23 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2018 at 9:05 PM, Sal11 said:

Hey folks;

Ive a question! 

My husband applied for me under f2a category last june. Im from Pakistan, i just need to know that while your case is pending under f2a category can you apply for tourist or visit visa? Im just so looking forward to meet him! :( please help!!

Yes you can Sal11.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 6/4/2018 at 12:20 AM, Byrd1 said:

u cant apply 2 in same time it give u and ur husband a hard time like me 9month we fight for it to draw one case 

Oh so should I stick to f2a? 

On 6/5/2018 at 9:16 PM, J.A.G 2016 said:

Yes you can Sal11.

I’m so confused atm bud :(

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 6/10/2018 at 8:14 PM, J.A.G 2016 said:

Don't get confused Sal11,you can apply for the tourist visa with a pending i130.I did and got tru' and i know a ton of ppl who did too.Don't get discouraged give it a try.

Thank you so much for the motivation!!! 😻

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I am someone who does a ton of research.

I saw a few of your post so gonna see if I can help across the board and explain

Here is what you need to know:

I-130 : This is asking approval from US for you to come. This does not mean you have permission to enter  but it means you have approval to apply for entry (aka Visa ) because your BC cleared. Once approved it gets sent to NVC.

the NVC : Responsible for getting you a visa number Since you are F2A, there is a set quota, it takes upto two years to get your Visa. 

Now if your Husband becomes a citizen, depending on where your I-130 is:

at USCIS: send naturalization certifica, copy of NOC1 and 129F to try to get in faster as K3 (you will have to show proof you met within the last two years from date of sending for 129F). You still have to wait for approval from USCIS for this.

at NVC: no need to bother with 129F as you are now upgraded to IR-1, just inform NVC to proceed with counselor processing. Now all reports across forums suggest, even if you send it, they pretend to not receive it. This might require manually calling till they confirm they got your husband's copy of citizenship.

As for tourist VIsa:

You are more than welcome to apply, but you have to show enough proof you have ties back to Pakistan to return, some property in your name or education in progress etc. 

It also gets tricky here, if the Counselar officer approves it, it is still upto the discretion of the CBP officer at the port of entry to let you enter USA.

Be honest, be clear and precise with your intention. Try booking another trip that is after your visitor trip to show more evidence you will return

Some clarifications...

11 minutes ago, saladboye said:

I-130 : This is asking approval from US for you to come. This does not mean you have permission to enter  but it means you have approval to apply for entry (aka Visa ) because your BC cleared. Once approved it gets sent to NVC.

the NVC : Responsible for getting you a visa number Since you are F2A, there is a set quota, it takes upto two years to get your Visa. 

Not exactly. The I-130 is solely for the purpose of establishing a legal relationship between the petitioner and beneficiary for the purposes of applying for an immigrant visa. The visa is just a document to used to apply for admission under a given status. The actual approval for entry is only at POE.

Upon approval, NVC will 1) hold onto the packet until the PD is current, then 2) package and prepare documents for the embassy, including an initial review of the I-864. Once they receive those documents and finish processing the case, it goes to "Case Complete" status, and they work with the embassy to schedule an interview date.

The wait for the PD to become current for F2A (from initial I-130 filing) is currently approximately 2 years.

Now if your Husband becomes a citizen, depending on where your I-130 is:

at USCIS: send naturalization certifica, copy of NOC1 and 129F to try to get in faster as K3 (you will have to show proof you met within the last two years from date of sending for 129F). You still have to wait for approval from USCIS for this.

K-3 is obsolete. Only 29 were issued all last year, with ~56% refusal rate at the embassy stage. Current USCIS and NVC policies make getting an I-129F for a K-3 through NVC nearly impossible.

K-3 was more common back when a CR-1/IR-1 was taking 2-3+ years to process.

There is no 2 year meeting requirement for a K-3...that's an IMBRA requirement, which only applies to K-1 cases.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.