pinkpaws

Traveling with an AP (with previous B2 overstay)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I adjusted from a B2 (I overstayed my visa by 6 months before adjusting) through marriage to a USC. My question is would I be able to travel back to my home country for a visit (about 30 days) and return to the US without any issues? I understand that entry is at the discretion of the CBP official, but would the overstay be a cause to deny entry in the first place? Or was the overstay "forgiven" once AOS was filed?

Thank you!

Two-Step Adjustment of Status from B-2 Visitor's visa
Step 1: Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

10/11/15 - Got married

01/30/17 - Sent I-130 packet to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox via FedEx

02/01/17 - Packet delivered

02/06/17 - Received Email/Text NOA1

02/10/17 - Received NOA1 (I-797C) hardcopy in mail

Step 2: Form I-485 Adjustment of Status (AOS)

03/21/17 - Sent I-485 (together with application for EAD and AP) packet to Chicago, IL Lockbox via FedEx

03/24/17 - Packet delivered

04/10/17 - Received Email/Text NOA1

04/14/17 - Received NOA1(biometrics appointment & I-797C) hardcopy in mail

04/24/17 - Biometric appointment (Oakland USCIS)

04/24/17 - Received RFE in mail for I-485

04/26/17 - RFE document sent to USCIS via FedEx

05/01/17 - Packet delivered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Once you have a new Visa it is valid. The CBP doesn't second-guess if you should have one. You shouldn't be refused entry based on any prior Visa. That is all taken into account when issuing a new visa. If you weren't admissible, you wouldn't get a new Visa. 

Edited by bakphx1

Every entry of a non US citizen is at the discretion of CBP. That said, unless there is a reason that CBP believes AP was issued in error or that something makes you inadmissible since AP was approved, there shouldn't be a reason for them to have any issue.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

If you came in with b1-b2, you can't travel with the Visa. Because you have overstayed. If you go out without your green card or parole, you won't be able to return to the State. So better know that. You will be issued a travel documents and authorization to go back and forth without so, if you succeed from leaving here, honey you can't return back with the b2 visa you got. Am from Africa and I know all of this. So just be patient and soon you will be able to go as much as you want. My candid advise

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Queenrey said:

If you came in with b1-b2, you can't travel with the Visa. Because you have overstayed. If you go out without your green card or parole, you won't be able to return to the State. So better know that. You will be issued a travel documents and authorization to go back and forth without so, if you succeed from leaving here, honey you can't return back with the b2 visa you got. Am from Africa and I know all of this. So just be patient and soon you will be able to go as much as you want. My candid advise

Yes, I am aware that I won't be able to return to the US using my B2 visa since it was automatically canceled with the overstay. I do have my AP card though and my question was if I was able to return to the US (with no issues), given that I overstated my B2 visa.

Two-Step Adjustment of Status from B-2 Visitor's visa
Step 1: Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

10/11/15 - Got married

01/30/17 - Sent I-130 packet to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox via FedEx

02/01/17 - Packet delivered

02/06/17 - Received Email/Text NOA1

02/10/17 - Received NOA1 (I-797C) hardcopy in mail

Step 2: Form I-485 Adjustment of Status (AOS)

03/21/17 - Sent I-485 (together with application for EAD and AP) packet to Chicago, IL Lockbox via FedEx

03/24/17 - Packet delivered

04/10/17 - Received Email/Text NOA1

04/14/17 - Received NOA1(biometrics appointment & I-797C) hardcopy in mail

04/24/17 - Biometric appointment (Oakland USCIS)

04/24/17 - Received RFE in mail for I-485

04/26/17 - RFE document sent to USCIS via FedEx

05/01/17 - Packet delivered

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
On 5/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, pinkpaws said:

I adjusted from a B2 (I overstayed my visa by 6 months before adjusting) through marriage to a USC. My question is would I be able to travel back to my home country for a visit (about 30 days) and return to the US without any issues? I understand that entry is at the discretion of the CBP official, but would the overstay be a cause to deny entry in the first place? Or was the overstay "forgiven" once AOS was filed?

Thank you!

I  overstayed H1-B for 21 days between jobs after I got laid off from a job. I just entered San Francisco CBP with AP without any problems. I went through the Secondary inspection and didn't get asked any questions by CBP officers. I even brought our marriage certificate, my husband's birth certificate, and all receipts. They didn't checked any of them. I did consult with my immigration attorney before I left the country. My attorney said as long as I have valid AP, I can come back to States. If I ever get rejected entry, I can ask for parole for deferred inspection to enter the country and provide additional info later. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/21/2018 at 10:31 PM, geowrian said:

Every entry of a non US citizen is at the discretion of CBP. That said, unless there is a reason that CBP believes AP was issued in error or that something makes you inadmissible since AP was approved, there shouldn't be a reason for them to have any issue.

Correct. As per Matter of Arabally, this is settled law and you are not "departing" and therefore the ban does not come into play. you are fine to travel and re-enter with AP, although CBP is entitled to its routine inspection of you 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.