USA-Turk

Will a lawyer make this go faster?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi all,

I just discovered this website and forum today.

I am a 42 year old American chemist and my fiance is a 27 year old Turkish chemical engineer who went to grad school in the U.S. and Canada. We met through his music lyrics website in January. We are absolutely head-over-heels, madly in love. We have written over 550 long e-mails and have talked for hundreds of hours on the phone. I also correspond with his brother and sister, both Ph.D. students. I visited Sansal for 9 days last month, which is when we got engaged. We had planned to marry and settle in Istanbul after he completed his 5 month mandatory stint in the Turkish Navy in September.

I sold my house, started taking Turkish lessons, and was preparing to quit my job and move to Turkey. I went in for my annual mammogram two weeks ago, and they discovered I had breast cancer. :wacko: So now I can't quit my job or I'll lose my insurance. I go for surgery next week and will then begin 5-6 months of chemo and radiation. But we're still as keen as ever to get married, bald or not!

We have two options. Sansal said I can come to Turkey and we can get married right now. Then I can apply for a K-3 visa. Or we can apply for a K-1 visa and get married here in the U.S. as soon as he gets out of the Navy (late Sept.)

In my mispent youth (1990), I applied for a K-1 for my Costa Rican "surfer dude" boyfriend. Just 5 WEEKS later, he was in the U.S. He hated the U.S. and went back to C.R. after six weeks.

I had assumed that the K-1 visa for Sansal would go through in 5 weeks, and had actually been afraid of applying too EARLY! However, some Internet searching showed that it now takes around 7 MONTHS!

In addition, a friend of a friend who works in the INS heard our story and said we will be declined for sure. We have several factors against us:

1) My fiance is a Muslim AND a chemical engineer.

2) I am a chemist.

3) I have already successfully obtained a K-1 visa in the past.

4) I am 15 years older than my fiance.

Apparently #1-2 make us looks like potential terrorists, and #3-4 make me look like a "green card bride."

So I thought I might need the big guns that could be provided by an attorney. I clicked on one of the "Fiance Visa Lawyer" ads that pepper this website and have e-mailed them. I was wondering if anybody else on this forum has engaged a lawyer. Is it worth the money for something that I could technically do on my own for free? Does having a lawyer make things go faster? Is there any way to cut down the wait from 7 months to 3-4 months? Anybody have a lawyer they'd like to recommend?

Also, is there any easier way to do this? Would it be faster/easier for us to get married in Turkey and apply for a K-3? Can he come on a tourist visa and we get married and he can stay here that way? That is how it would work if I went to Turkey. I could just go as a tourist, get married, and could apply for permanent residency the very next day. However, I can no longer do this because of the stupid CANCER!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice,

Sharon in Missouri

1/8/07 - I meet Sansal, an engineer, through his lyric translation website.

3/23/07 - After 430 e-mails, we meet in Istanbul for 9 days.

4/12/07 - Sansal enters the Turkish Navy for his 5 mos. mandatory military service and I prepare to move to Istanbul for a year when he gets out.

4/19/07 - Annual mammogram reveals breast cancer. Begin surgery and chemo.

4/27/07 - Sansal proposes.

5/9/07 - We decide to apply for a K-1 and hire attorney John Roth in NY.

7/26/07 - I-129F filed at California Service Center.

7/27/07 - We begin working on our waiver for Sansal not meeting the "2 year rule" for an earlier J-1 visa.

9/17/07 - Sansal gets out of the Navy.

9/28/07 - I depart for my next trip to Istanbul!

629895001185654851.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope. Lawyers do NOT make this process faster. If that were the case we'd all have used lawyers and the backlog would probably be horrendous.

There are many with age differences. What's important to the AO is to make sure you prove beyond doubt that your relationship is genuine. You might want to pop into the Regional Forum where there is a MENA sub forum for fiancés in Muslim countries.

Whatever you decide to do, welcome to VJ! :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

NO :no: I read often where a lawyer in fact slows the process down due to sitting on paperwork.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
In addition, a friend of a friend who works in the INS heard our story and said we will be declined for sure.

Your friend has misled you somewhat. Your petition will not be denied. Your visa may take a long time for approval because you may find yourselves in administrative processing - this is common in Turkey. Check out the Middle East forum and you'll get some good input. You may have some red flags with age differences and having applied in the past, but it most definitely does not mean you will be declined for sure. It just means you will need to have solid proof of the validity of your relationship and that it may be a long, slow process.

