Penny&Lee

Jury Summons / Jury Service

11 posts in this topic

I’ve just received a letter in the mail with a Jury Summons........ selected at random for jury service beginning on August 6th for 2 weeks. What do I do??? I can’t believe it.... my parents tell me it’s almost impossible to get out of it. I had planned to move at the beginning of July.... any help please! What do I do?! Can I get out of it?! Unbelievable!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Penny&Lee said:

I’ve just received a letter in the mail with a Jury Summons........ selected at random for jury service beginning on August 6th for 2 weeks. What do I do??? I can’t believe it.... my parents tell me it’s almost impossible to get out of it. I had planned to move at the beginning of July.... any help please! What do I do?! Can I get out of it?! Unbelievable!!!!

What does this have to do with a k-1??

You just call them and tell them you are moving.  End of story

YMMV

38 minutes ago, Penny&Lee said:

Book your flight, let them know, and say you won't be back within the next 12 months because it's a permanent move. :) I'm not familiar with the jury service system in the UK but I would imagine a permanent move is a pretty good reason to be excused. 

h

57 minutes ago, Penny&Lee said:

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service Try the advice here.

Also don't forget about informing the HMRC that you will be leaving the UK by filing a P85.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Tell the queen you are moving to join the Americans, in exchange of us giving the Britishers our very lovely Meghan. She will let you off the hook.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

25 minutes ago, LizM said:

Book your flight, let them know, and say you won't be back within the next 12 months because it's a permanent move. :) I'm not familiar with the jury service system in the UK but I would imagine a permanent move is a pretty good reason to be excused. 

I did call and he told me that he’s taken me off the system but that doesn’t neccesarily mean I’ve been excused. He told me to send back the letter with reasons to be excused and hope for the best 😩

1 minute ago, BlessedAssurance said:

Tell the queen you are moving to join the Americans, in exchange of us giving the Britishers our very lovely Meghan. She will let you off the hook.

Hahaha! Sounds good, I think that will work

7 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service Try the advice here.

Also don't forget about informing the HMRC that you will be leaving the UK by filing a P85.

Thanks so much! 

And ohhh I will! Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Penny&Lee said:

I did call and he told me that he’s taken me off the system but that doesn’t neccesarily mean I’ve been excused. He told me to send back the letter with reasons to be excused and hope for the best 😩

Hahaha! Sounds good, I think that will work

Good news is you'll have a lot of evidence to prove your case. I would attach a copy of the K1 Visa, write that I plan to adjust status and become a permanent resident in another country, and the one way flight ticket. That should make them stay off for 12 months. And then if they get back next summer, you'll have new proof of permanent residency or waiting for permanent residency :dance:

Also like I said I'm not too familiar with this but maybe filing a P85 will automatically deregister you from jury service as well. Worth looking into.

h

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Regional forum, from General Immigration. This is not an Immigration question and the OP is asking about Jury Duty in the UK not the US. Also as mentioned it is a TOS violation to tell members not to post. Further such comments will results in suspension. Post Violating TOS Removed along with one quoting  it.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 hours ago, Penny&Lee said:

I would think a simple letter would do, stating that as of July x, 2018 you will no longer be resident in the UK because you are immigrating to the United States on a fiancé visa. Therefore you will not be attending jury duty on 6-August. Include photocopy of the visa. Done. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here in the states, a lot of people who don't wanna do jury duty just go in for the interview. When they ask questions they just give them the answer that will get them out of doing it. As in if so and so did such and such how would u see it. Guilty.... lol.. 

probably dont help but, that's how u can get out of it...

event.png

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do OLD SITE

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ NEW SITE

https://www.house.gov/representatives US Congressmen 

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm US Senators 

IN REGARDS TO WHICH DATE TO USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noa1 date is actually they date on ur hard copy. Sadly if u reach the magical 220 day u must wait till 225 to contact Uscis. They use what the new site says. Even if ur paper says X date. 

They added 5 days onto everyone’s accepted on NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.