bashray

Travel with GC

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys, first time here. I had a long immigration journey of 16 years to get my GC in 2016 finally. Now taking vacation with family after a very long time and traveling internationally. I am a bit nervous and feeling a anxious about traveling outside US as I have not done that in last 16 years. It was a work based immigration so got stuck in backlogs and what not. Just wanted to ask how is the travel experience on GC specially in today's political climate? Anyone want to share their recent experience with me, really appreciate that. I am only leaving for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy your visit (hopefully it's a vacation!). Carry your green card. Answer any questions honestly. I doubt it's likely that you would get pulled into secondary, but if it happens then it happens...it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Just leave more than enough time to get through immigration either way.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Make a copy of your GC and do NOT lose it while abroad. Also carry (and make copies) of your GC approval letter. I would do it just to be careful. Enjoy your trip. You should be fine. One advise, try not to spend too long time abroad. 

Filed: Timeline

Congrats, I'm sure it feels great to finally breathe! Nothing to worry about upon travelling, try not to lose the green cards, if it happens you can get a transportation letter from the nearest consulate (most, anyway.)

And don't bring back unapproved foods! That's really more of a customs issue, you may get a fine, many airports seem to have dogs now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the Working & Traveling forum -- topic is travel.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The past is the past. 16 years of stress doesn't matter to CBP now, now you have the GC in hand you are entitled to the same rights & privileges all other GC holders are.  Today's political climate has zero - I repeat ZERO - bearing on you unless you are traveling to a troubled hotspot in which case you should expect extra scrutiny from a security standpoint. Make sure you know all the rules about time abroad vs time in the US etc so you don't risk losing what you have worked so hard to obtain. Congrats. 

Edited by Teemo

On 7/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, Teemo said:

The past is the past. 16 years of stress doesn't matter to CBP now, now you have the GC in hand you are entitled to the same rights & privileges all other GC holders are.  Today's political climate has zero - I repeat ZERO - bearing on you unless you are traveling to a troubled hotspot in which case you should expect extra scrutiny from a security standpoint. Make sure you know all the rules about time abroad vs time in the US etc so you don't risk losing what you have worked so hard to obtain. Congrats. 

Thanks Teemo

On 7/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, little immigrant said:

Here is a little bit of my experience when I traveled. I should have shown my GC at the second check point but it all went well regardless. 

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband is an Australian Citizen and US Green Card holder. He had to fly to Australia 10 days ago and he came back into the US yesterday. He had absolutely no problems getting through customs at LAX airport. My husband said they asked him for his passport, permanent residency card and how long he was in Australia...He got right through with no problems at all. He also took a copy of his social security card (Just in Case).  We also made copies of his passport, permanent residency card and social security card to play it safe just in case something happen to his documents. Hope that helps!

P.s. This was not his first trip back home since he got the permanent residency. He has made two trips to Australia by himself and two trips with me. So, four trips in all since he got his permanent residency card and no problems getting through customs with any of the trips.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.