2,949 posts in this topic

Please  I need in starting my VAWA case, my wife is a USC , but my Lawyer want me to file i360 first and wait till approver before doing the i765 and i485, I guess he's doing that because of his retainer,  but I told to do something for my best interest.  PLEASE VJ can I file the 3 forms together and my EAD can fall under c9 instead of c31 and I can have pending i485. I just need to work. Please advice. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Asherolu said:

Please  I need in starting my VAWA case, my wife is a USC , but my Lawyer want me to file i360 first and wait till approver before doing the i765 and i485, I guess he's doing that because of his retainer,  but I told to do something for my best interest.  PLEASE VJ can I file the 3 forms together and my EAD can fall under c9 instead of c31 and I can have pending i485. I just need to work. Please advice. Thanks

Yes you can file all forms together. You don’t need to wait for I-360 to be approved to file I-485. Just know that if you filed both and your I-360 gets denied, you will be put in removal proceedings. 

I suggest you find a new attorney if your current attorney gives you bad advice. 

Filed: Timeline

@Asherolu

Your attny should be able to explain to you the reason why they want to hold off on the 485. Some attnys are overly cautious but perhaps they do not believe you have a strong case and do not want you to end up in removal proceedings. Because you think your attny is putting financial gain over whats best for you- you should find a new attny.

21 hours ago, Dejoy said:

Hi iwillsurvive I need help about my divorce pls any advice will help Thanks 

Divorce laws differ from state to state. If you have an easy case (no children or property together), you can easily do it on your own. It’s just a lot of paperwork but nothing unmanageable. 

If you have children or property that needs to be divided, I suggest you hire an attorney. Many domestic violence agencies work with pro bono attorneys that will help you file for divorce for free. 

On 9/14/2018 at 11:49 AM, Sanchi said:

He claims he did. I will reach out to them.  Is it the 1800-375-5283 number? And do I ask to talk to any officer or just anyone should be able to help me find the status? Thank you again! 

As a VAWA filer, you are not able to get information over the phone for safety reasons. In order to get information you can either write a letter to the VAWA Unit at VSC or make an InfoPass appointment at your local office. 

https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

Hello everyone. 

I haven't posted in a while. I recieves my interview date for September 28th. This process has taught me how to be patient. 😓 I am so happy, but a bit nervous. Can someone who has already been to their interview tell me what you brought along with you? I got a check list but there is not a topic for  Vawa. Apart from the topic which states ‘DOCUMENTS REQUIRES FOR ALL INTERVIEWS’ is there any thing else that I need to take with me.

thanks for your response. 

14 minutes ago, #Godgotthis said:

Hello everyone. 

I haven't posted in a while. I recieves my interview date for September 28th. This process has taught me how to be patient. 😓 I am so happy, but a bit nervous. Can someone who has already been to their interview tell me what you brought along with you? I got a check list but there is not a topic for  Vawa. Apart from the topic which states ‘DOCUMENTS REQUIRES FOR ALL INTERVIEWS’ is there any thing else that I need to take with me.

They are not allowed to ask you about the abuse during the interview. They will just verify your personal information and ask you the yes/no questions from form I-485. Bring your divorce certificate and medical if not previously submitted. Make sure the date of your medical is not older than 9/28/17 (one year), otherwise you will need to do a new one before the interview. 

12 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

They are not allowed to ask you about the abuse during the interview. They will just verify your personal information and ask you the yes/no questions from form I-485. Bring your divorce certificate and medical if not previously submitted. Make sure the date of your medical is not older than 9/28/17 (one year), otherwise you will need to do a new one before the interview. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, iwillsurvive said:

As a VAWA filer, you are not able to get information over the phone for safety reasons. In order to get information you can either write a letter to the VAWA Unit at VSC or make an InfoPass appointment at your local office. 

https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

thanks a lot. I will do that

4 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

Yes you can file all forms together. You don’t need to wait for I-360 to be approved to file I-485. Just know that if you filed both and your I-360 gets denied, you will be put in removal proceedings. 

I suggest you find a new attorney if your current attorney gives you bad advice. 

Thanks @iwillsurvive

5 hours ago, Damara said:

@Asherolu

Your attny should be able to explain to you the reason why they want to hold off on the 485. Some attnys are overly cautious but perhaps they do not believe you have a strong case and do not want you to end up in removal proceedings. Because you think your attny is putting financial gain over whats best for you- you should find a new attny.

@Damara the only reason my lawyer gave was that since she has never file any i130 for me, he said I can't do the combo package that carries the 3 forms

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, Asherolu said:

@Damara the only reason my lawyer gave was that since she has never file any i130 for me, he said I can't do the combo package that carries the 3 forms

That does not make any sense. Where did you find this lawyer? Are they a VAWA attny? Technically any attny can help you but you are better served using one that considers themselves to be a "VAWA attny". The attny can quote you separate prices for various parts of the immigration process or one charge that covers everything. Did you sign a retainer saying they would file the 360 for you only? Regardless- your attny can file the 3 forms at the same time OR if the 360 is already sent they can send in the 485 packet at any time. Its just a matter of coming to an agreement on payment and signing the proper contract.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
Just now, FocusedFemale said:

Guys, 

My Interview was on Tuesday (9/11), and my card came today (9/15)! 😱 Glory Be To God! 

I will keep all who are waiting in my prayers. 

Lucky you. I can’t wait for my day no more. It’s been almost two years. Keep me in your prayers guys

4 hours ago, #Godgotthis said:

Hello everyone. 

If you’re medical was done over a year ago, do one. Take your passport, social security number, the interview letter, I-94. Take along as much of the evidence you submitted with your vawa application, as you can never know what they’ll ask. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.