lngtimecoming

Marry in US while visiting??

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I have searched the site and found conflicting answers to my question. Can I marry my American fiance while visiting the US, then return home to Canada and start paperwork for spouse visa? He seems to think this is allowed.

Edited by lngtimecoming

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes it is allowed. You plan to return to Canada then start the process. What is not allowed is to  plan to enter the US, get married and then stay before your arrival. 

Getting married and leave is perfectly legal. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Yup, it's perfectly allowed. You just need to leave the US on time.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

You don't have to disclose it unless asked, but you do have to be honest with anything they do ask.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, lngtimecoming said:

Thank you Ontarkie...would I need to tell them at the border that I was intending to marry while I was there or would that just open a big can of worms?

Our lawyer decided against me coming in to the US with the intention of marrying while on a tourist visa. The very reason what you have asked "to say or not to say during CBP questioning" Our lawyer advised that if you have the intention of marrying & you told the CBP that youre only visiting a friend or touring, it is classified as falsification. Geowrian is right, you would have to be honest when asked but in my opinion, apply for a K1 visa, & once you get the visa, you have 90 days to get married in the US. Consult an immigration lawyer before taking any actions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
45 minutes ago, maxxann said:

Our lawyer decided against me coming in to the US with the intention of marrying while on a tourist visa. The very reason what you have asked "to say or not to say during CBP questioning" Our lawyer advised that if you have the intention of marrying & you told the CBP that youre only visiting a friend or touring, it is classified as falsification. Geowrian is right, you would have to be honest when asked but in my opinion, apply for a K1 visa, & once you get the visa, you have 90 days to get married in the US. Consult an immigration lawyer before taking any actions.

Not true. If they say they're visiting their fiancé, that is the truth.

If the CBP officer asks if they plan on getting married, then they need to say yes. But it's not a lie not to say upfront that the reason for visiting is marriage since it is not the only reason.

I did exactly that last summer. I said I was visiting my fiancé, wasn't asked more, got married in the US, went home and filled for CR1. Went back for Christmas and had no problem being admitted with the petition pending and saying I was visiting my husband.

Now obviously, there's not guarantee you'll be admitted in the first place, depends on CBP and if they have no doubt that you'll go back home.

Edited by peachouille

N-400 (Field Office: Milwaukee WI)

Spoiler

06/10/21: Case received

06/10/21: NOA

08/06/21: Biometrics

12/10/21: Interview scheduled

01/21/22: Interview

01/24/22: Approved!

02/17/22: Oath Ceremony!!

ROC (Service Center: National Benefit Center MSC, Field Office: Milwaukee WI)

Spoiler

06/17/20: Case received

06/30/20: NOA

07/02/21: Biometrics

01/21/22: Interview (combo with N-400)

01/24/22: Approved!

CR-1 Visa (Service Center: Nebraska - Consulate: Belgium)

Spoiler

07/31/17: I-130 Priority date

08/02/17: I-130 NOA1

02/26/18: I-130 NOA2

03/15/18: NVC Received (Pivot)

06/12/18: NVC Case complete

07/26/18: Interview, approved!

27 minutes ago, peachouille said:

Not true. If they say they're visiting their fiancé, that is the truth.

If the CBP officer asks if they plan on getting married, then they need to say yes. But it's not a lie not to say upfront that the reason for visiting is marriage since it is not the only reason.

I did exactly that last summer. I said I was visiting my fiancé, wasn't asked more, got married in the US, went home and filled for CR1. Went back for Christmas and had no problem being admitted with the petition pending and saying I was visiting my husband.

Now obviously, there's not guarantee you'll be admitted in the first place, depends on CBP and if they have no doubt that you'll go back home.

Like I said, she need to tell the truth. In my example if she said she's touring instead, then it's falsification. Depends on the CBP officer. As I have said, in my case our lawyer decided against it & has also recommended I dont travel to the US while my case was being processed, my husband did the travelling. That was all our precautionary measures. It is not mandatory. We just want a smooth processing. 

Perfectly fine to marry within the USA and leave.  Pack an appropriate bag. Have a return ticket.  Bring evidence of your ties to Canada.  Disclose as much as required when entering.  I always said I was visiting my husband except for once when we weren't married (I was visiting my boyfriend... lol)  It also would have been truthful to say I was on vacation or visiting friends.  

People have destination weddings in the USA all the time.  Be truthful but concise.  There's never any need to give the CBP your life story or babble nervously. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I have always said I was visiting a friend when going over to see him....sometimes they ask his name and then how we met where he works his address etc. We have been visiting (mostly me going there) for 16 years now.

Timeline
18 hours ago, lngtimecoming said:

Hello,

I have searched the site and found conflicting answers to my question. Can I marry my American fiance while visiting the US, then return home to Canada and start paperwork for spouse visa? He seems to think this is allowed.

I did exactly this.  Was suppose to be going to visit my boyfriend for 3 months, he asked me to marry him the day after i got there. We decided to get married a few weeks later.  I stayed a total of 5 1/2 months then came home to Ontario.  We filed our paperwork in January.  Still waiting on our NOA2.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Be prepared to prove strong ties to Canada so they do not suspect you are coming and then adjusting from inside the US. Otherwise yes you have to be honest but you do not have to volunteer the marriage unless asked. People do elope to the US all the time.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

Be prepared to prove strong ties to Canada so they do not suspect you are coming and then adjusting from inside the US. Otherwise yes you have to be honest but you do not have to volunteer the marriage unless asked. People do elope to the US all the time.

I'm a full time student (graduating in December) would a letter from the school that I am enrolled and due back to class on a certain date help? I also have a part time job that I have been employed at for 15 years, I'm assuming a letter with my next shift listed after vacation along with my job title and years of employment would be helpful?  I don't have a lease for my apartment but I have lived here for years and have utility bills in my name with my address...any other suggestions for proof would be appreciated!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, lngtimecoming said:

I'm a full time student (graduating in December) would a letter from the school that I am enrolled and due back to class on a certain date help? I also have a part time job that I have been employed at for 15 years, I'm assuming a letter with my next shift listed after vacation along with my job title and years of employment would be helpful?  I don't have a lease for my apartment but I have lived here for years and have utility bills in my name with my address...any other suggestions for proof would be appreciated!

https://www.us-immigration.com/blog/how-to-show-ties-to-home-country-during-a-visa-interview/

https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/73503/0/filename/Status%2Band%2BIntentions-Strong%2BTies.pdf

From the CBP website instead of an immigration blog. 

If you dont feel comfortable clicking on a pdf try this:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1192/kw/Ties to home country

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.