2,949 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

You don’t have to be but they obviously want to see that you are making moves to get away from your abuser, so it is advised to have at least filed for divorce and be able to prove that. USCIS knows that the divorce process can be complicated and long, so if it is not finalized, that’s okay but I would highly suggest to prove to them that you no longer involved with your abuser. 

Also from a personal point of view, I think you should get a divorce as soon as possible so that your abuser has no legal ties to you and so that if your abuser gets into debt on purpose, you don’t have to pay for it. 

Thank you so @iwillsurvive, it is more clearer to me now from your explanation and advise, Thank you. 

38 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

You don’t have to be but they obviously want to see that you are making moves to get away from your abuser, so it is advised to have at least filed for divorce and be able to prove that. USCIS knows that the divorce process can be complicated and long, so if it is not finalized, that’s okay but I would highly suggest to prove to them that you no longer involved with your abuser. 

Also from a personal point of view, I think you should get a divorce as soon as possible so that your abuser has no legal ties to you and so that if your abuser gets into debt on purpose, you don’t have to pay for it. 

Thanks for your advice. I need to fill devoice application. Pls help me to do it myself. I have no child, no property together. We have saparated after he withdrew I-130 petition over 2 years.

I appriciate your help very much. 

3 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

You don’t have to be married to file I-765 under category C9. Not sure where you got this information from but it is incorrect. The only condition for C9 is that you have a valid pending I-485. 

There is no interview for I-360. You will hear from USCIS about I-360 after around 16.5 months after your I-360 receipt date. You will either get an approval letter or a request for further evidence if they still have questions. After your VAWA is approved, your I-485 will go to your local office. Every local office has different processing times. Most take anywhere between 6-12 months. You can look this up on the USCIS website. You will receive an interview notice for I-485 from your local office. Then you have the interview and get your Green Card. 

Is it true that if you have pending i130, you can move the priority date over to i360 petition you file. Once you receive the receipt.

2 hours ago, Hanna Bui said:

Thanks for your advice. I need to fill devoice application. Pls help me to do it myself. I have no child, no property together. We have saparated after he withdrew I-130 petition over 2 years.

I appriciate your help very much. 

Divorce law varies by state. From my experience, every superior court has a self help center that will provide you with the right documents to fill out and they may even have legal assistants there that will not give you legal advice but check that you filled everything in correctly. I suggest you check with your closest superior court. 

6 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

Divorce law varies by state. From my experience, every superior court has a self help center that will provide you with the right documents to fill out and they may even have legal assistants there that will not give you legal advice but check that you filled everything in correctly. I suggest you check with your closest superior court. 

Thanks again. I will do it following your instruction above. 

Filed: Other Timeline
19 minutes ago, 4boys said:

I have a question I just applied for Vawa 4months ago ... almost after 2 years I decided to apply for Vawa but I’m know going back to my husband ... the question is will this affect me ? And also he wants to petition me on immigration i don’t know what to do ??? Please help 

Please come clear on your question. What do you mean by applied for vawa and going back to your husband?

I have been following this forum for awhile. I must say it's a very educative platform.Thanks to @sandraj and all VJ mem. My question might sound weird or absurd, but pls I want to be enlightened. I have been separated from my husband for 1year due to DV and he has undergone anger management classes court ordered and he seem to have realised his mistakes, he wants me back and I want to give him a second chance..Will going back to an abuser affects i485 interview? What happens if I don't get a divorce before i485 interview?

3 hours ago, Fatejourney17 said:

I have been following this forum for awhile. I must say it's a very educative platform.Thanks to @sandraj and all VJ mem. My question might sound weird or absurd, but pls I want to be enlightened. I have been separated from my husband for 1year due to DV and he has undergone anger management classes court ordered and he seem to have realised his mistakes, he wants me back and I want to give him a second chance..Will going back to an abuser affects i485 interview? What happens if I don't get a divorce before i485 interview?

If he wants to petition for you then you can simply withdraw your i-360, Vawa to the best of my knowledge  is meant for people who are intending to live thier abusers and not for the ones making peace. And I hope he doesn't abuse you again when you go back you have to be sure and make a wise decision for your safety 

Edited by Ilo

9 hours ago, 4boys said:

I have a question I just applied for Vawa 4months ago ... almost after 2 years I decided to apply for Vawa but I’m know going back to my husband ... the question is will this affect me ? And also he wants to petition me on immigration i don’t know what to do ??? Please help 

You can choose to go back to him, have him file for you and withdraw  your i-360, from my understanding VAWA is for those intending to live their abusers sooner or later

18 hours ago, Tortmaster said:

Congratulations!!!! God is wonderful!

My interview is tomorrow. I pray for favor.

Enjoy your new life, the wait is over!

All the best! 🙏

Filed: Other Timeline
7 hours ago, escape said:

Hi @aquila, any word on your I-360? You are a Feb filer, right?

Nothing heard my NOA receipt date was Feb 21 whiles on the website it says March 2. Still hanging in here with more hope. 👍

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 minutes ago, aquila said:

Nothing heard my NOA receipt date was Feb 21 whiles on the website it says March 2. Still hanging in here with more hope. 👍

I’m Jan 23 .. 2017. Nothing at all. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.