jg121783

Michael Barone: California results suggest blue wave has crested and ebbed

10 posts in this topic

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/michael-barone-california-results-suggest-blue-wave-has-crested-and-ebbed

The only things democrats have to run on are impeach Trump and raise taxes (some democrats have openly called for this). Not a very popular platform. They are gonna have to do better than that.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

4 hours ago, jg121783 said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/michael-barone-california-results-suggest-blue-wave-has-crested-and-ebbed

The only things democrats have to run on are impeach Trump and raise taxes (some democrats have openly called for this). Not a very popular platform. They are gonna have to do better than that.

They openly advocated for raising more taxes to help fund Healthcare for all even Illegals, a house/room for every homeless, and how they need to raise your gas taxes to fund the roads. When they haven't even used the current gas tax to help fund the roads at all it has all been diverted to the general fund.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

They openly advocated for raising more taxes to help fund Healthcare for all even Illegals, a house/room for every homeless, and how they need to raise your gas taxes to fund the roads. When they haven't even used the current gas tax to help fund the roads at all it has all been diverted to the general fund.

They also pushed a regressive tax in the bay area which won this week. For those who don't know, the majority of the wealth in the bay area is in Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin whereas Solano County and Contra Costa county is poorer. Basically housing costs have forced much of the workforce east and they commute via 5 major bridges. The poorer counties voted against tolls, the rich voted for them. 

Edited by Sonea

3 minutes ago, Sonea said:

They also pushed a regressive tax in the bay area which won this week. For those who don't know, the majority of the wealth in the bay area is in Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin whereas Solano County and Contra Costa county is poorer. Basically housing costs have forced much of the workforce east and they commute via 5 major bridges. The poorer counties voted against tolls, the rich voted for them. 

Yeah I found out today about that tax on the radio. I used to live in LA County for 5+ years and only moved in January.  So I am well aware of what's been going on. It is sad that the NorCal office of where I work can not keep people employed there at all and it's a federal job. They are trying to pay $68k a year to work out of Moffett Field which is basically poverty wages. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah I found out today about that tax on the radio. I used to live in LA County for 5+ years and only moved in January.  So I am well aware of what's been going on. It is sad that the NorCal office of where I work can not keep people employed there at all and it's a federal job. They are trying to pay $68k a year to work out of Moffett Field which is basically poverty wages. 

I've lived here for about 11 years now. 68k would have been okay pay up until about 2013 when localized inflation (ie housing) started to roar. We rented back then and a 2 bedroom house was about 1900 in most of the East Bay, 2 bedroom apartments were 1600. Now they are 3100 and 2500 respectively.

25 minutes ago, Sonea said:

I've lived here for about 11 years now. 68k would have been okay pay up until about 2013 when localized inflation (ie housing) started to roar. We rented back then and a 2 bedroom house was about 1900 in most of the East Bay, 2 bedroom apartments were 1600. Now they are 3100 and 2500 respectively.

Good grief. You could live in a rocking 5000 square ft house here for that kind of money. 

When I was single my mortgage was 400 total a month and I rented the apt over the garage for 425

28 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Good grief. You could live in a rocking 5000 square ft house here for that kind of money. 

When I was single my mortgage was 400 total a month and I rented the apt over the garage for 425

57 minutes ago, Sonea said:

Honestly when I moved to Pasadena in 2012 I lucked out and found a 2 bedroom apt for $1185 a month literally 1 1/2 miles away from work, by the time i left in January the rent was up to $1500 a month which was still a steal for that area. Now I am paying $1300 for a bedroom house in NC that's 2500 sq feet with a big front and back yard. I could never have bought a house any where remotely close to my job for anything less than at least $600k in a decent neighborhood that needed a complete renovation.

I worked for a remote office out of Pasadena and our main office was in Menlo Park/Moffett Field where all of our HR is. They pretty much all had to work from home to even survive in the bay area. 

2 hours ago, Sonea said:

2 hours ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I couldn't imagine having to rent in California. We pay $650 a month to rent a 3 bedroom house on 5 acres in the woods (plus I'm allowed to deer hunt here). Given I live in the middle of nowhere where good paying jobs are in short supply and real estate prices are low and I am fortunate enough to have one of the few good jobs around here. We are looking at buying a house soon and likely won't pay over $1000 a month on a 15 year mortgage for what we want. Where I live we do pretty good on our income but it would be rough for us in some parts of California. It's amazing how much cost of living varies in different areas of the country.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

14 hours ago, Sonea said:

I'd still take that over my 3100 dollar a month 1 bedroom apartment in NYC. From 2013 - 2016 it rose to 3300 a month (I think the building now charges 3400). A glorious ~450 square feet.

We picked one of the more expensive neighborhoods to buy in Houston, and are within the "Inner Loop", and still pay far less for our mortgage on a 3500 square foot house.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, jg121783 said:

They, the Pelosi crowd, can run on bringing the economy back to under 2% growth. and open the borders.

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!