shoe

How many languages do you speak?

73 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I speak German and English fluently. I'd been wanting to learn German since 2nd grade and finally managed fluency after being a foreign exchange student there. My folks always expected me to bring home a German, but I decided to fool them by bringing home a Finn instead ;)

Got to add Finnish to my repertoire next.

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak German and English fluently. I'd been wanting to learn German since 2nd grade and finally managed fluency after being a foreign exchange student there. My folks always expected me to bring home a German, but I decided to fool them by bringing home a Finn instead ;)

:) If its anything like my 'mother tongue' (and it should be since the two along with Estonian make up their own branch of the language tree ;)) I hear its quite difficult to learn...something about this language family seems to make them especially difficult to master. When I hear it spoken I always think I'm hearing my own language, but if I pay closer attention I realize it only 'sounds' very similar....I can't understand a single word. :blink:

I don't think its the same w/ someone who speaks Spanish for example....they can probably understand more than a few words in Italian (same language family).

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I speak, read, and write English fluently. Have lived in Germany past 3 years, in an American community, but have managed to pick up a splattering of German. I can read more of it than speak it though. Can order meals in german, and ask for the check, the basic courtesies, and numbers, and can go into a German grocery store, and pretty much know what the names of things are, when the prices are not directly above the product. That helps a lot too, when trying to read menus. High school German, came back to me slowly once I was here, I think that helped a little, and made the transition here a lot easier.

French, I have a very slight understanding of, enough to get by when I visited Paris last year. Thanks to high school French.

Can speak Australian slang, Read, write and understand Ebonics :P (thanks baby!), and even have great understanding of the new language of TEXT(sms) speak, that kids like to use these days. My kids think they are writing in a language i dont understand when they get online with their friends after school,..little do they know I understand everything they are saying,....lol

Have just started to self teach myself Spanish, through books, and dvds, and cd's.

Jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

When I say I am fluent in English, I mean that I read perfectly, write perfectly (well, everyone is entitled to mistakes, even native English speakers), understand perfectly (unless in some very weird accent) and speak decently (as in I'm not native in the language and my accent will sound funny and some will say I pronounce some words wrong, still, I know the words and can convey what I want to speak). That to me is being fluent in a language.

Fluent isn't the same thing as perfect. I think your standards for 'fluency' are too high.

Then this is confusing me. If fluently is too much for your native language, for example, what would be the definition of speaking it? To me it has always been fluently as well.

And by perfect I mean perfect for a non-English speaker.

When I did Spanish in college, you passed if a native speaker would understand either what you had written or spoken even though it may not be grammatically correct. I imagine the definition of fluency of a language being the same.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Two fluently, English and Mampruli (language spoken in Northern Ghana where my family is from). When I was younger my parents spoke both at home and mixed them up so that is how I learned them.

Unfortunately, I also spoke them as my parents did, ie, mixing my languages so when I was sent to day care they would not understand what I would say. One day I wanted water and the simple request of "I want water" became "I want kom (water in Mampruli)". When my mom came to pick me up I was crying :crying: and when she finally got around to what was wrong she realized that I was mixing my languages and from that day on my parents only spoke English to my sisters and I until we were old enough to distinguish when it was OK to mix languages and when not :yes: .

I also kinda sorta speak Arabic. I am ashamed to say that after spending 14 years of my life in Saudi Arabia my Arabic is deplorable. I can read and write it better than I can speak it. I also took Arabic in college and I got it all back after the first semester but since then...zilch :no: .

Shame on me :blush:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
If its anything like my 'mother tongue' (and it should be since the two along with Estonian make up their own branch of the language tree

It has a lot of the same grammatical structures, like a zillion cases, postpositions, and only one word for he/she. But other than that a lot of the vocabulary is different from Hungarian and there are only some words that make you go "hey, that sounds familiar!" (learned this from a finnish girl I knew who spent a lot of time in Hungary and learned their language too).

But other than that, it's not too bad. It has enough words that it stole from Swedish that are similar to German that the vocabulary isn't too hard to pick up and it's quite pretty. The hard part is the grammar, which unfortunately important :(

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

hi ........ i am fluent in ENGLISH,HINDI and My Mother tongue MALAYALAM.

riz

IR5- Mother CIS (mom currently residing in UAE)

Jan 10, 2011 NOA 1 receipt

***********GOT RFE since my birth certificate was made after 29 years.********

June 29, 2011 NOA 2

NVC-

NVC Case Number and IIN Received, E-mails Exchanged : 08-03-2011

DS-3032 E-mail sent by Beneficiary: 08-03-2011

DS 3032 approved 08/10/11

IV & AOS bill payed 08/12/11

NVC receivd AOS & IV package 09/12/11

AOS approved 09/22/11

GOT RFE .... 09/28/2011

now NVC wants to see my original marriage certificate and birth certificate.

Case Complete 10/11/2011 (NO interview in November or Dec@ ABU DHABI consulate )

VISA granted...... 1/24/2012 thank you JESUS

none

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline
When I did Spanish in college, you passed if a native speaker would understand either what you had written or spoken even though it may not be grammatically correct. I imagine the definition of fluency of a language being the same.

Yep. You don't have to speak error-free Spanish in order to speak it fluently, but if you can communicate pretty easily in a language, it's safe to say that you speak it fluently. Native fluency is something entirely different; few people can ever acquire a language to native fluency simply by sitting in a classroom, or by even living in a country for several years. It's the holy grail of language acquisition. :thumbs:

Guess that B.A. in French/Applied Linguistics does come in handy sometimes. :luv:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

english and cantonese fluently, and conversational spanish. (now trying to learn more thai so i can speak to my future in laws and my fiance)

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

That's where my hubby succeeded ;) - he schlepped me home after a year in Munich :)

I think I should probably take some Spanish classes since I understand most written Spanish anyway (French, Italian) and it seems to make sense to be able to speak it in the US.

Wow Finnish/Hungarion language group, friend of mine studies Finnish, it's really hard with a ton of grammatical cases!!!

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

2 ... Spanish and English (native English speaker)

We speak a lot of Spanish with my mother in law (she doesn't speak English) so yeah...I use it on a daily basis.

:dance:

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline: