ANF2014

Mother in law looking to get B-2 Visa (Jamaica)

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If there were documents that they need to see they would ask for them as part of the application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
23 hours ago, ANF2014 said:

Hello everyone! My husband is a permanent resident and I am US Citizen. We recently had our first child and would like my mother in law to come and visit and spend some quality time with her newest grandchild. I know we need to file a B-2 visa, but just wondering about what type of supporting documents she will need, and if we need to send any letters to help her in the process. 

She was recently denied a visitor visa because lack of evidence. 

Please share your experience and any advice you can give in assisting us in the process.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

If she is employed, then she can provide a letter from her supervisor of amount of vacation she has, expected to return to work, etc.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

If she is employed, then she can provide a letter from her supervisor of amount of vacation she has, expected to return to work, etc.

Her Employment details will be on the application, bet certainly take whatever she feels is relevant.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, ANF2014 said:

I saw that being the case when I searched online, but when she went in for the interview they didn't even look at any of the documents she brought almost like it was denied mainly because of the application. 

That’s quite normal, and the denial wouldn’t have been because she selected B1/B2 instead of just B2. It would have been based on her answers to the various questions in the form. You will always see people here caution that COs may or may not look at any evidence brought with. Although, your first post did say “lack of evidence” which implied she didn’t bring documents, and a later post you again said she didn’t bring any evidence, and now you say she brought but that the CO didn’t look at it? In any case, the answers in the form are always the main basis for decision. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
23 hours ago, ANF2014 said:

She is a home owner, has land that she rents out, and she owns a farm. She’s been married to my father in law for over 30 years and with the exception of my husband all of her children and grandchildren live in Jamaica.

Does she work? How much income does she bring in from renting and the farm? How old is she? Sadly, none of the things you mentioned shows “strong” ties to JA. All can be left behind for a “better” American life. All subjective to the CO. And sad that it’s this way.

Timeline
1 hour ago, angelbrown said:

Does she work? How much income does she bring in from renting and the farm? How old is she? Sadly, none of the things you mentioned shows “strong” ties to JA. All can be left behind for a “better” American life. All subjective to the CO. And sad that it’s this way.

She doesn’t work for a company, only selling the things that they farm. Not sure about how much income she brings in from renting or farming but she lives a comfortable life. She’s in her late 50’s... 

Timeline

Yup she has to pretty much show that she has a reason to go back. In our eyes, all the reasons you listed are legit but not to the CO. And I think it’s subjective to the CO as well. Shame. 

58 minutes ago, angelbrown said:

Yup she has to pretty much show that she has a reason to go back. In our eyes, all the reasons you listed are legit but not to the CO. And I think it’s subjective to the CO as well. Shame. 

Agree

i know a couple of people who have similar kind of passive income at home, live in the US and get it sent here as part of what they fund living expenses with. If it’s not something that requires you to be physically present most of the time, it’s not a tie. If it’s a family farm and she has family there they can do the sales.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

I really appreciate everyone's insight.... It sounds as though my mother in laws chances of getting a visitor visa is slim to none and that's truly heartbreaking.  

My husband will apply for citizenship next February, and as a citizen he can file for both of his parents to immigrate to the US, can you use a immigrant visa to travel back and forth? She's not looking to live here but if it's the only way for her to be able to visit and spend time with us and her grandchildren it seems like that is our only choice. 

Edited by ANF2014

25 minutes ago, ANF2014 said:

I really appreciate everyone's insight.... It sounds as though my mother in laws chances of getting a visitor visa is slim to none and that's truly heartbreaking.  

My husband will apply for citizenship next February, and as a citizen he can file for both of his parents to immigrate to the US, can you use a immigrant visa to travel back and forth? She's not looking to live here but if it's the only way for her to be able to visit and spend time with us and her grandchildren it seems like that is our only choice. 

Immigrant (IR5) visa is for living in the US, not as a substitute for a B1/B2.

You cannot spend the majority of your time outside the US on a greencard and hope to retain it

Timeline
7 minutes ago, jskibo said:

Immigrant (IR5) visa is for living in the US, not as a substitute for a B1/B2.

You cannot spend the majority of your time outside the US on a greencard and hope to retain it

Well, in our case that might be the best option... they're not approving her to get a visitor visa because they feel she wants to live here, even though she could easily get an IR5 to immigrate. My point is she doesn't want to live in the US but if getting a immigrant visa is the only way to maintain a solid relationship with her son and his family that do indeed live in the US that's the route we'll have to go. 

Timeline

Can they not visit her?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Can they not visit her?

We visit all the time! We go to Jamaica every 8 months. That's not the point, she should be able to visit us here as well. We just had a baby, and babies shouldn't travel before a certain time, do you think it's okay that a grandparent can't see their newborn grandchild? 

Edited by ANF2014

Filed: Other Timeline
58 minutes ago, ANF2014 said:

So the first thing he plans to do as a new citizen is to file a fraudulent petition for an immigrant parent.  You have a choice; obey the rules.

Remember, once they have green cards, they have OBLIGATIONS to the US. When the officers at the border determine they are abusing their green cards, they will lose them and other opportunities to visit.

When someone CHOOSES to immigrate to the US, they should do so expecting that they will not be able to see their family as they would have been able to had they chosen to remain in their home country.

Edited by CEE53147

Timeline
8 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

So the first thing he plans to do as a new citizen is to file a fraudulent petition for an immigrant parent.  You have a choice; obey the rules.

Remember, once they have green cards, they have OBLIGATIONS to the US. When the officers at the border determine they are abusing their green cards, they will lose them and other opportunities to visit.

When someone CHOOSES to immigrate to the US, they should do so expecting that they will not be able to see their family as they would have been able to had they chosen to remain in their home country.

The petition would not be fraudulent, my husband would love it if his parents moved here! We obey all rules and laws! How dare you speak down to me on your high horse! I was just asking a question. 

Now if his parents come here and don't like it then they have a CHOICE TO MOVE BACK TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY! Getting an immigrant visa does not OBLIGATE you to stay in the US! You can CHOOSE  to move back to your home country and give up your immigrant visa! 

Our intention was for his mother to come visit us here and spend quality time with us and see how life is here! Since she's not able to get a visitor visa to do this then the only option we are left with is for her to get a immigrant visa and she'll have the choice whether she wants to live here or move back to Jamaica. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.