Jump to content

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I haven't filed my 2017 taxes because my accountant told me since I work and live in Turkey and make less than the poverty line I wouldn't need to file for 2017. I now to to submit a document for why I didn't file my 2017 taxes. What should I include in that file? Do I need to file my 2017 tax return?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Poverty line is not the threshold.  The threshold is the amount of personal exemption plus standard deduction

I ended up now paying anything from 2012-2016 my accountant said not waste money on filing 2017, but should I?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were planning to file Married Filing Separately and your gross income is at least $4050, then you must file the tax return. If you were planning to file Married filing jointly, then you must file the tax return if your gross income is at least $20800. 


If you income was less than that, you can just write a statement on why you aren’t required to file a tax return.


2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US






2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Turkishgirl said:

I ended up now paying anything from 2012-2016 my accountant said not waste money on filing 2017, but should I?

If your income was above the filing threshold then you MUST file.  The IRS may not care but USCIS and the Dept. of State care that you tell the truth on your affidavit of support.  You cannot indicate a number from a tax return that doesn't exist.  The only alternative is to sign under penalty of perjury that your income was below the filing threshold.  If it wasn't, file the tax return.  Just do it.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.