Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,472 posts in this topic

I agree and I'd rather be honest too. I don't want to appear guilty or being dishonest. This visit will be different to the previous visit, we met on the West Coast and married (although it was not planned at all, she spontaneously sprung this on me a couple of days before I was due to leave). This time I'll be visiting the East Coast. I'll bring proof, well as best as I can that I intend to return to the UK. What concerns me is that everytime I go to visit, which will only be a a week at a time at best every 6-8 weeks, I'm going to be running the gauntlet of being turned away simply because of being married.

That's been exactly my pattern of visits for years. Every 6 - 8 weeks for a week at a time. I couldn't do longer, less frequent visits. I was there end of December and would have been back again in February but I have some big things going on at work until March so this will be the longest we have been without seeing each other.

I have never had a problem. It's over 40 visits now and not one problem yet. But I have always been honest. Never once have I said "friends" or "Christmas shopping". We have been married over a year and I have been visiting regularly throughout.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's been exactly my pattern of visits for years. Every 6 - 8 weeks for a week at a time. I couldn't do longer, less frequent visits. I was there end of December and would have been back again in February but I have some big things going on at work until March so this will be the longest we have been without seeing each other.

I have never had a problem. It's over 40 visits now and not one problem yet. But I have always been honest. Never once have I said "friends" or "Christmas shopping". We have been married over a year and I have been visiting regularly throughout.

That's a relief to hear. Someone in another thread insinuated I would likely be considered a risk of being denied entry because I'm married. When I entered the States last time, I hadn't planned on getting married, it sort of happened and I'm concerned I'll be raising red flags unnecessarily. I'd personally rather be honest, but I've had conflicting advice. Given your experiences, I feel more confident but I appreciate its a case by case situation and I've as much chance of being denied as I have being admitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I am planning on visiting my husband in April. I will stay for 3 weeks. We just received the NOA1 and we were sent to Nebraska, so it might take a while and I don't think that I could cope without seeing my husband for so long.

I currently live in the UK and have a permanent job here. I also have a lease for a house. I am not intending on staying any longer than 3 weeks. The last time that I saw him was in November and I just wanna spend some time with him in April. I can travel on ESTA as Belgium is part of the VWP but I know that this is a huge risk to take though as 3 weeks can seem very long to some people. I feel like it is almost illegal to see your spouse while the CR1 visa is pending.

Any advice on my travel plans?

First meeting: 04/14/12

Wedding: 11/23/15

i130 petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox: 01/20/16

NOA1: 01/26/16 (Notice Date written on I-797c)

NOA2: ???

Everyone please don't worry as much. Realistically unless you have previous immigration history issues or might be from a red flag country there won't be an issue. I travelled backwards and forwards 6 times in the course of a year (from UK to US) whilst going through immigration proceedings, and before we married numerous times. Always stay honest feel free to take evidence of ties to home. My questioning ranged from 4 to 5 basic things to nothing at all! I know it's a worry as you never know who your going to get just be honest and breathe!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey everyone, I just want to share my experience here. Im in the states right now. We got our NOA1 at january 6 and waiting for NOA2. My flight was on january12 and my POE was in detroit, I was waiting for 20min in the line and all the officers seemed very friendly.I went to one of the officers and that woman was not happy at all about me coming to the states while we making our K1. She ask me if I have job and what my job is. Why I want to visit my boyfriend. What he is doing where he lives and more... she asked me some questions two or three times. I had my esta, some insurance papers and a letter from my employer with me but she just wanted to see my return ticket. I was reading this posts here and I thought I won't have any issues but that woman made me totally scared. She almost sent me back. I don't want to scare someone with my experience. Maybe she just didn't like me?

Hoping someone can help me. Sorry new here, hope this is the right section.

I began dating my girlfriend early December last year, we met online and then for first time in person late December. To say it was something of a whirlwind romance is an understatement, we married early January and I flew back home not long after.

We want to begin processing a I-130 visa but my concern is this: we hadn't intended to get married when we met in December but get married we did and when I fly back to see her next month, what do I say to the border guard? Do I say I'm visiting friends or do I state I'm visiting my wife and get hauled through the interview process to prove not only we know each other but I intend to return home (which I do, my job as it happens requires a 3 month notice period). Any advice will be greatly and gratefully appreciated :)

there is an equivalent thread for Cr-1/Ir-1 filers that talks about this - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/479894-yes-you-can-visit-ir1-cr1-version/

Go check it out, if you haven't already.Tthey are the ones actually doing it. Here it's mostly people who are going through the K-1 who are posting.

the offshot is that yes, it is possible. Bring ties and relax and be honest and actually plan on leaving again.

Good luck!

