Keith & Arileidi

Analysis Finds Geographic Overlap In Opioid Use And Trump Support In 2016

87 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Rob and Cheryl said:

So we are agreed? Fix it? (Opiate epedemic?)

I never disagreed with your idea to fix it, i disagreed with the political extrapolations that others made of the results

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

I never disagreed with your idea to fix it, i disagreed with the political extrapolations that others made of the results

Yeah , we need to move forward. This country has been doing  too much of that lately. We need doers and not talkers today.

8 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

The experiment did not follow the basic tenents of the scientific method, no hypothesis needed without seeking a truly random sampling the research is flawed

oh dear god, they are multiplying

8 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

The opioid epidemic is hitting rural areas the hardest. That's not flawed research, it's not a study. It's simple statistics and epidemiology data.

And I agree with you mostly though not sure about the rural part. A lot of what we talk about in here is first hand experience and observation and generally accepted well known fact. I think most people would agree the Opioid thing would be more prevalent among white and generally speaking those that zag right as is the Meth epidemic . I dont think we need to present 400 page research papers every time we talk about common sense subjects .

That in no means Trump has a larger share of undesirables than Dems do

20 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

The experiment did not follow the basic tenents of the scientific method, no hypothesis needed without seeking a truly random sampling the research is flawed

Why do you keep calling the study an  experiment? 

The researchers are applying Statistics methods to historical data. 

20 hours ago, Satisfied said:

The reason there is an uptick in opioid use in areas that voted for Trump is due to all the liberal depression in those areas.  There, now you know why.  It’s not due to the people who actually voted for Trump.

19 hours ago, Satisfied said:

To be clear, I am saying this tongue in cheek.  What I am saying has about as much merit as the title of the OP.  And about as much evidence to back it up.  There could be a number of reasons for the level of abuse in those areas, but cherry-picking one correlation does not make it accurate, nor the only reason.  

Keep stretching lol. 

Filed: Timeline

Here’s the correlation I see:

But Medicare data indicate that voters in areas that went for Trump weren't just hurting economically — many of them were receiving prescriptions for opioid painkillers.

Who uses Medicare?  Old people. Why opioids?  They hurt more.   And Trump carried the older age groups by a fair margin.  Not much of a mystery, IMO.

14 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Here’s the correlation I see:

Who uses Medicare?  Old people. Why opioids?  They hurt more.   And Trump carried the older age groups by a fair margin.  Not much of a mystery, IMO.

That's exactly what the analysis said in the first place, its a correlation based on medicare part D data. Although it did say 20% of the people (~600000) were under the age of 65.

It might have helped the discussion if people had just looked at the data instead of reacting to the perceived slight against Trump. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Timeline
4 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

That's exactly what the analysis said in the first place, its a correlation based on medicare part D data. Although it did say 20% of the people (~600000) were under the age of 65.

It might have helped the discussion if people had just looked at the data instead of reacting to the perceived slight against Trump the article published by the NPR hadn’t used a title that suggested Trump voters abused opioids. 

Fixxored for ya.

Sometimes, the devil is in the details.

25 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

It might have helped the discussion if people had just looked at the data instead of reacting to the perceived slight against Trump. 

I dont know how anyone could take this as a slight against Trump and his supporters.  Odd anyone would think that.

"Analysis Finds Geographic Overlap In Opioid Use And Trump Support In 2016"

23 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I dont know how anyone could take this as a slight against Trump and his supporters.  Odd anyone would think that.

"Analysis Finds Geographic Overlap In Opioid Use And Trump Support In 2016"

Because you all are kind of hypersensitive when you see Trump's name come up.  That's OK. I remember when the MDR used to think the same about Obama supoorters. Small world.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Because you all are kind of hypersensitive when you see Trump's name come up.  That's OK. I remember when the MDR used to think the same about Obama supoorters. Small world.

I know right. Maybe if a MDL gets elected next time we can all swap sides of the stadium again 

7 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Because you all are kind of hypersensitive when you see Trump's name come up.  

Do you ever stop dropping gems? 

8 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

This is the exact reason why I posted this article. The headline is somewhat click bait, but details a pretty thorough study. 

I've gotten replies ranging from Democrats are the drug abusers to calling the statistics "pseudo-science".

Yet none of them bothered to read the article or check out the study. I guess if it was from FOX NEWS, Breitbart or Rush Limbaugh there would have been better responses. 

43 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

This is the exact reason why I posted this article. The headline is somewhat click bait, but details a pretty thorough study. 

I've gotten replies ranging from Democrats are the drug abusers to calling the statistics "pseudo-science".

Yet none of them bothered to read the article or check out the study. I guess if it was from FOX NEWS, Breitbart or Rush Limbaugh there would have been better responses. 

I read more than the headlines, guess your assumption n that is faulty too. 

And yes, people are passionate for or against Trump. Kind of like the love or hate of Obama was a passionate response. The difference was Obama was given a modicum of respect