collinsryanmi

Thailand Packet 3 instructions - documents to submit

67 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have received the email with instruction for packet 3 but am a little confused as it is not clear which documents to submit. The packet 3 instructions I received are dated March 2018 and found here https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/iv-packet-3-instruction-mar2018-english.pdf

So I am confused about which forms you actually submit to the embassy as "packet 3" and which ones you bring to the interview. I feel like the instructions contradict themselves. 

First it says "Prepare the necessary forms and documents that pertain to you on the following checklist. Make sure to bring the original/certified copy of all the documents with you to submit at your visa interview." Which makes me think I do not submit any forms. 

Then it says "SUBMIT PHOTOCOPIES ONLY OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS Photocopies should be black-and-white photocopies. The original/certified copies must be presented at the interview" and lists associated documents 

Then "SUBMIT ORIGINALS OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS You are encouraged to retain photocopies of these documents." and lists associated documents.

And lastly ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS BELOW MUST BE PRESENTED AT THE INTERVIEW These do not need to be mailed to the IV unit at this stage, however we strongly recommend gathering this information in anticipation of your interview.  Which makes me think I submit all the forms listed except these. 

So what do I submit as packet 3 to the embassy? 

Do I submit all the documents listed under the SUBMIT PHOTOCOPIES ONLY OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS checklist and SUBMIT ORIGINALS OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS You are encouraged to retain photocopies of these documents. OR do I just submit the DS160 form and bring all these documents to the interview? 

Thank you,

Ryan 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Photo copies or not isn't really that important. We sent the original police and single certificate. They never even asked to see the other originals including the i-134. Your milage may vary. Also your link is not the k visa instructions. I'm assuming you are k-1 since you are doing the ds-160 instead or 260. Fill out all your profile information if you want decent help. https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/k-packet-3-instruction-mar2018-english.pdf

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 7/18/2018 at 6:26 PM, collinsryanmi said:

Thanks for your response. So we do indeed mail all of those documents to the embassy as packet 3. 

Collins, 

here's my take.......yes, you must submit all the packet 3 documents as follows:   Send photocopies only of the documents shown on page 2.   (you will bring the originals of all these documents to the interview).   Send originals of the documents shown on page 3 and the first half of page 4.   (Make photocopies to bring to the interview).  

That set of photocopies and originals makes up the documents you'll be sending to the Embassy as Packet 3.   

For the interview, bring all the original documents for the items on page 2, and copies of all the items on page 3 and first half of page 4.   Then also bring original for..... 1.  all previous passports, 2. Evidence of relationship.  3.  medical certificate.   

My question is..............do we have to mail the Packet 3 documents or is it possible to drop them off at the Embassy??   (the less I can have my SSN and other confidential information rolling around the postal service, the better!)

Timeline
2 hours ago, DanielPlainview said:

My question is..............do we have to mail the Packet 3 documents or is it possible to drop them off at the Embassy??   (the less I can have my SSN and other confidential information rolling around the postal service, the better!)

I am personally not aware of any method of hand delivering documents to the Embassy.   The facility is heavily fortified and the gate is protected by guards.   The only way inside is by invitation.   

I suggest you try contacting the Embassy via Email to see if they can respond.   The email contact is available here:  https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/packets/.  Look for the Contact Info dropdown tab near the bottom of the page for instructions on how to format your email message to meet their requirements.

If you get an answer from them, update this discussion for the benefit of others in the future.

• 2 months later...

In case it will help others, I've posted my personal "To Do" list for Packet 3. This is what I think I need according to the Packet 3 and Packet 4 documentation (though I still have a few questions). If you see any obvious errors, please let me know :)

I used the document linked from this page: https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/packets/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are required for Packet 3:

Copies of:

• Thai Passport
  • Thai Birth Certificate* (from hometown Amphur, with official seal or signature)
  • Thai Single Certificate* (from hometown Amphur)
  • US Previous Marriage & Divorce Certificates

Originals of:

