Keith & Arileidi

Analysis Finds Geographic Overlap In Opioid Use And Trump Support In 2016

87 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

Why do I have to defend someone else's flawed research?

Yes ... It really just sounds like you are saying its flawed simply because you don't agree with the the outcome. 

Saying it won't stand up to scientific method is a great hypothesis. 

Trying to pitch the hypothesis as fact before you actually conduct an experiement... would in fact be pseudoscience. 

9 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

Why do I have to discredit or defend someone else's flawed research?

You don't.. but you do need to defend your own assertions. 

The experiment did not follow the basic tenents of the scientific method, no hypothesis needed without seeking a truly random sampling the research is flawed

If I go into a Catholic Church in Chicago and based on my observation state that 97 percent of the residents of Chicago are Catholic are my observations correct?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

The experiment did not follow the basic tenents of the scientific method, no hypothesis needed without seeking a truly random sampling the research is flawed

I am sorry , I am not a scientist but this makes no sense to me. The correlation between the Geo areas and voters for Trump is clear. As Steel pointed out the pattern of drug  use is easy to overlay.  The hypothesis part comes next to explain why this occurs or whether it is random facts. We have correlation.

Edited by Rob and Cheryl

1 hour ago, spookyturtle said:

The opioid crisis is everywhere in the US. Rich, poor, black, white, urban, suburban, employed, unemployed, it doesn’t seem to matter. 

If you live in a large metropolitan area, your medical record is more likely to be in a database that is shared between hospitals, ER's and large physician networks. It's is just logistically harder to jump around from physician to physician for prescriptions. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

1 minute ago, Rob and Cheryl said:

I am sorry , I am not an scientist but this makes no sense to me. The correlation between the Geo areas and voters for Trump is clear. As Steel pointed out the pattern of drug  use is easy to overlay.  The hypothesis part comes next to explain why this occurs or whether it is random facts. We have correlation.

They only checked voters, not the general population

9 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

It wasn't a scientific study, it was an analysis of existing data. I have my doubts that you are ever going to get a double blind, placebo controlled study on opioid abuse. 

If we can get past the pickiness over the wording, it does actually highlight a bigger issue. 

Filed: Timeline
25 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

True..  but studying statical data behind the epidemic will help us learn cause and effect. 

The reason there is an uptick in opioid use in areas that voted for Trump is due to all the liberal depression in those areas.  There, now you know why.  It’s not due to the people who actually voted for Trump.

Filed: Timeline
16 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

The reason there is an uptick in opioid use in areas that voted for Trump is due to all the liberal depression in those areas.  There, now you know why.  It’s not due to the people who actually voted for Trump.

To be clear, I am saying this tongue in cheek.  What I am saying has about as much merit as the title of the OP.  And about as much evidence to back it up.  There could be a number of reasons for the level of abuse in those areas, but cherry-picking one correlation does not make it accurate, nor the only reason.  

2 hours ago, Satisfied said:

To be clear, I am saying this tongue in cheek.  What I am saying has about as much merit as the title of the OP.  And about as much evidence to back it up.  There could be a number of reasons for the level of abuse in those areas, but cherry-picking one correlation does not make it accurate, nor the only reason.  

No it doesn't. You are making something up, while the OP is actually analyzing and correlating data. The data shows that rural counties with chronic abuse of prescription opioids tended to have higher support for Trump. Counties with lower opioid abuse correlated with lower support for Trump. There was no specific analysis of who was actually using opioids in any given county.  The study didn't claim it was abuse by Republicans or Democrats, but they did suggest that it could have been social or economic factors in general that favored greater support for Trump in those areas. Which actually makes sense. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

It wasn't a scientific study, it was an analysis of existing data. I have my doubts that you are ever going to get a double blind, placebo controlled study on opioid abuse. 

If we can get past the pickiness over the wording, it does actually highlight a bigger issue. 

Thankyou. Please, never get a double blind study on opiate abuse... lets just fix it and move forward..

1 minute ago, Rob and Cheryl said:

Thankyou. Please, never get a double blind study on opiate abuse... lets just fix it and move forward..

Agreed lets also not use it to prop up a political opinion and suggest things that are counter to the solution to the problem

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

Agreed lets also not use it to prop up a political opinion and suggest things that are counter to the solution to the problem

So we are agreed? Fix it? (Opiate epedemic?)