Keith & Arileidi

Analysis Finds Geographic Overlap In Opioid Use And Trump Support In 2016

87 posts in this topic

"The fact that rural, economically disadvantaged parts of the country broke heavily for the Republican candidate in the 2016 election is well known. But Medicare data indicate that voters in areas that went for Trump weren't just hurting economically — many of them were receiving prescriptions for opioid painkillers."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/06/23/622692550/analysis-finds-geographic-overlap-in-opioid-use-and-trump-support-in-2016?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180623

🤔Interesting 🤔

kind  of like this:

Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to have received food stamps at some point in their lives—a participation gap that echoes the deep partisan divide in the U.S. House of Representatives, which on Thursday produced a farm bill that did not include funding for the food stamp program.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

feed the plebes ... as old as the Roman Empire to ensure the vote of the masses

like your example selective since in your case it only included legal opioid usage

My thought would be the people who didn't vote (presumably the democrats in these areas) would be the ones on opioids. This is all wild speculation though unless you can draw a direct link to the people who voted and opiod use.

Edited by jg121783

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Several of these articles (I linked another below) have shown an epidemiological trend across the nation. There is a nationwide opioid epidemic which is hitting rural America especially hard. While these areas tended towards Trump overall in the last election, I don't think there is a partisan breakdown of the abuse within the areas.  It's a problem for everyone. It's one of several issues in our country where people need to get past the political schism and acknowledge we have a serious problem.

The next HIV epidemic in America is likely brewing in rural areas suffering under the nationwide opioid crisis, with many of the highest risk communities in deep red states that voted for President Donald Trump.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Several of these articles (I linked another below) have shown an epidemiological trend across the nation. There is a nationwide opioid epidemic which is hitting rural America especially hard. While these areas tended towards Trump overall in the last election, I don't think there is a partisan breakdown of the abuse within the areas.  It's a problem for everyone. It's one of several issues in our country where people need to get past the political schism and acknowledge we have a serious problem.

The next HIV epidemic in America is likely brewing in rural areas suffering under the nationwide opioid crisis, with many of the highest risk communities in deep red states that voted for President Donald Trump.

Yeah, trying to establish a link between a particular party and drug use would be near-impossible to establish without violating laws.  Anyone could spin it either way, as evidenced here in this thread.

The fact of the matter is that people on both sides of the aisle are abusing the drugs.

Edited by Satisfied

20 hours ago, jg121783 said:

My thought would be the people who didn't vote (presumably the democrats in these areas) would be the ones on opioids. This is all wild speculation though unless you can draw a direct link to the people who voted and opiod use.

Your opinions are always welcome.. but we are talking about hard data here, using stardards statistical techniques.. if you have a problem with the study ,write a peer reviewed rebuttal. 

20 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

kind  of like this:

Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to have received food stamps at some point in their lives—a participation gap that echoes the deep partisan divide in the U.S. House of Representatives, which on Thursday produced a farm bill that did not include funding for the food stamp program.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

feed the plebes ... as old as the Roman Empire to ensure the vote of the masses

like your example selective since in your case it only included legal opioid usage

3 paragraphs later ...

**In my best SpongeBob announcer voice***

"But when the political lens shifts from partisanship to ideology, the participation gap vanishes. Self-described political conservatives were no more likely than liberals or moderates to have received food stamps (17% for each group), according to the survey."

Furthermore.. the pew survey is based off of soft data (surveys) while the study I posted uses hard data ( voting and prescription records). 

Further furthermore.. I personally don't care about people using security nets. The benefits of having a properly fed population outweighs any type of moral objection you have. 

20 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

You are right the study doesn't  try to create a partisan break down of drug abuse, but it is providing statical proof that trump country has the highest concentration of the problem. And this in return might effects how voters see economic issues. 

17 hours ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

and I am sure there is an overlap for prison inmates, gang members, illegal aliens etc etc.

I am sure there is..

Find some studies and we can talk. 

18 hours ago, Satisfied said:

Yeah, trying to establish a link between a particular party and drug use would be near-impossible to establish without violating laws. 

Did you read the article??  because its not tying to. 

"We were not implying causality, that the Trump vote caused opioids or that opioids caused the Trump vote," he cautions. "We're talking about associations."

10 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Your opinions are always welcome.. but we are talking about hard data here, using stardards statistical techniques.. if you have a problem with the study ,write a peer reviewed rebuttal. 

3 paragraphs later ...

"But when the political lens shifts from partisanship to ideology, the participation gap vanishes. Self-described political conservatives were no more likely than liberals or moderates to have received food stamps (17% for each group), according to the survey."

Furthermore.. the pew survey is based off of soft data (surveys) while the study I posted uses hard data ( voting and prescription records). 

Further furthermore.. I personally don't care about people using security nets. The benefits of having a properly fed population outweighs any type of moral objection you have. 

You are right the study doesn't  try to create a partisan break down of drug abuse, but it is providing statical proof that trump country has the highest concentration of the problem. And this in return might effects how voters see economic issues. 

I am sure there is..

"We were not implying causality, that the Trump vote caused opioids or that opioids caused the Trump vote," he cautions. "We're talking about associations."

As i said, the articles posted were very selective in their implications, both the food stamps and opiod use, neither would pass muster for scientic method both in term of population and controls. You yourself stated as much but left flawed conclusions to facilitate the headline-only readers. 

My point was that snippets of random pseudo-research should not be the basis of inflammatory postings.

i can find research however flawed proving I am a unicorn

14 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

3 paragraphs later ...

I am sure there is..

Well I didnt think you needed studies and graphs for stuff that is common knowledge but here you go. Didn't check to see how old the data is ROFL

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients

14 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I like free stuff

Vote Hillary 2020

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”