Edited by Mena28

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

My fiancé and I have been back and forth every 3 months for the past 3 years. We both never have had any problems with customs. I used to work in America on a J1 visa so anytime they ask why I am visiting I say "visiting friends"

I was told never to tell customs that your visiting a partner. I am traveling back to the states mid March so fingers crossed there are still no problems!! Hopefully last flight before embassy interview ??

Good Luck everyone!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd offer my experience, as I'm now in the states with my fiancé for a few weeks. I was really worried about visiting and had read lots of horror stories and had built myself into a bit of a panic which was so silly. The golden rule is just be honest, they are immigration officials with a keen eye for anyone not telling the truth or trying to hide something. I brought along some ties for back home, my return ticket & of course my genuine intent to go home. I was asked who I was visiting, where I was going & how long I was staying. Of course I mentioned my fiancé, we had a light hearted chat and wished me on my way, the k1 process is long and at times really hard but if you're being put off by visiting whilst it's processing, don't be. It's totally legal and it'll break up the waiting, don't panic just because you have a US fiance. As I said, bring ties for back home, your return ticket & just tell the truth of your visit & you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so helpful to read! I'm currently in the process of awaiting NOA2 and my fiancé and I wanted to see each other before we really have to wait to complete approval, and God knows how long that's going to take.. I booked a round way for April 18th, entering Washington. I hope they are nice to me.. I'll take two bank statements with me, my return ticket and a letter from my boss when I'm expected back or so. And just being honest that I'm visiting my US fiancé and no intention of getting married there, all doingit the legal way. Fingers crossed!

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline

Hey guys,

I am in the USA visiting my fiancé now first the first time since we filed for K1, I had never been so nervous going through immigration! I am senior at college so I took a letter from my professor stating how long I'm enrolled in university for, my exam timetable, a letter of leave from my employee, return ticket and a copy of my esta (never took that much precaution before)

Well I had never been asked so little questions at immigration in all my life! He asked me "why am I in the USA?" I responded with "vacation" and that was it!!! Usually get asked about school and work but none of that. So little to say I got worked up for nothing, so try and relax and just be prepared and you'll be fine, your not breaking any laws by visiting, you have every right to do so. :)

I'm still debating on right away telling them "visiting my fiancé" or just "vacation" when they ask my reason to visit. Or both, "vacation with my fiancé,"

We're actually doing a vacation together, he took off too and we're also going to look at wedding venues, should I mention that if they ask for what I'm going to do? I'm like 50/50 nervous lol. I hope Washington is not going to give me a hard time.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline

I'm still debating on right away telling them "visiting my fiancé" or just "vacation" when they ask my reason to visit. Or both, "vacation with my fiancé,"

If they ask you why your visiting I would say "vacation" if they ask into that then you need to be honest I guess, I always said I was visiting friends up until visa process. But I did work here so it wasn't a lie either because I did!

We're actually doing a vacation together, he took off too and we're also going to look at wedding venues, should I mention that if they ask for what I'm going to do? I'm like 50/50 nervous lol. I hope Washington is not going to give me a hard time.

I wouldn't say your visiting wedding venues or mention "wedding" just say your visiting. If your going in to the USA to plan a wedding they may take that as "entering with intent to marry" and raise some red flags in the officers eyes.

Just be honest but some say more than what they ask you. As long as your have your evidence that you will be returning they should be fine as you aren't doing anything illegal.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I am planning on visiting my fiancée in about a month. By then I will have a letter of employment, a lease from my parents, sufficient bank statements, letters to my Canadian address in my name, fiancée contact info and what not.

When I last entered two weeks ago I was denied entry because I didn't have enough ties. She outlined "strong reason to go back to Canada", and the sheet says I have to present it next time I try to come over. I said I was visiting a friend and she later found out I was visiting my boyfriend.

I'm going to be traveling through YYZ to the USA.

Any suggestions?

Edited by capriwithlove

Never lie to the immigration officers or even attempt to mislead them, but its okay not to go into specifics unless they ask. When they ask reason for visit, just say "vacation". If they ask where you are staying, tell them the town/city. If they ask what you will do there tell them, eg "shopping, sightseeing, etc". Of course if they ask who you are visiting, or why you've made several trips previously to same place, be honest. Its not "a friend" its your fiance. If you read through this thread you'll find that they appreciate honestly and don't like dishonesty or attempts to mislead them (that looks like you have something to hide). The worst case is that you get sent home for being honest (very unlikely), which is better than getting denied for being dishonest, which might affect future visa plans.

I wouldn't mention looking at wedding venues. I always took my k1 file with me and evidence of other ties to home. If they'd asked whether I was going to get married during my trip I'd tell them I'm already months into the process of getting a k1 and I know I just can't come and get married and that is why I'm doing it properly via the k1 route, and that I wouldn't waste all that money and time if I didn't intend to do things properly. But they never asked during my trips.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.