• Form DS-2001 (“Notification of Applicant Readiness”)
  • Confirmation of Form DS-160 filled out online (“Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application” 40 pages!)
  • Thai + US passport-style Photographs, 2 each
    • keep  4 more, slightly smaller ones, for doctor visit later
  • GSS Registration Confirmation page
    • Print out and keep the CGI Pay Instruction Sheet and Bay Bank Deposit Slip for next step:
  • Receipt of Application Fee Payment ($265)
    • requires a trip to the bank
  • I-135 Affidavit of Support
    • Includes US Tax Return (since self-employed) & letter from US Bank
  • Thai Police Clearance Certificate *
    • Requires “House Registration” (Tabien Baan), Thai & US passports, Thai ID, US Embassy cover letter
    • also required US Tax Form for some reason
    • takes 3+ weeks & 1600B to process

*need to be translated into English

At the interview will need:

• Originals of the all the copies listed above.
  • Thai Previous Passports (if any)
  • Evidence of Relationship
    • So this isn’t sent in with Packet 3?
  • Medical Examination report
    • 6,545B at Bumrungrad Hospital or 9,500B at BNH
    • Requires complete immunizations (additional cost)
    • Take to Exam: passport, four  1.5x2” photos, visa apt letter, case number, Thai + US addresses, vaccination records, medical history & documentation of major surgery etc.
  • Another $325 application fee ?!

Not applicable to us for Packet 3:

Thai Previous Marriage & Divorce Certificates, Adoption Certificate, Grant of Custody for Accompanying Children, Previous US Immigration Records, Foreign Police Records, Court and Prison Records, Military Records.

Timeline
16 hours ago, x3n said:

In case it will help others, I've posted my personal "To Do" list for Packet 3. This is what I think I need according to the Packet 3 and Packet 4 documentation (though I still have a few questions). If you see any obvious errors, please let me know :)

I used the document linked from this page: https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/packets/

Copies of:

• Thai Passport
  • Thai Birth Certificate* (from hometown Amphur, with official seal or signature)

Originals of:

• Confirmation of Form DS-160 filled out online (“Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application” 40 pages!)
    • Print out and keep the CGI Pay Instruction Sheet and Bay Bank Deposit Slip for next step:
    • Requires “House Registration” (Tabien Baan), Thai & US passports, Thai ID, US Embassy cover letter

• Take to Exam: passport, four  1.5x2” photos, visa apt letter, case number, Thai + US addresses, vaccination records, medical history & documentation of major surgery etc.

Thai Previous Marriage & Divorce Certificates, Adoption Certificate, Grant of Custody for Accompanying Children, Previous US Immigration Records, Foreign Police Records, Court and Prison Records, Military Records.

Does the embassy require packet 3 before I can schedule the interview  and/or medical exam ?

Timeline
9 hours ago, John951 said:

Does the embassy require packet 3 before I can schedule the interview  and/or medical exam ?

The Embassy in Bangkok will assign an interview date after receipt of the Packet 3.  Unfortunately the Bangkok Embassy does not allow the applicant to choose their own interview date and time as some other Embassies in other countries allow.

Generally it is advisable to schedule the Medical exam as close to the interview date as reasonably possible as the date of exam is used to determine the expiration date of the Visa.   At Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok (one of the 2 approved hospitals in Bangkok)  it is very easy to schedule the medical exam with in a few days of contacting them.   Additionally, the hospital will request to see your Visa Interview Appointment Letter.   Detailed instructions to prepare for and schedule the medical exam can be found here:  https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/medical-instuctions-feb-2018-english.pdf

Timeline
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:45 AM, x3n said:

Copies of:

• Thai Passport

Originals of:

A few items of possible clarification:

1) "Another $325 application fee?!"  -   I am not sure what this is referring to.   There are no fees paid during the actual interview date.   All Visa Application fees are included in the $265 fee paid at the Krung Sri Bank.   It is possible that this fee is for CR1 Visas which I believe can be paid directly at the Embassy.  If you can provided additional information where you see this fee mentioned I might be able to elaborate on what it is (or is not)...

2) At Bunrungrad Hospital (for the Medical Exam), they will accept either 1.5" x 2" or 2" x 2" photos.  But it is probably best to follow instructions and bring 1.5" x 2".   (Pro Tip:  I was able to cut my fiancee's 2" x 2" photos down to 1.5" x 2" by trimming a 1/4" of the left and right sides.   They were accepted at Bumrungrad without any issues.)

