I think tried to help a little more than normal.  For most MVA employees, we were just a number, though.  Several were very abrupt and rude until the last supervisor explained that they were mistaken.  Only then were they kinder to us.

A very long and frustrating process!  You really are at their mercy regardless of whether you are right or wrong.  Just be persistent and know that there is at least one person in Annapolis who can help in this situation.

Jason

Congratulations!

I remember you on another forum asking about our Maryland DMV experience. I am happy you were persistent and it all worked out for your wife! Hope she enjoys her classes!

My husband got his 8 month temp license in Maryland, as well, without an EAD after he applied for AOS :)

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
8 hours ago, JasonGG said:

I wanted to share my wife's experience getting a driver's license in Maryland

Thank you for this comprehensive report, which will surely help others.

Your persistence and patience are admirable.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.