848 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
14 minutes ago, blenheim said:

Anyone know if one can continue to work with an expired EAD if a replacement is pending? EAD expires within the next few months, but no replacement yet. Wonder what happens if there’s a long term delay. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/42-automatic-extensions-employment-authorization-documents-eads-certain-circumstances

Answered my own question haha! Glad automatic extension is still active. 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F Sent: 08/15/2017

NOA1: 08/18/2017

NOA2: 02/20/2018 (186 days)

NOA2 Hardcopy Sent: 02/24/2018

USCIS sent to NVC: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/07/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/16/2018

Embassy Received: 03/19/2018

Medical Exam: 03/21/2018

Interview at Stockholm Embassy: 04/12/2018 -- Approved!!

Visa Issued: 04/16/2018

Visa Received: 04/25/2018

POE: 04/27/2018

Married: 05/1/2018

AOS + AP + EAD:
Package Sent: 05/08/2018

NOA1: 05/15/2018

Biometrics: 06/4/2018

EAD/AP Card Being Produced: 9/28/18 (143 days)
EAD/AP Received: 10/4/18

AOS Interview: 09/26/19 (499 days from NOA1) Accepted!
GC Received: 10/16/19

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help.. I just called USCIS about my EAD situation. She told me it’s taking from 6.5-8.5 months at the moment, from your experience is this correct?!? This seems like a ridiculous amount of time. Also, following the application what should I expect next or does the card literally arrive in the post? Is the biometrics linked to this or solely to the adjustment of status? Apologies to ask what may seem like silly questions but I have a potential impending job offer and I don’t think they could wait until Jan 2020 for me to start... 

On 6/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, camerlotte2019 said:

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help.. I just called USCIS about my EAD situation. She told me it’s taking from 6.5-8.5 months at the moment, from your experience is this correct?!? This seems like a ridiculous amount of time. Also, following the application what should I expect next or does the card literally arrive in the post? Is the biometrics linked to this or solely to the adjustment of status? Apologies to ask what may seem like silly questions but I have a potential impending job offer and I don’t think they could wait until Jan 2020 for me to start... 

When did you apply? Have you done your biometrics? Yes, biometrics is connected to EAD and AP.

She's technically correct that waiting times are 6.5-8.5 months, however what she did not tell you is how they calculate those stats. The lower number is the time it takes to complete 50% of the applications. The higher number is the time it takes to complete 93% of applications. In other words, tons of people get their EADs well within 6.5 months. Mine took 4 months. The card arrives in the post. I also subscribed to updates through my USCIS account, so I got an email before my card arrived.

If you get a job offer, and you have done the biometrics, I would highly recommend you expedite your EAD application and cite financial hardship as a reason. Get a letter from your employer stating they would like to employ you at X date for Y salary and submit it as evidence. For more information read this thread: 

Good luck!

h

19 hours ago, LizM said:

When did you apply? Have you done your biometrics? Yes, biometrics is connected to EAD and AP.

She's technically correct that waiting times are 6.5-8.5 months, however what she did not tell you is how they calculate those stats. The lower number is the time it takes to complete 50% of the applications. The higher number is the time it takes to complete 93% of applications. In other words, tons of people get their EADs well within 6.5 months. Mine took 4 months. The card arrives in the post. I also subscribed to updates through my USCIS account, so I got an email before my card arrived.

If you get a job offer, and you have done the biometrics, I would highly recommend you expedite your EAD application and cite financial hardship as a reason. Get a letter from your employer stating they would like to employ you at X date for Y salary and submit it as evidence. For more information read this thread: 

Good luck!

