John & Rose

ITIN while waiting on visa?

62 posts in this topic

Just now, Hank_ said:

I change my mind ... :lol:     Patience may be the better idea.

Social security numbers.

Don’t complete Form W-7 if you have an SSN or if you’re eligible to get an SSN. You’re eligible for an SSN if you’re a U.S. citizen or if you have been admitted by the United States for permanent residence or U.S. employment.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7

The plot thickens!  I need something for the bank to show intermingled finances but if the COs understand that this is not as easy as it sounds I can probably just wait for the SSNs.  She wants me to become a citizen there so my name can be on her property but from what I know of the Philippines, we will be together in the states and retired before I get the Filipino passport and land changes can be made.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

3 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Although my spouse is not from Philippines, we have experience with ITIN. When I got married, I had him fill out the W7 application. Once I got back to the states I went to the IRS to submit it, and I was told that I could ONLY submit it with my taxes - as it was for tax purposes, not for business related purposes (he wasn't here on to work). I found an accountant who was able to certify it at tax time and sent it off and it was approved within about 4 weeks without a problem. 

There is a list of documents that you have to submit as well. We filled out the W7 a couple of different ways and my accountant told me which one was correct. 

If you would like me to send you images of our W7, certification of acceptance and proof we submitted, send me a private message and I would be glad to do just that. 

When I added my husband to my health insurance, they just used his birth date until I got the ITIN and it was a non-issue. Will they be able to use your health insurance in the Philippines or are you just adding them so you don't have to go through the process once they get here? 

We have not been able to find a bank in the United States, ITIN or not, who will open an account without my spouse physically present. Your best bet to having a joint account, if that is something you are hoping for, is to find a US based bank in the Philippines and open an account while you are there. 

Thank you for the offer.  It seems like I have a bit of time and I was just getting curious about some of the tedious little "gotchas" that I will be facing.  It is all still early since we won't even be getting married until June 11.  I guess I just don't want to miss anything that I need to do.

I will be going there next week so I will check to see if there are any local banks that we can setup for a joint account.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

The plot thickens!  I need something for the bank to show intermingled finances but if the COs understand that this is not as easy as it sounds I can probably just wait for the SSNs.  She wants me to become a citizen there so my name can be on her property but from what I know of the Philippines, we will be together in the states and retired before I get the Filipino passport and land changes can be made.

Philippine citizen .. good luck with that one.

As for land in the Philippines, you can get your name on the deed just being married (and a foreigner).   And there is a narrow path from there that allows a foreigner to own real estate.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The COs know it. Don’t stress about it. My proof of co-mingled finances back then were the remittance slips that my husband is sending me monthly allowance but the CO didn’t even ask for them. All he wanted to see were our photos. 

Filed: Timeline

If you go the ITIN route, be sure to notify the IRS once the SSN has been received.

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/additional-itin-information

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
55 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Since I will be the sole support for Rose and the kids, is it advisable for me to get them ITIN's while they wait for their visas and eventually their SSNs?  I am just trying to get all the ducks in a row.  I fly to Manila next week to do the family seminar and apply for the marriage license.  Right now the wedding is planned for June 11.  I want to get them on my insurance from work and get them to be "official" dependents.  Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

If we talk about taxes - a spouse can not be claimed as a "dependent". But  you can use standard  deduction ($24 000.00 in 2018) if file MFJ.

Kids as your "dependents".... Well, it depends how long your IR1/CR-1 will take - kids have to be under 18 at the end of 2018, US residents and they have to live with you at least half of the year (a residency test). And yes, ITIN or SS# is required.  

6 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

If we talk about taxes - a spouse can not be claimed as a "dependent". But  you can use standard  deduction ($24 000.00 in 2018) if file MFJ.

Kids as your "dependents".... Well, it depends how long your IR1/CR-1 will take - kids have to be under 18 at the end of 2018, US residents and they have to live with you at least half of the year (a residency test). And yes, ITIN or SS# is required.  

Nothing is ever easy!  We are rushing the marriage after a failed K-1 because Rose's son turns 18 in July and I need to establish the step father relationship so he can come to the states with his mother and sister.  We are trying to dot all the "I"s and cross all the "T"s.  We won't even file for the CR-1 until late June so I don't anticipate them being in the states before Christmas of 2019.  We are getting married in about 3 weeks.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Nothing is ever easy!  We are rushing the marriage after a failed K-1 because Rose's son turns 18 in July and I need to establish the step father relationship so he can come to the states with his mother and sister.  We are trying to dot all the "I"s and cross all the "T"s.  We won't even file for the CR-1 until late June so I don't anticipate them being in the states before Christmas of 2019.  We are getting married in about 3 weeks.

I'm so sorry to hear your I-129F/K1 got denial.... It's frustrating! Wish you ALL the BEST during CR-1 process!!!! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Take the W-7 for each and make a trip to an acceptance agent.  The following is a public list of Acceptance Agents for Forms W-7.

image.thumb.png.da40dba5f858b5a8e50699ecf8a12774.png

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Take the W-7 for each and make a trip to an acceptance agent.  The following is a public list of Acceptance Agents for Forms W-7.

image.thumb.png.da40dba5f858b5a8e50699ecf8a12774.png

Nice!  I wonder how long it takes to get the marriage certificate back.  We will plan a trip to Ermita on a visit after the wedding visit!  Thank you.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Nice!  I wonder how long it takes to get the marriage certificate back.  We will plan a trip to Ermita on a visit after the wedding visit!  Thank you.

The one agent is right across the street from the US Embassy

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

I guess if I don't want to claim them on taxes for 2018 (getting married in June) I can just wait for POE and SSN.  I was hoping for a deduction to help a little.

I believe on the tax return is asks if they LIVED with you during the tax year, so I think they have to be physically living in your household to claim them, or have been living with you at some point. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

I change my mind ... :lol:     Patience may be the better idea.

Social security numbers.

Don’t complete Form W-7 if you have an SSN or if you’re eligible to get an SSN. You’re eligible for an SSN if you’re a U.S. citizen or if you have been admitted by the United States for permanent residence or U.S. employment.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7

I  believe that you can only get the SSN in person.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

Thank you for the offer.  It seems like I have a bit of time and I was just getting curious about some of the tedious little "gotchas" that I will be facing.  It is all still early since we won't even be getting married until June 11.  I guess I just don't want to miss anything that I need to do.

I will be going there next week so I will check to see if there are any local banks that we can setup for a joint account.

Let me know how it goes when you guys setup the joint account, we want to do the same this year. 

Also, I'm positive (but it could be very much bank specific) that they won't let you add your wife on your bank account until she is there in person (we had to have a SSN first). But honestly this is way ahead of where you guys need to be, the CR-1 doesn't even need that kind of evidence, of course for AOS but that is part of the CR-1 right?

Edited by javadown2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.