2,949 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ziongirl said:

In my case I was not able to afford psychologist, so I had sessions with ywca, in my area, I was given two councillors, one for domestic abuse and one for sexual abuse, I have been with them for the whole of one and a half years,

Iwillsurve do councillors report ok or I must get psychological report?

This is not something i can afford either. Id like to know if reports from ywca will be acceptable for vawa cases.

13 minutes ago, Anna2018 said:

Therapy sessions for 1 hour are between 75-200$. That on top of lawyer fees plus other fees is turning out to be quiet expensive for someone who does not even have permission to work in the USA.  Is there other solutions when it comes to therapy. Is it mandatory?

Look for non-profit domestic violence organizations. They exist in every state. They have licensed counselors that are specialized in dealing with DV victims and don’t charge. 

Or look into graduate programs. Many students who get their Masters in psychology have a clinical program at their school to gain real life experience. Sessions are typically very cheap if not free there. 

1 minute ago, iwillsurvive said:

Look for non-profit domestic violence organizations. They exist in every state. They have licensed counselors that are specialized in dealing with DV victims and don’t charge. 

Or look into graduate programs. Many students who get their Masters in psychology have a clinical program at their school to gain real life experience. Sessions are typically very cheap if not free there. 

Thank you iwillsurvive! i will look into those.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
4 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

So the ywca is ok right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
4 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

I don’t know what YWCA is unfortunately

It's an organization that help the domestic /sexual victims, in Massachusetts, it provides temporary home and thereby sessions 

8 minutes ago, Ziongirl said:

It's an organization that help the domestic /sexual victims, in Massachusetts, it provides temporary home and thereby sessions 

If they are experienced with counseling DV/trauma victims, then it sounds like they will be able to do a good job. If you don’t have an attorney, you can always send the evaluation to sandra and have her check it for you. 

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
5 hours ago, Ziongirl said:

In my case I was not able to afford psychologist, so I had sessions with ywca, in my area, I was given two councillors, one for domestic abuse and one for sexual abuse, I have been with them for the whole of one and a half years,

Iwillsurve do councillors report ok or I must get psychological report?

I went to a sliding scale clinic and did a letter that I had no income. Its a clinic that provides medical services for people with low or no income. They were able to make me an appointment for a psychiatrist at no cost to me. 

Try finding a place that provide direct services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, like a shelter or what not, they sometimes offer counseling. 

6 hours ago, Anna2018 said:

Therapy sessions for 1 hour are between 75-200$. That on top of lawyer fees plus other fees is turning out to be quiet expensive for someone who does not even have permission to work in the USA.  Is there other solutions when it comes to therapy. Is it mandatory?

You should go to therapy. I found a sliding scale therapist. I was still covered by army medical but once that ran out she didn't charge me much. You'll just have to call/email. I'm reaching 16 months in two days, have a lawyer, no prima facie and not heard a damn thing but last time they touched my case was May 23 2018. God knows what they did though. My case was flagged because of my ex husband and the things he did so I'm not even sure if they are updating my online account anymore. At one point they deleted everything.  I should have already had my green card before divorce so God knows what's going on. I just keep applying for work permits and drift along. It'll be a long wait so try to block it all out once filed. 

23 minutes ago, MJM2001 said:

You should go to therapy. I found a sliding scale therapist. I was still covered by army medical but once that ran out she didn't charge me much. You'll just have to call/email. I'm reaching 16 months in two days, have a lawyer, no prima facie and not heard a damn thing but last time they touched my case was May 23 2018. God knows what they did though. My case was flagged because of my ex husband and the things he did so I'm not even sure if they are updating my online account anymore. At one point they deleted everything.  I should have already had my green card before divorce so God knows what's going on. I just keep applying for work permits and drift along. It'll be a long wait so try to block it all out once filed. 

Thank you for your advice, i will check them out. surely they will give me a better price then what i have seen so far. Good luck with your case, i hope it all turns out well for you.

1 hour ago, MJM2001 said:

I just looked into sliding scale therapist. It seems that they do not do face to face counseling. Its all over the phone and live chat. Will they even be able to give me an evaluation after i have a few sessions with them?

1 hour ago, Anna2018 said:

Thank you for your advice, i will check them out. surely they will give me a better price then what i have seen so far. Good luck with your case, i hope it all turns out well for you.

You are welcome. You will find someone cheap or free. I have a free lawyer but paid a little towards therapy. Thanks. I'll let you all know once I find out. Just do what you have to do and try to move on and forget

45 minutes ago, Anna2018 said:

I just looked into sliding scale therapist. It seems that they do not do face to face counseling. Its all over the phone and live chat. Will they even be able to give me an evaluation after i have a few sessions with them?

Go to a human being. Call different therapists and ask them. That's what I did even though I had coverage. There are people willing to help for less money. Don't do online. Call localish ones

1 hour ago, Anna2018 said:

Just spend all day tomorrow finding therapists and call them all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.