3) "Thai + US passport style Photographs"?   What you will need are 2" x 2" passport style photos to provide to the US Embassy (with Packet 3 and to bring to the Interview.) and 1.5" x 2" passport style photos to bring to the Medical Exam.  (See my notes above).  (Note that 1.5" x 2" is not a standard Thai Passport size either.  I am not sure why they choose 1.5" x 2")

4) Experiences vary greatly with obtaining the Police Clearance Certificate.   What happens here seems to be up to the whims of the officers present during the request.   I recommend to bring a copy of the Embassy instructions to "remind" the Thai officers of the official US Embassy process agreement if they start requesting things "out of the blue" that make no sense.   I did this and was successful on getting the process back on track.   I paid the standard 100 baht fee plus a small EMS postage fee for the mailing of the certificate.  My wait time for processing/receiving the certificate  was exactly 6 weeks.  But as you seem to have experienced, the process can vary, sometimes to your own benefit (ie getting the certificate earlier than 6 weeks wait.}.   The Embassy instructions state that the processing time should be 3 weeks, but 6 weeks seems to be the current standards unless "expedite" fees are paid.

Edited by JoelThai

Timeline
5 hours ago, John951 said:

Any recommendations on transaltion services ?

whats the turn around on getting certified copies?

Our translations were performed at Express Translation Service and Travel Co,, LTD located very close to the Ploenchit BTS Train Station.

http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6&id_lang=1

This is not necessarily a recommendation, but they got the job done for a reasonable cost.

Turn around time was one day.

Pro Tip:   Review carefully the translated document for correctness when you pick them up and before leaving the translation office.   When I went to pick up the documents the next day, I noticed that on the Single Status Certificate translation that my Fiancée  was referred to as MR rather than MISS.   I caught the mistake and it was corrected immediate with an additional 10 minute wait.

The only documents that we required to be translated were the Single Status Certificate and Birth Certificate.   

Thanks for the translation info, I was going to ask about that. The Police Clearance Certificate does not need to be translated too? Ours is still processing so I haven't seen one yet.

My note about the $325 application fee was a result of me looking at the wrong document (I was looking at a Packet 4 for something other than a K-1 visa).

I've noticed in a couple of places that the document list mentions "Evidence of Domicile if applicable". Is that asking for proof that I live in the US? I would think that the address on my Tax Return and all the rest would prove well enough where I live, but I can toss in a copy of my lease if that is what they want.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, x3n said:

Thanks for the translation info, I was going to ask about that. The Police Clearance Certificate does not need to be translated too? Ours is still processing so I haven't seen one yet.

My note about the $325 application fee was a result of me looking at the wrong document (I was looking at a Packet 4 for something other than a K-1 visa).

I've noticed in a couple of places that the document list mentions "Evidence of Domicile if applicable". Is that asking for proof that I live in the US? I would think that the address on my Tax Return and all the rest would prove well enough where I live, but I can toss in a copy of my lease if that is what they want.

Fortunately the Police Certificate will be in English, so no translations are necessary for that. 

If your fiancée carries any professional certifications, University diplomas, etc. that may be useful in the USA, now may be a good time to have those translated as well.   In general, any documentation (divorce decrees, name change documents, etc.) requested by and presented to the US Embassy that is in Thai should include a certified Thai -> English translation.  But if the Thai script is insignificant to the evidence being presented (such as writing appearing on signage in the background of photographs) which are used for evidence of on going relationship, translation is not necessary.

If you have been spending most of your time in the US, you do not need to be concerned with proof of Domicile at this stage.   I did not provide an documentation of my home address other than what I stated in the original I-129F application, and for what it is worth, it did match my IRS mailing address.   So, I expect you should be ok at this stage.

Evidence of Domicile may come into play during Adjustment of Status when completing the I-864 Evidence of Support documentation  after marriage in the USA, but I have not focused too much energy on this stage just yet. (Note that the I-864 is similar to the I-131 Evidence of Support documentation which is required with Packet 3, but should not be confused as being the same thing.   It will be requested as part of Adjustment of Status to obtain the Green Card).

Edited by JoelThai

Timeline
Just now, John951 said:

It comes already translated  from the government ?

That is correct.   The certificate delivered by the Thai Police will be in English.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.