Boiler

Autotrader pulls sponsorship of Samantha Bee's Full Frontal show as pressure grows on TBS network over her 'feckless slur'

41 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

The fact you are blanking says it all.

Oliver is usually OK he does have his crazy train moments but with Samantha it is the other way around.

Jon with the benefit of hindsight limited these and kept it funny and relevant, hard act to follow.

I've never seen Samantha Bee's show. She wasn't a correspondent that really engaged me much when she was on The Daily Show so I didn't follow her. We have HBONow so we watch Oliver. He is definitely not spot on 100% of the time...some of his "repetitive angry moments" (as I call them - Where he repeats something angrily, often talking to someone who isn't in the room) are just awkward and not very funny. 

Trevor Noah...I had to look him up. Again, I've seen some clips where he references South Africa and his upbringing that I find quite funny and relevant. 

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I used to watch the Daily Show when Jon was in charge and Samantha would be a guest and fit in very well with that demographic.

Things changed with Jon's departure and would not be surprised if I am not alone in moving on. I would imagine the ratings are not pretty.

I can't imagine anything on TBS has good ratings, and I don't know if Samantha ever got good ratings to begin with. So TBS may genuinely not care so much either way so long as she apologized and they scrubbed it. Likely whomever allowed it to air would have consequences more so than the person that said it. To me these days at least, it seems everyone is trying to copy off of what Jon built (it was a solid show and he was funny even when people disagreed with him), but they just don't do as well. Oliver was always good, don't know why they didn't give the show to him.

1 hour ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

a much greater percentage of the MDL has much more time to sit home and watch the TV

giphy.gif

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

I can't imagine anything on TBS has good ratings, and I don't know if Samantha ever got good ratings to begin with. So TBS may genuinely not care so much either way so long as she apologized and they scrubbed it. Likely whomever allowed it to air would have consequences more so than the person that said it. To me these days at least, it seems everyone is trying to copy off of what Jon built (it was a solid show and he was funny even when people disagreed with him), but they just don't do as well. Oliver was always good, don't know why they didn't give the show to him.

giphy.gif

John Oliver left to go to HBO before Stewart left The Daily Show. 

They may have talked to Oliver before he left and potentially offered it to him (by 2014 Stewart probably knew he was going to leave). However, I believe Oliver was quite happy to go to HBO. I think he likes the weekly format, the leeway he has on HBO, and at least it appears that he has more funding (he does some crazy things that seemingly waste money, almost every week). 

1 hour ago, bcking said:

You know what I'm going to ask...

Do you have the demographic data to support your claim? Someone may have studied TV viewers and political leanings before (very likely) and I'm sure that comes into play when every network considers their response in situations like this.

Samantha Bee was hired for her show intentionally because she has left leaning opinions. That is her target audience. While she may have gone too far in this particular insult, the demographic of viewers for her show may be more in line and that may protect her.

I must have ESP. :jest:

I have 56 years of life experience. I know without a chart, that the vast majority of people that live off the gumberment are not Republicans 

35 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

giphy.gif

Poor guy slid out of the middle and flipped into the left ditch

12 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I must have ESP. :jest:

I have 56 years of life experience. I know without a chart, that the vast majority of people that live off the gumberment are not Republicans 

Well I would want data to support that, plus data to support that they watch more hours of television. Not saying your wrong, but you just can't claim a fact without evidence.

10 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Poor guy slid out of the middle and flipped into the left ditch

You seem familiar with his predicament. Lots of personal past experience sliding out of the middle into a ditch?

Edited by bcking

48 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

it seems everyone is trying to copy off of what Jon built (it was a solid show and he was funny even when people disagreed with him), but they just don't do as well. Oliver was always good, don't know why they didn't give the show to him.

giphy.gif

Nailed it.

IMO Colbert and Oliver were the only band members with enough talent to make it solo.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
1 minute ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Nailed it.

IMO Colbert and Oliver were the only band members with enough talent to make it solo.

That would make sense. They both left on their own schedule where as time forced Samantha Bee to try her hand.

1 hour ago, bcking said:

Oliver on HBO is obviously very far left, but I still find him quite funny (though my wife is getting more and more irritated with his obvious disdain for the Monarchy).

I admit I like him a lot even if he is Far Left just like I like Bill Maher as well. They are smart and funny even though Jon has his moments and drove me away after the election. I have recently started watching him again because it's obvious that someone talked with him about not alienating his viewers too much so he is more watchable now. But I love how he pretty much has been banned from Ecuador, Thailand, and Venezuela for calling out their BS.

1 hour ago, bcking said:

John Oliver left to go to HBO before Stewart left The Daily Show. 

They may have talked to Oliver before he left and potentially offered it to him (by 2014 Stewart probably knew he was going to leave). However, I believe Oliver was quite happy to go to HBO. I think he likes the weekly format, the leeway he has on HBO, and at least it appears that he has more funding (he does some crazy things that seemingly waste money, almost every week). 

Oh you know he LOVES that leeway that PREMIUM CABLE gives him to do pretty much whatever he wants within reason. I love his a lot of segments he runs where he calls out peoples BS and his interview with Stephen Hawking was AWESOME!!!!

3 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I admit I like him a lot even if he is Far Left just like I like Bill Maher as well. They are smart and funny even though Jon has his moments and drove me away after the election. I have recently started watching him again because it's obvious that someone talked with him about not alienating his viewers too much so he is more watchable now. But I love how he pretty much has been banned from Ecuador, Thailand, and Venezuela for calling out their BS.

He pretty much spends the first 5 minutes of any episode talking about SOMETHING involving Trump. I can imagine that for people who generally support Trump, that would be annoying. Even for my wife and I we get sick of it a little. At least he doesn't do a "Trump impersonation" like a lot of the nightly "comedy news" people do. That's been old for over a year now.

His best "main stories" are the ones that go above "party politics". The one on Rehab last week for example. You don't have to be a Democrat or a Republican to realize those places are money making schemes that BENEFIT from failing their patients.

Edited by bcking

Just now, bcking said:

He pretty much has spends the first 5 minutes of any episode talking about SOMETHING involving Trump. I can imagine that for people who generally support Trump, that would be annoying. Even for my wife and I we get sick of it a little. At least he doesn't do a "Trump impersonation" like a lot of the nightly "comedy news" people do. That's been old for over a year now.

Yeah that's what kinda drove me away last year in all honesty. But I think he has since cooled down on that.

I think Bill Maher discriminated against me because I am a Trump Supporting Conservative and thus wouldn't give me tickets to watch his when I live in LA. God, I tried so many times to get those tickets for months to no avail.

50 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I like Maher also.He has some strong libertarian leans 

6 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I like Maher also.He has some strong libertarian leans 

I like him because he is like me a Constructive thinker and he calls it like he sees it. I always like to watch him on Friday nights with a cold beer to get a good laugh. But what sucks is I live on the East Coast now so I have to watch it at 10pm but when I lived in LA I could watch him at 7pm if I wanted to.

Edited by Cyberfx1024