It wouldn't hurt to consult with a lawyer but no, no lawyer has the ability to influence the process in any way or make it move any faster.

If he comes on a tourist visa with intent to marry, his adjustment of status in the US could very well be denied as this is not legal.

If he can come on a tourist visa, you can marry here, he can return home and you can being the K3 petition process.

Good luck with your surgery and health and the whole process.

I would think that getting married in Turkey and then applying for the K3 would improve your case. IMHO of course

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I agree with the previous posters, a lawyer can be useful in some cases but that does not guarantee that things will go faster.

About getting married with a tourist visa, you'd be taking the chance of not being able to adjust his status later. You'd have to convince the USCIS that you had no intention to get married when he entered the country and that you decided to do it later! IMO that's very hard to prove. I have a friend who did it this way and was able to adjust her status, but personally I wouldn't take that chance.

Maybe getting married in Turkey and then applying for K-3 would be your best option, as you could be with your fiance right away and wait for the approval together. Applying for a K-1 wont be like the last time you applied in 1991, now it takes a lot more than 5 weeks! :(

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

For some reason, they look differently at cases where the female is older than the male. I'm not saying you will get denied, just that your case might need some additional proof of validity. You mentioned you met online in January... of 2007? This may be something they will look at to evaluate your relationship before issuing a K1. Based on what I've seen on VJ, 4 months is a tad bit short. But love is love, and more power to you.

I don't think the chemical engineer thing will be that big of a problem, shows you both have similar fields/interests, not necessarily terrorist plots.

About your previous K1, this should not have any effect. It was a long time ago, no fraud involved. If you did it just recently in the last 2 yrs, you'd need a waiver & some explaining

Good luck on your healing process :)

Edited by Nanusia & Lukaszek
12140.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Lawyers don't make it go faster. They can make it go slower. You can make it go slower.

Lawyers don't have a magic red phone or a magic crystal ball that gives them special powers over this sort of visa process. With some careful reading and studying up on available information, you can do this just fine.

Depending on the severity of your medical condition, it may or may not help speed things along. It might not be of much help at this stage (though it may be worht contacting your member of congress to find out), but once you get to the Embassy stage, you could always include a letter asking for the soonest possible interview date, if your medical condition worsens, etc.

Take a few days to really research and read up on your options.

Best of luck!

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

We decided to use a qualified attorney because we believe it will help the process go faster. No, not because he has an inside phone number or special processing queue. But a good experienced attorney can help you prevent unnecessary delays. This process is very unforgiving and small mistakes can cost you weeks, months or worse. Like all other paid professionals, there are good and bad in the field. You should choose carefully. Even with an attorney, you can still have problems.

Many people file successfully on their own without the help of paid professionals. This site is wonderful, and chock full of good information. It is a great tool and I am very grateful for it. But most of us are going through this process for the very first time and as individuals have no experience outside of our own cases.

If money is an issue, you can probably gain enough knowledge to pull this off without paying a professional. It seems most people using this site do just that. In our case, we felt the attorney was very affordable for the most important decision of our lives.

Good luck on your journey!!!!

Our K-1 Timeline

2/15/07--Completed gathering documents, completed I-129F

2/26/07--I-129F arrives at CSC

2/27/07-- NOA1

2/28/07-- Check cashed

3/1/07-- Touched

3/7/07--Cleared check shows in my account

3/7/07--NOA1 hard copy

5/17/07--Touched (PLEASE NO RFE)

5/18/07--Touched again

5/21/07--NOA2

5/31/07--Arrives at NVC

6/4/07--Left NVC, on da way to da embassy!!!

6/8/07--Arrives at consulate

6/8/07--Picked up packet 3 during consulate visit! (just lucky we visited same day as they received from NVC)

6/12/07--Medical exam

6/19/07--Interview

6/20/07--VISA

7/21/07--US entry through Atlanta!!!

8/12/07--MARRIED

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : West Palm Beach FL

Date Filed : 2007-08-29

NOA Date : 2007-10-04

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2007-10-31

AOS Transfer** : 2007-12-17

TOUCHED : 2008-02-08

TOUCHED : 2008-02-10

TOUCHED : 2008-02-27

Welcome To US Sent date: 2008-02-27

Employment Authorization Document

Event Date

CIS Office : West Palm Beach FL

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2007-08-29

NOA Date : 2007-10-10

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2007-10-31

Approved Date : 2007-12-12

Date Card Received : 2007-12-21

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your EAD was approved in 105 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

best of luck with your health

i hope the very very very best for you, with your health and your love.

you can definitely find the info. you need on this site. Although your case does sound a bit more complicated

But i am sure that if you look on here and ask questions

you will get all your answers without having to use a lawyer

Timeline

Hi everybody,

Thanks so much for all of your great replies! That was very fast, too!

