Minnesota12345

She said yes, I talked to a lawyer, but do we need one? And other questions!

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Hi all, I'm super happy to be joining the ranks of sponsors/beneficiaries in the near future. I have a few questions that y'all might be able to help me out with.

Why might we need a lawyer? We both have clean criminal records, no previous marriages or children, and solid finances (though we don't share as of yet - should we for the sake of placating Uncle Sam?)

Can we translate our own documents? How do we provide "certification" if we're both fluent in English and Spanish but have no formal translation credentials?

She hasn't met my parents because I have no relationship with them.  Is this a problem? I have ample evidence of spending time in Ecuador with her family/friends and any of my friends can attest that she and I are practically inseparable, though we need to take some photos with them :D 

Why is the Minneapolis office so slow? Is there any hope for it speeding up? She's currently in the States, EWI with visitor only intent, I just popped the question and, due to the long processing time, we're considering her sticking around at the recommendation of a friend of mine who is a former EOIR officer after the wedding unless the wait times reduce in the next few months. Is this problematic? Or should I be packing for another Ecuadorian adventure?

Edited by Minnesota12345

IF she's already in the US just file AOS for her. It takes about 12 to 14 months and she'll get a green card. She cannot leave US during the process though (only small trips when she receive her travel permit) and her final interview will be in the US. 

You don't need a lawyer. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Roel said:

IF she's already in the US just file AOS for her. It takes about 12 to 14 months and she'll get a green card. She cannot leave US during the process though (only small trips when she receive her travel permit) and her final interview will be in the US. 

You don't need a lawyer. 

The current USCIS wait time for our local office is the worst in the nation, hence why we're thinking that. Any thoughts on my other remarks?

4 minutes ago, Minnesota12345 said:
Hi all, I'm super happy to be joining the ranks of sponsors/beneficiaries in the near future. I have a few questions that y'all might be able to help me out with.

Why might we need a lawyer? We both have clean criminal records, no previous marriages or children, and solid finances (though we don't share as of yet - should we for the sake of placating Uncle Sam?)

Can we translate our own documents? How do we provide "certification" if we're both fluent in English and Spanish but have no formal translation credentials?

She hasn't met my parents because I have no relationship with them.  Is this a problem? I have ample evidence of spending time in Ecuador with her family/friends and any of my friends can attest that she and I are practically inseparable, though we need to take some photos with them :D 

Why is the Minneapolis office so slow? Is there any hope for it speeding up? She's currently in the States, EWI with visitor only intent, I just popped the question and, due to the long processing time, we're considering her sticking around at the recommendation of a friend of mine who is a former EOIR officer after the wedding unless the wait times reduce in the next few months. Is this problematic? Or should I be packing for another Ecuadorian adventure?

You do not NEED a lawyer for this process.  The help you get here will be as or possibly more accurate and they don't charge by the hour here.  You can still get one but in my experience, they tend to make things tougher rather than easier.

You can translate the documents and since you can speak to the CO, you should not have a problem.

Not knowing parents doesn't matter.  As proof of relationship it is good to have some family photos.

Are you already married or getting married?  If you are married the CR-1 is the right choice.  If you aren't married yet, the K-1 is an option.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 minute ago, Minnesota12345 said:

The current USCIS wait time for our local office is the worst in the nation, hence why we're thinking that. Any thoughts on my other remarks?

Your local office may not be assigned your case.  At one point ALL K-1 petitions went through California no matter where you live. I am just starting the CR-1 process after making it unsuccessfully through the entire K-1 process so I have some experience on the other side of things.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
2 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Your local office may not be assigned your case.  At one point ALL K-1 petitions went through California no matter where you live. I am just starting the CR-1 process after making it unsuccessfully through the entire K-1 process so I have some experience on the other side of things.

Oh man, best of luck to you. This is nerve wrecking for me already. I love my fiance and just want our family to be united.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

You do not NEED a lawyer for this process.  The help you get here will be as or possibly more accurate and they don't charge by the hour here.  You can still get one but in my experience, they tend to make things tougher rather than easier.

You can translate the documents and since you can speak to the CO, you should not have a problem.

Not knowing parents doesn't matter.  As proof of relationship it is good to have some family photos.

Are you already married or getting married?  If you are married the CR-1 is the right choice.  If you aren't married yet, the K-1 is an option.  

The K1 is an option, but then she has to adjust status and that's a longer time until she is able to work. We WILL be filing marriage paperwork in the USA before her departure/decision to stay, however, it sucks because she doesn't have that much with her. Time for a trip to Forever 21?

1 minute ago, Minnesota12345 said:

Oh man, best of luck to you. This is nerve wrecking for me already. I love my fiance and just want our family to be united.

It is certainly not what we thought we would be doing now but we are both focused on family and not the journey.  It is very important to keep those things separate.  Don't let the journey impact your relationship.  Be strong and be VERY patient.

IMG_5168.jpeg

If she doesn't have anything going in her country, then just adjust now.. IF you send paperwork now the wait for the work permit is just about 3 to 5 months. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Roel said:

If she doesn't have anything going in her country, then just adjust now.. IF you send paperwork now the wait for the work permit is just about 3 to 5 months. 

Our lawyer said we have to wait 90 days from her entry at minimum, so we're thinking of allowing 4 months to allot just to be safe. That said, that would be a good thing for us, for sure.

There is no 90 day rule, just so you know. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Roel said:

There is no 90 day rule, just so you know. 

We definitely want to avoid presumption of misrepresentation: https://www.nafsa.org/Professional_Resources/Browse_by_Interest/International_Students_and_Scholars/DOS_Expands_Presumption_of_Misrepresentation_Rule_to_90_Days/

Our intentions were good and honest but as this is already a scary process to jump right into, we'd like to take the coming weeks to just read while we let this arbitrary time period pass.

Edited by Minnesota12345

12 minutes ago, Minnesota12345 said:

We definitely want to avoid presumption of misrepresentation: https://www.nafsa.org/Professional_Resources/Browse_by_Interest/International_Students_and_Scholars/DOS_Expands_Presumption_of_Misrepresentation_Rule_to_90_Days/

Our intentions were good and honest but as this is already a scary process to jump right into, we'd like to take the coming weeks to just read while we let this arbitrary time period pass.

Hi,

As said before the 90 day rule does not apply as she is already here, the intent was addressed at the POE when she was admitted into the USA, so if you want to you can get married asap & do the AOS as soon as you have your documentation together.

So no need to wait for 90 days to start the paperwork.

Brian 

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, John & Rose said:

At no point did all K1 petitions go through California.  There was a time half did.  There was also a time about 40% of adjustment of status from K1 cases went to California.  

I'm seeing some indication now that the National Benefits Center in Lee's Summit, MO is fully processing some concurrently filed, AOS cases without using local offices but not 100% certain of that yet.

Since was here as a visitor and your accepted proposal has changed her intentions, there is no reason not to file the I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131 concurrently, ....UNLESS....she has a personal need to leave the US sometime between NOW, getting married, filing the forms, PLUS three or four months.

If you file those forms and she leaves too, soon, you will fail and need to start over with a visa process instead.  Start with the appropriate Guide here on VJ.

The process discussed about DOES NOT take 12 to 14 months.  To completion and green card, it's possible to take that long but expect advance parole and work authorization in three to four months from filing.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, Roel said:

You don't need a lawyer. 

Unless you are a qualified, licensed, family based Immigration attorney ALREADY fully aware of ALL the person's circumstances, you have NO BUSINESS telling somebody they don't need a lawyer, AND to do so is a violation of the VJ terms of service.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.