ccece

affidavit of support if teh petitioner U. S citizen live abroad

37 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, ccece said:

ok, but i need to show that in the consular interview or send it to NVC attached to the affidavit of support??

And if i pay taxes in the country im living now, i should declare it anyway? thanks

It would go to NVC first since they do an initial review of the I-864 packet.

Yes. USCs and LPRs are taxed on worldwide income. Your tax liability will probably end up being $0 unless you make in excess of ~$100k/year, but taxes still need to be filed so long as you make a minimum threshold to file (which applies equally to those living in the US or abroad).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The affidavit itself asks for information from three tax returns.  You are only required to supply the most recent one but you still need information from 3.  Note that unless the petitioner's income will continue from the same source once in the US, you'll likely need a qualified joint sponsor as well.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline
25 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The affidavit itself asks for information from three tax returns.  You are only required to supply the most recent one but you still need information from 3.  Note that unless the petitioner's income will continue from the same source once in the US, you'll likely need a qualified joint sponsor as well.

Ok, thanks for the info... Do you know then if it matters( in regards the approval of affidavit of support) how much the income that i get outside U.S, beside the joint sponsor income, is going to be difference if i make 50,000k or if i make 10,000k Gross income outside of the U.S?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, ccece said:

Ok, thanks for the info... Do you know then if it matters( in regards the approval of affidavit of support) how much the income that i get outside U.S, beside the joint sponsor income, is going to be difference if i make 50,000k or if i make 10,000k Gross income outside of the U.S?

Only income from the source once you are back in the US gets counted as current income.  The joint sponsor must fully qualify on their own.  They cannot combine income with you.  Your income is likely Zero anyway, in this context.  UNLESS you are staying with the same employer and transferring to the US.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Only income from the source once you are back in the US gets counted as current income.  The joint sponsor must fully qualify on their own.  They cannot combine income with you.  Your income is likely Zero anyway, in this context.  UNLESS you are staying with the same employer and transferring to the US.

Thank you so much pushbrk!!

Will your current job continue when you get back to the US?   Did you claim an foreign income tax exemption when you filed your taxes. ?  If so, in the eys of US Gov. your income will be considered "0"and you will need a joint sponsor.  That was my situation.  

Timeline
12 minutes ago, vibgyor1111 said:

Will your current job continue when you get back to the US?   Did you claim an foreign income tax exemption when you filed your taxes. ?  If so, in the eys of US Gov. your income will be considered "0"and you will need a joint sponsor.  That was my situation.  

Yes i will claim a foreign income tax exemption, because i didnt knew about need to fill taxes outside U.S so now ill do it, the last 3 years.

So when i fill the affidavit of support i should put zero in the anual  income box?

1 hour ago, ccece said:

Yes i will claim a foreign income tax exemption, because i didnt knew about need to fill taxes outside U.S so now ill do it, the last 3 years.

So when i fill the affidavit of support i should put zero in the anual  income box?

Most likely.    In my situation i had two years that claimed $0 and one year that claimed $11 based on some weird taxable interest.  Regardless, it's line 22 on the 1040 Tax form if that is the one you use to file, or it's stated in the tax transcripts.  The transcripts take a few weeks/months to be available after you file.

On the AOS, a few places will ask about income.  Current income( mine will not continue upon arrival in the US), taxable income etc.  Mine were all zero except the one I mentioned above.  Download the instructions and ask specific questions here when you start filling it in.  The instructions aren't always clear, regardless of what some people may tell you.

Timeline
5 hours ago, ccece said:

You put the number from line 22 of the 1040.  If you've been earning under 100K a year, that number will probably be zero.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello everybody, im a U.s citizen ,we sent two I-130 petitions, one for my wife and another for my stepson , he is 14 year old.

My question is if i should fill two I-864, or just one and include both beneficiaries??

I should pay two fees  affidavit of support  r just one?

Thank you again.

Two affidavits of support but only one AOS fee. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

No, just one fee even if you have a joint sponsor. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.