Lyondellic

Possible to expedite AP?

15 posts in this topic

I have seen several threads here about expediting the EAD, but am wondering if it is possible to expedite AP (I-131)? If so, how is it done? Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can get emergency AP if the reason qualifies. Many threads on that. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Lyondellic said:

I have seen several threads here about expediting the EAD, but am wondering if it is possible to expedite AP (I-131)? If so, how is it done? Thanks!

Yes, but you must meet expedite criteria. USCIS does not regularly grant expedites unless there is obvious reason. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
23 hours ago, Lyondellic said:

I have tried to quote my AP based on financial loss of 30k (a trip my family had planned since last year, we filed for the AOS/AP in February of this year) but my request was denied without even asking for evidence. I then tried an infopass appointment but they just told me to resubmit the expedite request. I am thinking that the expedites got rejected as my trip is still 40 days away so I am probably going to do another infopass 10 days before (which puts me at the 5 month mark) and ask for an emergency AP.

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I did infopass, they said if you basically show up with all the info you need for an emergency AP at the infopass. Did you take all the information for the 30k loss, show that a third party booked the flights, did the infopass officer help do the expedite or they said go home and try again yourself?

Timeline
On 6/28/2018 at 4:50 PM, A&H2018 said:

When I did infopass, they said if you basically show up with all the info you need for an emergency AP at the infopass. Did you take all the information for the 30k loss, show that a third party booked the flights, did the infopass officer help do the expedite or they said go home and try again yourself?

I had all invoices and booking confirmations with me. The officer did not help to expedite and just told me to go home and try again.

Don't forget that the Emergency Travel Permit fee is of $575, and if they deny it, they will not give you back the money!

I130 approved 10/18/2016 - PD 07/11/2016

My AOS timeline: I-765, I-131, I-485

10/12/17:Package sent

10/17/17: Package received

10/24/17: NOA received. Priority date: 10/23/17

10/30/17: Biometric appointment notice

11/13/17: Biometric appointment done

Filed: Timeline

A vacation planned outside the US without AP in hand is an emergency?   Huh?

You gambled on having AP and planned a trip outside the US.  This is not an emergency.  This is your failure to plan.

Sorry, but the reason you were sent home is that a planned vacation is not an hardship.  A vacation poorly planned without having AP is not an emergency for USCIS.  

Giving you Emergency AP does not prevent you from avoiding a financial loss.  The money has already been spent.  Giving you Emergency AP allows you to take a vacation outside the US.  Taking your vacation does not prevent a financial hardship to you.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

A vacation planned outside the US without AP in hand is an emergency?   Huh?

You gambled on having AP and planned a trip outside the US.  This is not an emergency.  This is your failure to plan.

Sorry, but the reason you were sent home is that a planned vacation is not an hardship.  A vacation poorly planned without having AP is not an emergency for USCIS.  

Giving you Emergency AP does not prevent you from avoiding a financial loss.  The money has already been spent.  Giving you Emergency AP allows you to take a vacation outside the US.  Taking your vacation does not prevent a financial hardship to you.

That trip was actually booked last year (more than 2 months before we got married), at that time the processing times were about 3 months and now I am getting close to 5 months.

And I agree with you, this is definitely not financial hardship, but then again, USCIS does not require financial hardship but financial loss, which I think this definitely is.

4 hours ago, italiansf said:

Don't forget that the Emergency Travel Permit fee is of $575, and if they deny it, they will not give you back the money!

Thank you !

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

30k loss. $575 well is worth it. Let's be real the user has an easy case the $575 is just to make someone care to look at the file that day. If you are at "ready to schedule interview", very confused why you would be rejected they have already assessed you are not a security threat or anything.

I have to agree...this is a very weak case for emergency AP or an expedite. A golden rule is not to make any plans that you aren't willing to change or lose unless you have AP in hand. The financial loss would be a choice to go on a family vacation, not a need.

But you are free to try.

I hope you get AP before your planned trip.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
28 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I have to agree...this is a very weak case for emergency AP or an expedite. A golden rule is not to make any plans that you aren't willing to change or lose unless you have AP in hand. The financial loss would be a choice to go on a family vacation, not a need.

But you are free to try.

I hope you get AP before your planned trip.

I agree, it's far from perfect but it's the best reason I could come up with. I would have preferred to try to expedite my EAD and get the AP that way based on a job offer but my lawyer said that my E2 visa is still valid for work during the adjustment process, so I can't really use that. I also need to travel internationally for work but I cannot proof a financial loss to the company so I don't think that would work either.

1 minute ago, A&H2018 said:

cant you travel if you make the trip somewhat business too? if the e2 is still valid?

E-2 status still abandons AOS if they exit without AP or a green card. E-2 does not permit immigrant intent, so even if the visa was still valid, he could not use it to return and file for AOS again 9and may be turned away due to immigrant intent due to the past AOS application).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.