Hello - I applied end of April and still no letter re biometrics. It’s been roughly two months now. Not sure if this is normal or not. When I called they submitted a request for another letter to be sent out as it appears that mine may have got ‘lost in the mail’ 🙄 do you know if there is any way that I can go ahead and book this directly without having to wait for the letter? I will definitely be applying for an expedited EAD. Thank you VERY much for sending me this info, it’s very helpful. @LizM

17 minutes ago, camerlotte2019 said:

Hi all - me again. Sorry to bombard. I checked my online status today and for my AP is saying ‘document has been mailed’, nothing on EAD. I have not had biometrics yet. Is this unusual? I thought AP/EAD came as one document? Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

If you didn't submit the AOS packet together, this may happen and you'll get a paper for AP instead of combined with EAD in a combo card.

11 hours ago, camerlotte2019 said:

@Mellamanlola I filed the packet together 🧐

That’s a little strange then 🤔 it was my understanding that if the aos packet wasn’t submitted all at the same time this happened but at this point just wait it out and see if they send the approval letters for both cause if they do then you’ll get a combo card.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:23 PM, camerlotte2019 said:

Hi all - me again. Sorry to bombard. I checked my online status today and for my AP is saying ‘document has been mailed’, nothing on EAD. I have not had biometrics yet. Is this unusual? I thought AP/EAD came as one document? Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

I don't think it's normal to wait two months, no. Possibly if the biometrics centers are overwhelmed with appointments but I doubt it. I got my letter saying my biometrics appt was waived (because I applied for a renewal, so old bio is still good) like two or three weeks after submitting my application. They should have sent you a letter even if the appt is far out.

What exactly do your EAD application receipt say? You received the case numbers I assume. If you check your case online what's the status of the EAD?

h

13 minutes ago, LizM said:

I don't think it's normal to wait two months, no. Possibly if the biometrics centers are overwhelmed with appointments but I doubt it. I got my letter saying my biometrics appt was waived (because I applied for a renewal, so old bio is still good) like two or three weeks after submitting my application. They should have sent you a letter even if the appt is far out.

What exactly do your EAD application receipt say? You received the case numbers I assume. If you check your case online what's the status of the EAD?

My EAD says ‘case processing’ online. My adjustment says ‘fingerprint fee received’ and back my AP says ‘document was mailed’ so all conflicting. I’ve requested another biometrics letter to be sent so hopefully I’ll get this soon. Just confused as to why the AP has been sent when I thought that this was received as a combo card with the EAD

4 minutes ago, camerlotte2019 said:

My EAD says ‘case processing’ online. My adjustment says ‘fingerprint fee received’ and back my AP says ‘document was mailed’ so all conflicting. I’ve requested another biometrics letter to be sent so hopefully I’ll get this soon. Just confused as to why the AP has been sent when I thought that this was received as a combo card with the EAD

I don't remember having the 'Document was mailed' status. Could it be an RFIE?

Did you change your address/Did you write your address on those forms exactly as it is/Are you missing other mail?

h

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

@LizM I'm also waiting for Biometrics. Notice date is April 15. Tier 2 officer says no biometrics appointment has been scheduled and they are really sorry. She also told me that biometrics don't affect the combo card. I'm an unfortunate Brooklyn filer.

1 minute ago, Maham10 said:

@LizM I'm also waiting for Biometrics. Notice date is April 15. Tier 2 officer says no biometrics appointment has been scheduled and they are really sorry. She also told me that biometrics don't affect the combo card. I'm an unfortunate Brooklyn filer.

You & me both... :( did she have an explanation as to why no appointment has been scheduled?

@LizM my AP says this exactly... On June 11, 2019, we mailed your document for Receipt Number X, directly to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your document by July 11, 2019, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request the document be sent to you. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

so this looks like I may be receiving a separate card for my AP which seems odd. 

2 minutes ago, Maham10 said:

Well I'm not the one to oppose a Tier 2 officer but... I heavily suspect the biometrics has a lot to do with processing the combo card. You need to have your picture taken and your fingerprint done in order to get the combo card. That information is stored in the card. Without it, there is no card. And I'd just assume that the sooner you do your bio the sooner your case is sent to the next stage of processing... but I might be wrong.

h

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.