My fiance just phoned from the Navy a few minutes ago and asked if I would like to go get married there in a couple of weeks so we could then do a K-3 visa. I don't know if it will be more stressful waiting for my FIANCE to get his visa or for my HUSBAND to get his visa... :-) I am still in shock at the 7 month waiting time...

Thanks again,

Sharon

1/8/07 - I meet Sansal, an engineer, through his lyric translation website.

3/23/07 - After 430 e-mails, we meet in Istanbul for 9 days.

4/12/07 - Sansal enters the Turkish Navy for his 5 mos. mandatory military service and I prepare to move to Istanbul for a year when he gets out.

4/19/07 - Annual mammogram reveals breast cancer. Begin surgery and chemo.

4/27/07 - Sansal proposes.

5/9/07 - We decide to apply for a K-1 and hire attorney John Roth in NY.

7/26/07 - I-129F filed at California Service Center.

7/27/07 - We begin working on our waiver for Sansal not meeting the "2 year rule" for an earlier J-1 visa.

9/17/07 - Sansal gets out of the Navy.

9/28/07 - I depart for my next trip to Istanbul!

629895001185654851.gif

Timeline

I don't think you need to secure a lawyer. I am currently in th K-1 visa process with a Turkish man, and have used this forum to learn so much. Actually, I hear horror stories about lawyers.

If you are ready to move-, and not employed- I say go for the K-3 from Turkey.

The age difference might raise some brow's- but given your career connection, and incredible evidence of continuing relation- it should be fine.

I too worry about the stereotype- of "single muslim male".. especially since the recent arrest of a Turk associated with Al Quaeda in Phila/NJ. But, bottom line. if you have a bona fide relationship with your guy- all should be well.

If you are tied to the USA-go the K-1 route.

We are waiting for our interview date now....

Good Luck!

Christine

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My answer to that question is NO NO NO! If you are up for a long read, you can review one of my previous posts and the hell I went through with a lawyer.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry690764

I see you are from Missouri and so am I. If you do decide to use a lawyer and are in the KC area, please email me so I can tell you what lawyer NOT to use!

Good luck,

Kym

Aug. 2001 - met online playing trivia

May 2006 - engaged

06-12-06 - Met with lawyer, filed for a K-1 visa

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

01-29-07 - Found out from USCIS that my lawyer had filed at the wrong service center and nothing has been processed.

02-08-07 - Found out that our petition had been closed back in Oct. 2006. No one was ever notified of this from USCIS

02-09-07 - Began gathering paperwork once again to start all over. Started cancelling our wedding plans

02-20-07 - Filed for a K-1 visa once again

02-27-07 - NOA1

04-21-07 - Originally planned wedding date (had to cancel) :(

05-22-07 - Touched

06-01-07 - Granted a Congressional Inquiry!

06-15-07 - NVC received our approved I-129F petition (I never received an NOA2 via email or snail mail). We are just so HAPPY to finally move on!

06-25-07 - Packet 3 received (but it was rec'd by our lawyer, she has forwarded it on to my fiance in Australia)

06-28-07 - Fiance rec'd Packet 3

06-30-07 - Finally rec'd NOA2 via snail mail. It is dated June 25, same day as Packet 3 was rec'd.

07-05-07 - Mailed back form letter DSL-1076 (Applicant's Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed).

07-05-07 - Just waiting now in hopes of an interview date before APEC

07-13-07 - Received Packet 4

07-30-07 - Interview!!!! - APPROVED!

09-01-07 - Fiance arrives in the USA!

10-06-07 - Getting Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
My answer to that question is NO NO NO! If you are up for a long read, you can review one of my previous posts and the hell I went through with a lawyer.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry690764

I see you are from Missouri and so am I. If you do decide to use a lawyer and are in the KC area, please email me so I can tell you what lawyer NOT to use!

Good luck,

Kym

Kym, what's your update? Were you able to confirm the location of your petition and has it been approved? What happened with the scumbag lawyers?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.