Tmc225usc

Bringing Niece of USC to the US after death of a parent (From Thailand)

23 posts in this topic

Hypothetical side question: Assuming the death of both parents of the niece, is there a window of time that the two year living-with-the-child requirement has to fall within in order to be adopted to the US by an aunt or uncle from a Hague country? Can it be any two years, or only after the death of both the child's parents?

Filed: Timeline
9 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Hypothetical side question: Assuming the death of both parents of the niece, is there a window of time that the two year living-with-the-child requirement has to fall within in order to be adopted to the US by an aunt or uncle from a Hague country? Can it be any two years, or only after the death of both the child's parents?

Any two years because a child may be adopted years after the parents' deaths.

The ideal situation would be to move to Thailand to start the adoption process and living together for 2 years.  Once the adoption process starts, get the court to grant temporary legal custody to start the 2 years living together requirement.  Once the adoption is finalized before her 16th birthday requirement and the 2 years living together with legal custody requirement are met, then they can file the I-130.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 6/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, Jojo92122 said:

Immigration is not what most Americans think it is . . . you can not petition and bring your entire family over like the Republicans make it out that way.  Immigration is not that easy.  And sometimes, it's impossible.

But the loud man on the TV said its way too easy, and that people can basically bring over a whole village.

Thank you all for the replies.  I had no idea this would be this crazy and or impossible.

Its insane to me that one of the few options in a situation like this is to wait for the person to age out and then meet an American, fall in love, and get married.

10/03/13: N400 Sent to Dallas Service Center
10/11/13: Received
10/16/13: NOA
11/06/13: Biometrics
01/13/14: Passed Interview!
05/16/14: Oath Ceremony. Finally Finished!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Tmc225usc said:

But the loud man on the TV said its way too easy, and that people can basically bring over a whole village.

Thank you all for the replies.  I had no idea this would be this crazy and or impossible.

Its insane to me that one of the few options in a situation like this is to wait for the person to age out and then meet an American, fall in love, and get married.

Nobody here suggested marriage.

The US is extremely generous in the categories you can sponsor, but even the US has limits.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Nor did I say any one from here suggested it.  That was just my own comment.

Ill continue the support from abroad route and hope for the best. The school route while interesting, sounds bound to fail. It would also be impossible for me with my job to live abroad for 2 years.

10/03/13: N400 Sent to Dallas Service Center
10/11/13: Received
10/16/13: NOA
11/06/13: Biometrics
01/13/14: Passed Interview!
05/16/14: Oath Ceremony. Finally Finished!

17 hours ago, Tmc225usc said:

Yowza

Is coming/living in the US the be-all-end-all? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
31 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Yowza

Is coming/living in the US the be-all-end-all? 

Apparently

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.